Stevesoncoals

Brisket and Short Ribs - Help !

I think I’m going to go the same way with the Guru in combination probably with fireboard.
 I’m going to go the same way with the Guru in combination probably with fireboard.
My only hesitation is all the comments on here around not needing a fan. I realise that the Komodo is generally very stable, but I did find some variation, particularly rising of temps unexpectedly during the low and slow (275 up to nearly 350) which if I wasn’t home when it happened I think would have ended badly .... alternatively I’m over thinking it and it wouldn’t have made a blind bit of difference. 
I’m going to get one anyway, why should kids get all the toys !!!!

It looks like the guru pit viper fan medium is on sale. But shipping price is expensive.
Let me know how you go.
I would recommend the Fireboard as a thermometer. Well made. I got some comp temp probes which are straight- figure they would be easier to put through the kk temp probe holes. I also got the weather resistant case. Good luck. Mine only took a week to get to Perth. You will also have to get the fan control cable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just opened the box to my FireBoard.  Solid little unit. I ordered it with the cover, extra ambient temp prob and fan cable.  If I end up getting a fan, which I am still on the fence about I’ll get the guru pit viper. I bought the fireboard because I wanted a WiFi/Bluetooth thermometer that could run a fan.

On 5/21/2018 at 6:08 PM, Tangles said:

Ok So if you want to have a fan with the Fireboard you need to purchase their fan control cable at $89usd. This cable allows you to plug in a 12v fan with a 2.5mm power adapter.

You can purchase a fireboard fan for $59uss but it’s got a square connector so not perfect for the KK.

The guru pit fan (medium) fits the KK. Their support team sent me this.

“I can confirm that our fan is 12v and it does have a 2.5mm cord but I cannot confirm that it is compatible. Our products are made specifically to use with our controls so I cannot advise you to use these components with a Fireboard. Using them with another control will automatically void the warranty. “

So I suspect it works but I don’t know 100% sure.

I will make do without a fan as Aussie says the KK doesn’t need it. The thermometer is all I need.

I like my gadgets so it’s been hard for me to resist getting a fan but ultimately it’s probably waste of money in my situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Fireboard and I bought the pit viper fan for KK compatibility.  I can confirm it works, although they gave me the "Void the Warranty" song and dance as well when I inquired...  Haven't used it with my KK yet, but another reason I chose it was that I could get adapters for all my various kamado's that would work with the pit viper fan.  I really wasn't sure how things would work with the square ported fan that Fireboard is offering as far as that goes.  I have an Akorn Jr, Vision Classic B and Kamado Joe Big Joe all of which I can use that fan with (with adapters).  Didn't see if they had one for the mini BGE because.... well that just seems like it would be silly.  lol.

• Like 2

I have the Fireboard and I bought the pit viper fan for KK compatibility.  I can confirm it works, although they gave me the "Void the Warranty" song and dance as well when I inquired...  Haven't used it with my KK yet, but another reason I chose it was that I could get adapters for all my various kamado's that would work with the pit viper fan.  I really wasn't sure how things would work with the square ported fan that Fireboard is offering as far as that goes.  I have an Akorn Jr, Vision Classic B and Kamado Joe Big Joe all of which I can use that fan with (with adapters).  Didn't see if they had one for the mini BGE because.... well that just seems like it would be silly.  lol.

Thanks for that. Appreciate the feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I’m going to go the same way with the Guru in combination probably with fireboard.
 I’m going to go the same way with the Guru in combination probably with fireboard.
My only hesitation is all the comments on here around not needing a fan. I realise that the Komodo is generally very stable, but I did find some variation, particularly rising of temps unexpectedly during the low and slow (275 up to nearly 350) which if I wasn’t home when it happened I think would have ended badly .... alternatively I’m over thinking it and it wouldn’t have made a blind bit of difference. 
I’m going to get one anyway, why should kids get all the toys !!!!
The only time I have seen variables like that is when I arked up to many coals at the start

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

16 hours ago, Tangles said:

But shipping price is expensive.

Holy Moses. Ordered the fireboard tonight and went to get the fan and got the shock of my life (well almost). Over $100 for shipping a $44 fan !!! Might have to wait until someone goes to the US for work. Ouch, I’m not paying that on moral grounds ... well... sort of

1 hour ago, Stevesoncoals said:

Holy Moses. Ordered the fireboard tonight and went to get the fan and got the shock of my life (well almost). Over $100 for shipping a $44 fan !!! Might have to wait until someone goes to the US for work. Ouch, I’m not paying that on moral grounds ... well... sort of

I wouldn't bite with that shipping price either. Do you know the shipping weight? I've shipped about 10 lbs of sauces/rubs/spices to Aussie in Perth for half that price USPS! If you really want one, buy it but have it shipped to one of us here in the states and have us mail it to you instead. I suspect it will be a whole lot cheaper!!

Yep.... it’s crazy. That’s what stopped me too.

Fireboard ship via ups. The guru guys use dhl I think and that’s why it’s more expensive.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, tony b said:

I wouldn't bite with that shipping price either. Do you know the shipping weight? I've shipped about 10 lbs of sauces/rubs/spices to Aussie in Perth for half that price USPS! If you really want one, buy it but have it shipped to one of us here in the states and have us mail it to you instead. I suspect it will be a whole lot cheaper!!

I've already bit or should i say been bitten, just out of curiosity tony what are they charging for shipping within the US

Edited by BonFire

Perhaps we can go halves on shipping. Might contact my relatives in the US and see if they can forward it to Perth. Otherwise may take up the offer from Tony

The Fireboard got here in 1 week. Was fast

So very generous Tony. We get the Australia tax.... basically pay more for everything

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Tangles said:

Perhaps we can go halves on shipping. Might contact my relatives in the US and see if they can forward it to Perth. Otherwise may take up the offer from Tony

Just say the word. 

20 hours ago, BonFire said:

I've already bit or should i say been bitten, just out of curiosity tony what are they charging for shipping within the US

They ship out of Pennsylvania. Standard UPS ground shipping to my address in Iowa is $14.29 per their website. 

On 5/24/2018 at 6:47 PM, Tangles said:

Perhaps we can go halves on shipping

Good news, bbqguru can send 2 units with USPS for $53 (plus $44 for each fan). The $53 is the flat fee for shipping 1 or 2 units - so I’ve asked whether I can get a 3rd for that price in case anyone else Westside would like IN on the order. Tangles let me know if you’d still like one at that more morally acceptable price !! Bonfire want a spare ;-)  ?

Good news, bbqguru can send 2 units with USPS for $53 (plus $44 for each fan). The $53 is the flat fee for shipping 1 or 2 units - so I’ve asked whether I can get a 3rd for that price in case anyone else Westside would like IN on the order. Tangles let me know if you’d still like one at that more morally acceptable price !! Bonfire want a spare ;-)  ?

Yep. Count me in.