tekobo

Chilli roast cauliflower

I am mining a rich seam of Turkish recipes from the cookbook Oklava at the moment.  On the assumption that there are probably copyright issues if I simply type out the recipe, I thought I would look to see if the recipe had been published online.  It has been, here https://myhungryvalentine.com/en/chou-fleur-roti-selin-kiazim-oklava/, in French.  Translate into language of your choice. 

Here are my non-copyrighted photos.

You rub large chunks of cauliflower in a mix of two bottled Turkish tomato sauces - one hot, one mild - and some olive oil.  Alongside is a copy cat "road kill" cook in the style of @Aussie Ora.  Two lumps of frozen tarragon butter under the skin and covered in Dizzy Pig's swamp venom.  No sriracha stix yet @tony b.

5adae64942138_fYa80i9STWOQHjsehe9g.thumb.jpg.b9ac632dbb4ba14744481c3764a4d8ab.jpg

The chicken was cooked to the right temp but came out blacker than I would have liked.  Any tips?  Should I have oiled the skin?  Maybe ambient temp too high?

fullsizeoutput_90f.thumb.jpeg.edc04af506d2fc5fadd4b25b02c856ba.jpeg

The cauliflower recipe called for blackening the cauliflower in a dry pan after cooking for 15 mins.  I baked for half an hour in the KK instead and then browned on the grill bars.

xqLV9sp3Tx6TpnPCUVpuBQ.thumb.jpg.f82de17c664e2de629f13a1a8057743a.jpg

Add toasted pistachio nuts, parsley, onions and a sumac dressing.  Super delicious.

KudgSibvSDioxsAH2nQOTg.thumb.jpg.f317cfa7fce19a228cdde0b2c75146a3.jpg

• Like 7

I am mining a rich seam of Turkish recipes from the cookbook Oklava at the moment.  On the assumption that there are probably copyright issues if I simply type out the recipe, I thought I would look to see if the recipe had been published online.  It has been, here [mention=2714]Aussie Ora[/mention].  Two lumps of frozen tarragon butter under the skin and covered in Dizzy Pig's swamp venom.  No sriracha stix yet [mention=975]tony b[/mention].
5adae64942138_fYa80i9STWOQHjsehe9g.thumb.jpg.b9ac632dbb4ba14744481c3764a4d8ab.jpg
The chicken was cooked to the right temp but came out blacker than I would have liked.  Any tips?  Should I have oiled the skin?  Maybe ambient temp too high?
fullsizeoutput_90f.thumb.jpeg.edc04af506d2fc5fadd4b25b02c856ba.jpeg
The cauliflower recipe called for blackening the cauliflower in a dry pan after cooking for 15 mins.  I baked for half an hour in the KK instead and then browned on the grill bars.
xqLV9sp3Tx6TpnPCUVpuBQ.thumb.jpg.f82de17c664e2de629f13a1a8057743a.jpg
Add toasted pistachio nuts, parsley, onions and a sumac dressing.  Super delicious.
KudgSibvSDioxsAH2nQOTg.thumb.jpg.f317cfa7fce19a228cdde0b2c75146a3.jpg

Tarragon is a great spice. Everything looks teriffic. Bing you buter to room tempWith the chook I cook it up high on the extender rack nice even cook and crisps the skin evenly then on the main rack .everything else below

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Aussie Ora said:

Bing you buter to room tempWith the chook I cook it up high on the extender rack nice even cook and crisps the skin evenly then on the main rack .everything else below

Thanks, I hadn't considered using the upper grate that way.  That will create more space on the main grate too, bonus.  Yes, I would normally have softened the butter but ran out of time.  The interesting thing is that some of the butter stayed liquid, trapped beneath the skin.  It came out all nice and oozy, like that 80s favourite chicken kiev, when we cut into the chicken.  Definite do again.  

• Like 3

Thanks, I hadn't considered using the upper grate that way.  That will create more space on the main grate too, bonus.  Yes, I would normally have softened the butter but ran out of time.  The interesting thing is that some of the butter stayed liquid, trapped beneath the skin.  It came out all nice and oozy, like that 80s favourite chicken kiev, when we cut into the chicken.  Definite do again.  
Yum .the extender rack is the way to go plus the chook retains so much more moisture then on the main grate less heat

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Tekobo that looks pretty tasty, but the  cauliflower must’ve been pretty spicy? 

Bruce, the name of the recipe is a bit misleading.  It should really say tomato roast cauliflower.  You only add 2 tablespoons of "hot" Turkish tomato sauce to 4 tablespoons of normal heat tomato sauce and the hot sauce isn't particularly hot.  The swamp venom on the chicken was OK too.  The Husband isn't as heavy handed as me with the rubs and the chicken came out with a gentle heat.  

1 hour ago, MacKenzie said:

The cauliflower in the La Chamba is looking very colourful and tasty. :) What temp were you running the grill? I am curious about the chicken as I have trouble getting mine dark enough. Over coloured but tasty on the inside no doubt. :) 

Yes, working my way through my La Chamba purchases.  Loving them and the food.  I think the grill was over temp. Can't get to my MEATER log as the phone has run out of power but I remember that the temp was still rising at the end of the cook and had hit 268C.  I didn't bother to throttle it back at that point because the cook was almost over.  In future I will do more looking - I have started to rely on what the MEATER tells me and forgotten that you need to take a peep or two to make sure everything is on track.  

• Like 1