ckreef

Nothing but WFO money!

Going to post WFO money shots in this thread. If anybody has a WFO/pizza oven please feel free to post your money shots if you just don't feel like doing a complete cook thread. 

Had a long day cooking in the WFO yesterday. (while low-n-slow in the KK's). Had the WFO fired up for about 8 hours. 

3 pizzas followed by artisan bread and then buns (for the low-n-slow pulled pork). The pizzas needed a slightly higher temp (and no more using pizza screens). The bread and buns needed a slightly lower temperature. 

WM1a.thumb.jpg.fc3fb09dc89724ab9a656364869d28fc.jpg

WM1b.thumb.jpg.0dfe26abce1beea5e6db8da090239ca8.jpg

WM1c.thumb.jpg.27df56ed7871e334059cfab7e317a083.jpg

WM1d.thumb.jpg.8bddb7bdb0ff16b488d6a060e68afeb5.jpg

WM1e.thumb.jpg.a8ab28d081729fbb5fb5460e7e5df8a5.jpg

For a grand finale Mrs skreef put together a lasagna in my new terracotta pan from Portugal. I love this pan. It has a nice glazed interior. 

Lasagne went on covered in foil. WFO was cruising along at 400* with a hot bed of coals. Rotated at the 20 minute mark. At 40 minutes it was looking right but it needed the top browned. Threw a couple of small logs on the coals. Waited about 5 minutes for the smoke to stop. At this point I had some nice flames dancing across the dome. Mrs skreef reached in there (with a welding glove) and pulled off the foil. 3 minutes later a nice browned top. Sure glad I didn't wait for my 5 minute timer to go off. This instant broiler action worked really well. Next time I'll set the timer for 2 minutes. 

WM1f.thumb.jpg.6252b42aa75c33b8eef8037c8e2f438c.jpg

• Like 13

Very nice! You’re stoking my WFO envy flames!

What temp did you do the pizzas at and with what dough? Were you happy with the bottom? Reason I ask is that the oven I’m eyeing (a mobile unit that is extremely well regarded at pizzamaking.com, but with nowhere near an artisan look like yours) offers two choices for floor tiles. Traditional - more suited for NY style temps, and biscotto saputo - Neapolitan style at 900 temps.

The pizzas were the King Arthur Artisan dough cooked at about 550*. It's a high hydration dough so I cooked them on pizza screens which I'll never do again. They sort of cooked into the screen (almost impossible to get the pizza off the screen) and the bottom didn't brown right. I should have just used parchment paper. 

I wanted to try the King Arthur Artisan dough but I think I'll just go back to the low hydration Neopolitan dough I used last weekend. Easy to work with and launches straight off a wooden peel. 

As for your flooring tiles I think I would go for the higher heat tiles. They would probably still be OK with lower Temps but would the lower temp tiles be okay for higher Temps? That's the question I would want to ask the company before making the decision. You definitely want the tiles with the greatest versatility since there are many other things you'll eventually want to cook. 

3 minutes ago, ckreef said:

As for your flooring tiles I think I would go for the higher heat tiles. They would probably still be OK with lower Temps but would the lower temp tiles be okay for higher Temps? That's the question I would want to ask the company before making the decision. You definitely want the tiles with the greatest versatility since there are many other things you'll eventually want to cook. 

Thanks, that is also the consensus at pizzamaking.com. The difference is the thermal conductivity of biscotto saputo is lower than that of cordierite, so bottoms don’t burn during 900 degree bakes with 00 flour (unmalted). For NY style with high gluten malted flours (and “browning” ingredients like oil, sugar, DMP), you just put a cordierite baking stone on top of the biscotto saputo and shoot for an appropriate mid-range temp.

• Like 1

Great pictures ckreef. 

Well, not quite money shots but my in laws built their own Pizza oven. It's huge! When we are around, they will make 12-15 pizzas for the family... yes big family. Below is a picture of the ciabatta they make in one batch.

Also check out the Salami. 260kg from 2 pigs, a lot of effort and arguing resulted in 130kg of cured sausages and 60kg of cured pork. That was fun making that. The result was very tasty!

Pizza oven.jpg

Salami.jpg

• Like 11

Wow that is a serious oven there. Do they let you play with it? 
That sausage looks like a huge amount of work but I bet very tasty. 

Yeah they do. It’s a pretty serious oven. They sourced some recycled old school firebricks. There’s cement, 2layers of fire insulation and more cement. I actually have a picture somewhere of my father in law inside the oven building it. You can fit 2 adults in there.
Reminds me to be good to the wife, as I don’t want to end up in there with a roaring fire....

To make the pizzas, they heat soak it for hour and a bit. Then they scrape out all the burnt wood and ashes. They mop the floor before putting in the pizzas or bread.

It will stay warm for several hours. It’s not sealed like the KK but does retain heat for quite sometime. It’s still warm in the morning after an evening cook. I think it more to do with the retention of heat in the bricks and cement.

They do roasts, lasagne, turkey and all other sorts. We have Christmas there and they will fire this up on Christmas Day for lunch. A roaring fire on 40 degree Celsius days.... not quite the cold Christmas’s you guys have.

The salamis are good fun. It’s a early morning start cutting up the meat. We have had to change up the recipe over the years. We do much less salt nowadays. We put in fennel seeds, chilli and other herbs and spices. It hangs like that for weeks.

We also make fresh sausages as well. Homemade is always great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 7

On 5/28/2018 at 8:27 PM, Tangles said:

Great pictures ckreef. 

Well, not quite money shots but my in laws built their own Pizza oven. It's huge! When we are around, they will make 12-15 pizzas for the family... yes big family. Below is a picture of the ciabatta they make in one batch.

Also check out the Salami. 260kg from 2 pigs, a lot of effort and arguing resulted in 130kg of cured sausages and 60kg of cured pork. That was fun making that. The result was very tasty!

Pizza oven.jpg

Salami.jpg

That brings back some memories.....i bet it smells great in there 

Mistake turned out decent. 

I'll make a long stupid story short. Saturday night I mixed up 2 batches of dough to rise overnight. Sunday I fired up the WFO. When it got up around 750* I went inside to start stretching and building the pies. That's when the realization hit me...... I had used bread flour in my Neopolitan dough. Oh crap! Can't cook bread flour at my target 800*. I regrouped, let the WFO come down in temp and cooked the pies in the 550*-600* range. They actually came out reasonably well. I'm blaming the multiple Saturday night adult beverages on the mixup  I did want to mention that although I made the pies Mrs skreef cooked them. Turning them as needed, raising them up into the dome and pulling them when done. 

mistake1.thumb.jpg.0a4f19ecea150a04d97ce7a8abe8511a.jpg

mistake2.thumb.jpg.082f896a4c0c2c10de09f6539d6afb3b.jpg

1127871400_mistake3.thumb.jpg.1f8503ee1c4bd3f44da960f9155b772b.jpg

The pizzas were Sunday lunch. Also cooked a beef pot pie for Sundays dinner. 

beefpotpiemistakeday.thumb.jpg.76cbef6ce3b124c2407d1b4f354ab41b.jpg

• Like 7