alimac23

Aussie delivery experiences

Hi All,

i got a 23” KK in the same delivery with Bonfire. Had a bit of a mare getting it up 3 awkward stairs, but no damage thankfully, although I’m on Napraxon for a week I expect having done my back in trying to move it ! Life’s like that. 

Simple question to start, any idea where to get a Flaming Coals Electric Charcoal Starter Wand in Perth ?

I can only find looflighters - and I’m told the others are better - any tips appreciated 

Steve

• Like 1

Steveoncoals, welcome, I have used a Bernzomatic torch and it works perfectly, a few seconds with the torch and then some air supplied by a  Milwaukee M18 Compact Blower  and you are off to the races-

Blower.JPG.4f666f586d2bbf8c85f1327d3bbf48cc.JPG

The blower is pictured here without the battery. I find the combination of the torch and blower give me complete and fast control over my fire. Plus I get to use the blower to do some clean up jobs.

• Like 1

Wow another stunning KK. I wouldn’t envy you getting up flights of stairs. 

I don’t normally use any electric lighters minutes. Gives me time to prep the cook and get a beer. I find that the KK is pretty easy to get going without the extra gizmos. For a pizza cook where I am heating the stone, I let it heat soak for 1.5 hours some start and it’s fine 

If I am stuck for time, I used to use a el cheapo hairdryer. Nowdays I use a makita cordless blower like Mackenenzie. That gets it going fast. But again, I find I don’t have to do this often. 

Have fun with the first cook

• Like 1

My starting routine is the MAPP torch weed burner and FiAir blower combo. 

https://smile.amazon.com/FiAir-Charcoal-Tailgating-Campfires-Fireplaces/dp/B00D5FS7HA

https://smile.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-JT850-Self-Igniting-Outdoor/dp/B00008ZA0F

If I need a big fire quickly, Plan B is the charcoal chimney and these starter cubes.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C3KO7X0

Welcome Steve, this place is chocablock full of people with good advice, glad you got it up to your deck area no hassles. Looks sweet 

We thought we we're having a hard time with our shipping agents but once they got sorted what needed doing it fell into place quite quickly. :smt023

It’s a good point. I have my blower to clean my pool area. The KK was a bonus. I have a petrol one too...that is too powerful for this hahaha

The makita one has 3speeds and you can vary the throttle as well. Like MacKenzie says you have to control it otherwise ashes everywhere and it it also sparks. I take the grates out and go top down. 

I did go through the vents once doing a low and slow where the coals were dying. Yep... make sure you do that slowly as ashes on the food... I learnt the hard way. 

Send more pictures when you have time 

• Like 1