Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
GASMAN

New rotisserie user...need help with setup

Ended up having to cut 1" off the motor rod and also two little bits off the bracket on the non-Dennis motor to get the vertical alignment right.   All of that fades into insignificance when you get to eat chicken like this:

109577551_RlqRg6mcTsCxB31cRrXYQ.thumb.jpg.9570ddfd1ba2cca6a96bb50f8c8e46e0.jpg

I was all set to say: "it's been fun trying rotisserie but I can't see that it is worth the effort".  Instead I am saying: "wow, that was good!".  Had the chicken with ratatouille and figs marinated in lemon and balsamic vinegar and covered in mint.  Delicious.   

• Like 4

KK rotisserie is the only way I cook whole birds these days. It really is that good and yours looks delicious. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad you got it working. Looks delicious.
I remember you could get nice game birds to try in the UK. I did a duck while ago and that was great on the roti.
Chicken is always a winner on the kk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

@ tekobo - late to the game (very busy weekend!) - That flat piece of metal with all the slots in it at various angles, is actually the bracket for your Guru. You bend it to make a table top holder for the control unit. There are two metal "buttons" on the back of the Guru that slide into the 45 degree slots on the end of the bracket. 

• Thanks 1

All this rotisserie chicken talk. Had my son pull a small (not an industrial monster) local chicken out of the freezer. 400* semi direct rotisserie cook for 90 minutes. Skin was super crispy, breast was still moist. You can't kill a chicken on a KK rotisserie ;)

rcck.thumb.jpg.aca8041ca14b8a9240161fb014605e62.jpg

Sorry not the most in focus picture. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, golfingfool said:

How do you do your Picanha?

A couple Brasilians in Sydney....good tips. I use a flake salt and after your 1st slice salt again and back on the roti for a few more turns before the final carve-up. I do a Chimichurri sauce to go with it....sensational :smt023

IMG_1008.thumb.JPG.5c1b9bedda20bdd73841b16f6b602fe5.JPG

Edited by BonFire
  • Like 2

So many thank yous.  Here goes:

To @Tangles and @MacKenzie thank you helping me fill the gap and get this going on my 23".  

To @ckreef thank you for the cooking info.  I wasn't sure and went for about 180C with the pan underneath and it only took about 57mins to get to temp.  I might go for a mix of direct or indirect next time or pull the shielding pan for the last ten minutes or so to get the skin more crispy.  

To @tony b for the info about the Guru stand.  I might just try the Guru soon.  I have been resisting this "crutch" but I am sure it will be very helpful for long cooks and maybe for the start of cooks when I don't feel confident about leaving the house until the fire has caught and the temp has stabilised.  

To @golfingfool for asking the question that I wanted to ask and to @BonFire for that awesome picanha video.  It reminded me of Brazil.  I want some picanha.  Now!

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 4

This is a great discussion. I am waiting until the summer to add the rotisserie - thinking a suckling pig might be in our future- but it is great help looking forward to assembling the rotisserie.

Jim, Denver

• Like 1

I had to slightly sand down the edge of my rod to make it fit.  It goes in now well, but once in a while (usually after a longer cook) I have to wrestle it out to pull it off.  I might need to take it a hair further but I'm a little scared. 

I just picked up a used KK on craigslist. I  was wondering the following regarding a rotisserie kit.

The BBQ is 23" inner dimensions and 27" outer dimension. The rotisserie receptacle is SQUARE. Does anyone know how to buy the correct rod/motor/ kit etc... for this unit?

Also, the top seal is beat, I'll need one of those too.

Thanks, Pat

IMG_5721.JPG

Yes, thanks but it doesn't answer my question. The link here: https://komodokamado.com/collections/23-ultimate-spare-parts/products/solid-square-square-roti-motor-shaft only features a picture of a 3" part and does not have a picture nor a description of the full part and the full assembly required to purchase a rotisserie kit.  - Pat

Edited by 65 amps

firstly well done 65 amps on sourcing yourself a KK. I am envious.

Here is your gasket link. https://komodokamado.com/collections/23-ultimate-spare-parts

And here is your complete roti link. https://komodokamado.com/collections/23-ultimate/#related-collection-items

There are plenty of posts and helpful people here. If they can't assist you with what you are looking for( and they will try their best to welcome you into this community), Dennis makes a point of being available to answer your questions.

Good luck with your hunt for accessories. post some pics when you get it up and running.

Thanks Basher.  Though, I think I need a heat-check on crazy. Please allow me to bounce this off of you for a sanity-check.

When I clicked on your link for the complete Roti kit for the 23" Ultimate I get this:

image.png.2b9e610d118ac271adcda3f57e2fddeb.png

PLEASE NOTICE the word (Square) in parentheses. So, I assume this is the right choice since my drive socket in the motor-side wall of my BBQ has a SQUARE drive.

But, when I click on the "View details" button I get this:

image.thumb.png.b02af6954c330228c2ee93b4efe6a6c1.png

PLEASE NOTICE  the following in the ABOVE graphic: ****PLEASE CONFIRM YOUR RIGHT SIDE DRIVE SOCKET INSIDE THE GRILL IS HEX NOT SQUARE - THE DRIVE SIDE OF THIS SPITROD IS HEXAGON****

Now do you see why I need a heat-check on crazy?

So, what is it the drive socket suppose to be SQUARE or NOT SQUARE???   lol;)

Can you please advise?

image.png

The main part of the rod is indeed square to facilitate the wingnuts that hold on the spikes (baskets, OktoForks, etc.). The end of the rod is slightly hexagonal to fit into the socket on the right side of the inside of the grill. Same with the drive motor shaft - the motor end is square, but the external grill end is hex. 

I'll defer to Dennis on the history lesson, but the rotisserie parts have evolved over the last few years, so depending on the age of your grill, the design might be different. Hence, the caution to double check your grill before you order rotisserie parts. 

mmmmm, Yes I understand the confusion.

I'd be giving Dennis a call to clearly understand what you require.

As Tony suggested, some components have been modified over the years in the pursuit of excellence..

On earlier KK grills all the sockets were square.  The new design changed them to hexagonal.
Changing them from square to hexagonal reduced the play which made the roti fall forward each half turn. 

Currently, the motor end of the drive shaft is the standard 5/16" square and the grill side is hexagonal. 

And the spit and cradle drive shafts are hexagonal.

When customers order, my staff looks up their grill to ensure they get the proper product.