Hephaestus

Tasmanian sea trout in Montreal

I went to my favourite fish market looking for a fish for some friends that were coming over for dinner. To my surprise they had a shipment of Tasmanian sea trouts. I had first seen these at the famous Sidney sea foot market. When I saw them here in Montreal, I had to get one. Here are the results:

tst1.thumb.JPG.723051b66951eaa2b50596c44a4d4d7e.JPGtst2.thumb.JPG.213b256e73e5ad97cc86dc0ee39074d0.JPGtst3.thumb.JPG.6f122c2c0d2b6eaa4b56b8e92350d3a3.JPGtst4.thumb.JPG.2777ab4c192c353ffd3983b18617edba.JPGtst5.thumb.JPG.40854ed460ea377657b9a04591fc231b.JPG 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, tekobo said:

That looks great @Hephaestus.  Did you do anything special to stop the skin sticking to the bars?

When we grill whole fish, and we do grill a lot here, I proceed as follows:

I heat soak the kk to 400F. Leave it at this temperature for 15 minutes minimum.

I wipe a clean grill with paper towels or a cloth soaked in oil with high burning point. I actually use grape seed oil.

I then place the fish towards one of the sides of the grill with the back side of the fish facing the centre of the grill. This I have found helps with the turning of the fish as well as the actual cooking of the fish, as the thickest part faces the centre where the heat is more intense. 

I adjust the temperature to 350F

Let the fish cook for between 15 to 25 minutes depending on thickness.

Turn the fish over using two wide spatula. It is very important that the fish is turned only once. If you attempt to turn it more than once, it will likely fall appart.

Continue cooking for another 10 to 15 minutes. The fish is done when you can separate the flesh from the bone.

With  little bit of practice, I am sure  you will be able achieve similar results. It works for us every time. The photo below is of an arctic char, which I did last week.

ac.thumb.JPG.9ca9b7277301255c9ec7ab548cd7b158.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When we grill whole fish, and we do grill a lot here, I proceed as follows:
I heat soak the kk to 400F. Leave it at this temperature for 15 minutes minimum.
I wipe a clean grill with paper towels or a cloth soaked in oil with high burning point. I actually use grape seed oil.
I then place the fish towards one of the sides of the grill with the back side of the fish facing the centre of the grill. This I have found helps with the turning of the fish as well as the actual cooking of the fish, as the thickest part faces the centre where the heat is more intense. 
I adjust the temperature to 350F
Let the fish cook for between 15 to 25 minutes depending on thickness.
Turn the fish over using two wide spatula. It is very important that the fish is turned only once. If you attempt to turn it more than once, it will likely fall appart.
Continue cooking for another 10 to 15 minutes. The fish is done when you can separate the flesh from the bone.
With  little bit of practice, I am sure  you will be able achieve similar results. It works for us every time. The photo below is of an arctic char, which I did last week.
ac.thumb.JPG.9ca9b7277301255c9ec7ab548cd7b158.JPG

Thanks for the tips. Looks so tasty. Will have to give it a go this weekend.

Your grill looks so clean!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk