Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
GASMAN

New rotisserie user...need help with setup

I need some assistance with setup... I have a 23in roti from Dennis and a One grill motor...no instructions to put together and videos with parts that don't seem to match exactly what I have here.  The square post that goes into one grill motor fits but the other side does not seem to marry with anything...it is not ground into a hexagon but instead has eight sides that seem to be poorly ground....any suggestions would be helpful as I have 2 chickens waiting to be spun

Thanks

3 hours ago, GASMAN said:

I need some assistance with setup... I have a 23in roti from Dennis and a One grill motor...no instructions to put together and videos with parts that don't seem to match exactly what I have here.  The square post that goes into one grill motor fits but the other side does not seem to marry with anything...it is not ground into a hexagon but instead has eight sides that seem to be poorly ground....any suggestions would be helpful as I have 2 chickens waiting to be spun

Thanks

Can you post some pics of the parts you have? Sounds like you have the drive shaft, but you're saying it doesn't fit inside the KK?

Yes, we'll need pics of the various parts to guide you through this. 

To quote a previous POTUS - "I feel your pain." Getting your rotisserie initially set up is often a trial and error process and even sometimes having Dennis send you different parts! 

• Like 1

Not sure if you are still having trouble....

The spit rod has one end where the end piece has a screw. This allows it to be adjusted in length. I didn’t have to adjust the roti rod. That end belongs one the left hand side of the KK.

Inside the KK the left hand side is spring loaded. If you have never used it before you may need to loosen it. I used a screwdriver and some wd40 to loosen it. Don’t go overboard with the wd40. Just a very small squirt. You should see spring action once loosen.

Push the rod in the left hand side and the right hand side should go in easily. You may need to align the rod by turning it to fit it in.

It would have come with brackets for the motor. The bracket is in two parts and is help together with wing nuts or push screws. Take this apart.

One part will have three holes. That needs to be attached to the Outside of the KK. You need to unscrew the screws on the right hand side of the KK and fit this bracket. Let’s call that one the kk bracket.

Put the motor on the other part of the bracket. Let’s call that one the motor bracket. Put in the motor pin. Line up to the kk bracket (attached to the KK) and then use the wing nuts to tighten the two brackets together.

Okay this last part may have 2 issues.

1) the motor pin may have to be cut to size. You will see this if the motor pin is too far for you to put the motor bracket back onto the KK bracket. That is horizontal fit is not right. I had to trim down by 12mm. I used an angle grinder to do this. Was easy to do
2) the motor pin is not lined up vertically. I found the bracket on my motor was set too high vertically. I used the angle grinder to cut down the bracket on my motor so it sat down lower on the motor bracket.

You have to remember that it’s been design to take all motors so some adjustments may be necessary. I believe there are certain motors that do not need any adjustments.

If you are still having problems, let me know I can capture some pictures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@Tangles thank you very much for this clear description of how to fit a rotisserie in a 23".  It gave me the confidence to try to fit mine today.  I think I will have to make some adjustments but I want to first check that I have correctly understood what is required.  

First, pick the right KK?

I ordered the roti arrangement for the 23" but it appears to be short by a long way.  My first thought was that there must be some other part I am missing but the next picture shows that it is likely that I was sent the rod for the 21" by accident.

fullsizeoutput_feb.thumb.jpeg.cc97053f61511016049557c32468c3bb.jpeg

Rod just slightly tight on the 21"

fullsizeoutput_fec.thumb.jpeg.23fd2eea58aa6512ebbe565017247901.jpeg

In your note above you said:

On 5/20/2018 at 12:34 AM, Tangles said:

The spit rod has one end where the end piece has a screw. This allows it to be adjusted in length.

and

You may need to align the rod by turning it to fit it in.

How does this adjustment work?  I pushed the rod into the LH hole on the 21" and tried to rotate to get the rod to fit but couldn't get it to clear.  I am guessing the next step is to cut just a little off the RH end of the rod?  Or is there something more I can do to adjust without cutting?

I have had the parts for so long, waiting for electricity to be fitted to my ODK, that they had been separated and were in different boxes and I wasn't totally sure what parts went with the Guru set up or the roti or whether something came with the One Grill motor.  I would just like to check that I have understood correctly that when you say:

It would have come with brackets for the motor. The bracket is in two parts and is help together with wing nuts or push screws. Take this apart.

One part will have three holes. That needs to be attached to the Outside of the KK. You need to unscrew the screws on the right hand side of the KK and fit this bracket. Let’s call that one the kk bracket.

