Chanly1983

Please help the newbie.

Hello everyone!

A little intro, I am 35 and live in Wisconsin with my wife. I worked in fine dining restaurants for about 12 years then I started welding and now I am a CWI for the company I work for.

I have drooling over Dennis’s product for a few years and my wife finally gave me the go ahead. I just called Dennis and I have settled on a 32” with a cold smoker and gas insert to get it started in the lovely winters here. I have A LOT of cooking equipment but only for indoors. So I am basically going to buy everything I need at once. Dennis and I talked about a side table with cutout. I am going to have him build it because I was thinking this setup, but with slide outs. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  I was thinking of having it pre-drilled for an extension cord and power strip. Also maybe something to hang the propane tank.

As for the odds and ends I will need I am scratching my head and need some advice from the members here.  I just ordered a single Meater Thermometer to try and if I like it I was going to buy the “block.”  I was also looking at Octofork rotisserie and basket. I was also looking at getting some sort of stoker for those over night cooks that I am soooo excited for! 

As as for the rest of the stuff that I need or should want I don’t know where to begin, so any help would be awesome.

Cant wait to join the family!!!

34F5BDFA-1FE4-4D03-BDA9-0E516DE45467.jpeg

• Like 1

Welcome! Nothing like diving right in. Some questions, answers and suggestions.

Do you bake bread or pizza? If so, get the baking stone. 

Regarding a stoker, I use a BBQ Guru CyberQ on occasion. It works well. 

I like the spit rod with OctoForks. You can get the OneGrill rotisserie motor from OctoForks as well. 

Get a cover.

Consider a Baking Steel Griddle. Great for smash burgers and certain types of pizza (NY Style). Also great indoors.

Consider a sous vide circulator if you don’t have one. The sous vide/outdoor grill combo is killer for certain things.

Get a grill floss.

The Meater is nice. Also get a thermapen from Thermoworks if you don’t have one. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply! I know I can’t wait to, to wait! If you know what I mean.  I was actually just looking at the options from sunbrella for covers for both the table and the grill.

Funny you should mention the Sous vide, I actually have 2 of the joules units... I love them and recommend them to anyone that will listen.

I was planning on getting a stone for pizza and breads.

i will definently look into the baking steel and the thermapen.

Thanks again for the reply.

• Like 1

Congrats mate .sounds like your kitchen is full that's 3/4 of the game there .the occys are something I'm looking to get one day lol but  for starters rotrie rod ,pizza stone .griddle check out your local camping store I got a nice round one for a fire pit  that fits great.Thermo pen is very useful after you have cooked enough you will wonder why you bought the stocker 

• Like 1

The splitter was recommended by Dennis and now on my list.

i keep hearing about the baking griddle and after seeing it pop up so much on the forum it is now also on the list.

Thanks for the 2 recommendations

How about rotisserie stuff?

Also charcoal recommendations?

Thanks again for the responses and I am glad to be finally taking the plunge into the KK family!

Also what is everyone’s opinion on color? The two I am looking at are Dark Terra Cora or Mattie Black Pebble. I will be putting a side shelf on it and having a teak table butted up to it, both with stainless top. If anyone has this combination and would like to share pictures I would be very greatf.

For rotisserie: I like the spit rod + OctoForks + 3rd party baskets. Dennis' cradle is great too, but I don't use it as much since getting the spit rod and OctoForks. It's also a bear to clean.

Charcoal: If you can't get Dennis' coco or coffee char, use any lump you like. Some like Royal Oak (cheap), others go premium like Fogo. I find Fogo chunks to be too large -- like pouring a small uncut tree into your basket. I'm about to try Rockwood, which is medium priced and gets good reviews.

Color: Olive Gold Pebble cooks better than the rest. Proven fact.

Is the spit rod from Dennis or Octofork?

I knew I was opening up a can of worms with the color question :) but the only colors available on the store are autumn, blues and blacks. The 2 different colors I wanted Dennis told me he hasn’t seen them in years.

Only Dennis' spit rod will fit the KK. Get the spit rod from Dennis, then aftermarket forks, baskets (if you want them), and motor from OctoForks.

Just peaked at the web store -- yeah, looks like some change in the color lineup. Best advice I can give you is take a good look at your surroundings and imagine what would look best there. For me, olive gold pebble was the right answer.