Is this the "kk bracket"?

fullsizeoutput_ff1.thumb.jpeg.7e7f5c1ed936820d26b5c0d065b33d5a.jpeg

Put the motor on the other part of the bracket. Let’s call that one the motor bracket.

Is this the "motor bracket"?

fullsizeoutput_fef.thumb.jpeg.d4dfa94abae529f2b996a3b16b8c5bcf.jpeg

Grateful for any advice, whether from @Tangles or whoever else knows about these things.  I am in no hurry.  The chicken is still frozen and I may well wait until another day to try this out.  Don't want to be stressed out AND hungry!

53f01sw2TSeQ%4x45bVuqg.jpg

[mention=2957]Tangles[/mention] thank you very much for this clear description of how to fit a rotisserie in a 23".  It gave me the confidence to try to fit mine today.  I think I will have to make some adjustments but I want to first check that I have correctly understood what is required.  

First, pick the right KK?

I ordered the roti arrangement for the 23" but it appears to be short by a long way.  My first thought was that there must be some other part I am missing but the next picture shows that it is likely that I was sent the rod for the 21" by accident.

fullsizeoutput_feb.thumb.jpeg.cc97053f61511016049557c32468c3bb.jpeg

Rod just slightly tight on the 21"

fullsizeoutput_fec.thumb.jpeg.23fd2eea58aa6512ebbe565017247901.jpeg

In your note above you said:

Is this the "motor bracket"?

fullsizeoutput_fef.thumb.jpeg.d4dfa94abae529f2b996a3b16b8c5bcf.jpeg

Grateful for any advice, whether from [mention=2957]Tangles[/mention] or whoever else knows about these things.  I am in no hurry.  The chicken is still frozen and I may well wait until another day to try this out.  Don't want to be stressed out AND hungry!

432148404_53f01sw2TSeQ4x45bVuqg.thumb.jpg.477ecf65225aed4f0acda8abe4de2cc0.jpg

Hey Tekobo

Looks like that’s the rod for the 21 there. The hexagon end goes to the right so looks like you have it the wrong way around.

Should be this way around. Apologies for the bad photos. I went outside to take them and it’s pitch black out there.

The second picture shows the spit on the left hand side with the round end of the spit roti. You need to press this side in. The first time I ever used it I needed to put some WD40 and get a screw driver to loosen up the spring. Once you have it loosen you will see it pushes in so the rod can fit into the kk.

The third picture shows the right hand side which is the hexagon side of the rod.

2de199ed348c2f24c91240bb575c3cb1.jpg

cbd2051496a711620914118c9412c861.jpg

27d964cb3bd27ff9255b3eacc690f2f3.jpg

The spit rod on the left can be screwed off to put on a spear. This is used to spear meat onto the rod easier.

You will not need to trim the spit rod at all. Well I didn’t anyway and I am sure Dennis team will always have this right.

The bracket is shown below.

c42786e59125ad9f6921941f920eccfe.jpg

Mine has spring loaded nuts and believe there are versions with wing nuts. Take the bracket apart by twisting the spring loaded nuts or wing nuts.

0a499e8d6a39a05906e8f813482b21e2.jpg

The bracket with the three holes is what I called the kk bracket - not sure what it’s really called. You install this on the outside of the kk on the right hand side. Unscrew the 3 screws on the right side of the kk. You will probably need the Allen key to do this. Bolt on this bracket on by screwing back the nuts and washers and tightening with the Allen key.

The second part of this bracket is for the motor - what I termed the motor bracket. There should be a small rod (motor rod) that came with the package. Put in the motor rod into the motor. One side of the rod will fit the motor hold and the other side back into the kk.

Slide the motor onto the motor bracket. Fit the two brackets back together again by screwing the spring loaded screws (or wing nuts) back together.

Now you may need to trim the motor rod if the brackets can not be put back together. That is, what I termed the kk bracket and the motor bracket can not be put back together. It’s a really easy adjustment to make. I just marked it with a marker then trimmed it with an angle grinder. The motor rod needs to cater for all sorts of motors so will likely be too long to allow people to trim to size.

Now you may also have trouble with the vertical alignment. If the motor rod (fitted to the motor) is not aligned vertically to the kk hole. Mine wasn’t so I had to trim away the bracket attached to my motor. This is the actual motor itself (not what I have been calling the motor bracket above). Sorry if this sounds confusing. I will take a picture of this later and repost. I think mine sat slightly too high before I trimmed it. Again I believe Dennis team have set it for most motors but they can be different. Was an easy adjustment.

I hope this helps. When I do a roti next I can post some better pictures of how it all fits together.

Sing out as I can take more pictures tomorrow if needed. It’s no troubles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh the other bracket you took a picture of... I am not sure what that is. I didn’t get one of those. I suspect it’s for different types of motors. It must attach to what I termed the motor bracket somehow.

Oh the other bracket you took a picture of... I am not sure what that is. I didn’t get one of those. I suspect it’s for different types of motors. It must attach to what I termed the motor bracket somehow.

I think it fits onto the bottom of what I termed the motor bracket. Must be secured by the screw. Not sure what it does though

Actually Tekobo I didn’t look at the picture of your rod properly.

You definitely have it the wrong way around. The hexagon side goes into the right hand side.

The other side being square isn’t quite right. You should have a piece that screws onto this to this. There are two other pieces that would have come with the package. They screw onto the square side of the rod. One round piece and a sharp spear. The spear is used to pierce meat onto the rod. I didn’t figure this out until I did it the hard way. The round rod piece is to put on when you want to put into the kk. This round rod piece goes on the left hand side of the kk.

I believe that rod you have is for the 23. when you attach this extra round piece on the square end of the rod it should fit nicely into the 23. Third world problems when you have 2 kk’s I suppose.

Geez... I hope this makes sense.

See picture
b77c3f4f8e8e58e5f50a062f9713b760.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey there @Tangles.  Thank you very much for all of this.  I would have responded sooner but was out in the baking heat, repotting some hydrangeas that were fed up with drying out every day. Funny to think that it is dark and late at night where you are!  

I did have one extra piece but I am not sure that it looks like yours.  I will hunt all the bits out again and have a play to see how I get on.  Thanks a lot and I will come back for more if I need more photos.  

I just saw this and here is what mine looks like but it is the older version. I never use the point only used it in the beginning and really never needed it and if I did a paring knife was easier.

The point

58701019_Pointedend.thumb.jpg.b1af468b2551fbd9dda250caea817766.jpg

goes into the left hand side. Only used for piercing the meat and then remove it before putting rod into the KK.

1762722085_AttachPointedEndHere.thumb.jpg.a07d5827c502977ae36ad187028fa761.jpg

973159211_PointedendAttached..thumb.jpg.ce5ef2f3afece118784283b2c4082972.jpg

Rod ready to install.

LHS of KK                                                                                                                                                                                                         RHS of KK

535451746_ReadyInstallingIntotheKK.thumb.jpg.b0edfdc9f3b6ee16d0496c5c7dffe90c.jpg

Welcome to the roti puzzle that most of us have enjoyed. :) 

You can make some adjustments to the left hand side of the rod to make the rod a little longer. My whole rod was too long and I did grind some off the RHS but be careful with this, not so easy to put it back on once removed. ;)

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Tangles and @MacKenzie.  All good.  Once I knew what I was looking for, the plastic bag with the two tips became obvious.  Have fitted the RH tip and may just venture out into the heat to have a play.  But then again, I might stay indoors where it is nice and cool.  I never imagined it would get so hot in England that I would sit indoors with the curtains shut to keep the heat out.  Yikes!

• Like 1

Yippee!  The rod, with the extra right hand side piece, fits the 23" KK beautifully.  Humble apologies to Dennis and his staff for ever even imagining that they would have sent me the wrong rod.  No apologies for being bewildered by all of this though.  Without guidance I would never have figured this out on my own.  With guidance it is a job of less than 5 minutes to put it all together.  A neat pinned post with pictures/video of what to do would be very helpful for newbies I am sure.

The One Grill motor turns the rod just fine.  As you can see from the photo below, the "motor rod" is about 1" too long for this motor. Next step will be to cut off that 1" unless one of you tells me that I have missed something and shouldn't be doing that.  I say "I".  The Husband is on standby with whatever one uses to cut such things but we agreed I would check with you first before proceeding. 

fullsizeoutput_ff3.thumb.jpeg.8cbc4586d96278f58799fd4e607c7ad7.jpeg

Thanks @MacKenzie.  My One Grill is different to yours because...it is not a One Grill!  My mistake, calling it a One Grill.  Dennis helped me select this 240V motor: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072HPVRTB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My rod is 3.5" long too but it only goes 1" into the motor which is why we will need to cut it down.

Edited by tekobo

OK, that probably explains the problem. I would think you are safe to cut the square end, maybe you want to do 2 cuts??? Unless you know the exact space you want between the motor and grill. Good luck. :)