931685210_2016-11-1313_49_22.thumb.jpg.19614f1383e1c2954d1995748f8a7c10.jpg

Sounds like you're getting some good tips. I'll just second a few.

I'm in IA, so DEFINITELY get the Sunbrella cover. You will need it come winter time! 

I have almost all the rotisserie gear - use almost all of it, but honestly, not a big fan of the OctoForks. YMMV

I'm a homebrewer, so I use Powdered Brewers Wash (PBW) to soak the rotisserie gear in, makes clean up a breeze! 

Pizza stone is a MUST.

I have a MEATER and love it. I backed them on Kickstarter. The Block is still in development and probably won't be available until end of the year - maybe? They've had lots of problems with it during development, so wait until it's actually available to order one. 

Order as much of Dennis' charcoal and smoking woods as you can fit on the pallet with the grill. It's the only way to get it, as he can't find a shipper to send charcoal to the US by the container right now. 

Get a 2nd charcoal basket to go with the basket splitter; makes swapping out so much easier. 

Charcoal - I've tried dozens. My favorite is Weekend Warrior by Wicked Good Charcoal - if you can find it. My go-to right now is Rockwood. Trying my 1st bag of Blues Hog charcoal (yep, same folks that make the BBQ sauce), so jury is still out on it. Went through a lot of bags of Fogo - burns hot with a mild smoke flavor, but a PITA to light, sparks heavily, and lots of pieces are too big and have to be broken down to be useful. Royal Oak is a good standby and is usually readily available at your local big box hardware store. Get lump, not briquettes. If you have any questions about charcoal, go to the Naked Whiz's database (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm)

And PLEASE, no lighter fluid!!! Will permeate the ceramic and you won't get rid of the smell. Get a chimney, MAPP torch, Looflighter, wax starter cubes - ANYTHING but petroleum lighter fluids. 

Smoking wood - big fan of the cast iron Dutch oven smoker pot. Search the Forum for the "DIY" on it. Here's a great source for actual smoking wood - https://fruitawoodchunks.com/shop?olsFocus=false&olsPage=t/wood-for-smoking

Won't overwhelm you with info just yet about rubs/sauces/marinades. They'll be plenty of time for that later, once your grill arrives!

Oh, a parting shot - Dark Autumn Nebula is the BEST color!! 

• Like 1

I just received my 32” a couple months ago.  I do really realy like the basket splitter.  Would recommend.  I ordered the external smoker later, but haven’t been able to play with it much other than for a salmon hot smoke.  The only other accessory that I have bought so far is the double bottom drip pan.  I generally just use that as my heat barrier for indirects.  Congrats on your purchase!  You’ll love it.

So far my list is

32” color undecided

teak double cabinet with stainless top and stainless slide out shelves (also side shelf with stainless)

basket splitter

double drip pan

Rotisserie with octoforks and baskets

cold smoker

baking stone

sunbrella covers

gas attachment

Baking steel

bbq guru CyberQ (for piece of mind cooking in the middle of winter in Wisconsin)

teak haus end cut cutting board

thermapen mk4 ir

Looftlighter

and that should get me set for awhile

o yeah and tons of smiles and meat, fish, veggies, bread, pizza, cheese etc 

• Like 2

Great list. I’d recommend two small tweaks...or at least think about tweaking.

1) Rather than looftlighter, get a MAPP torch. 

2) I have a double bottom drip pan for my 23 and almost never use it, so didn’t buy one for my 32. Unlike most ceramics, which require thick ceramic heat deflectors (your KK comes with them too, but you’ll never use them), all you need as a heat deflector on most low and slow cooks is a sheet of aluminum foil on the lower grate. For something that will produce a lot of moisture you want to prevent hitting the fire, a disposable drip pan will do. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2018 at 9:45 AM, Chanly1983 said:

MAPP torch is a good idea, and cheaper.

the double drip pan is more for catching the drippings and turning them into gravies and such.

Yup, that’s the only time I use the double bottom pan. However, even then there are other ways to skin that cat. For example, by cooking on a cooling rack suspended over a disposable pan. Not trying to talk you out of it. Just make you aware of the alternatives.