Tangles

Brisket

Okay. This brisket is going in tomorrow. Will have to get up early for this one.

816d5f8e2685f659cbe3ba162b2596a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice nearly 6 kg .it's Hard commenting .times on the KK they are sealed so well and hold the moisture that they seem to take less time then . A stick burner or weber .but all the times are for them .have fun

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

Thanks guys. I went to the footy last night with my boy. Our team won their 10th game in a row. That said, they nearly gave it away in the last quarter.

My plan was to put it in the morning but I was still awake at 12:30am so thought I would get it started. By the time I got the KK fired up and meat prepped it was near 1:30am.

So hopefully I should be right for 5pm dinner tonight. It’s 5:30am and it looks like it’s starting to stall. I have butchers paper on the ready. I will take it off and put in cooler when done.

Here’s the temp chart thus so far. The temp in the KK is pretty steady. I started on 225 and it’s gone up to 237. No fan involved.

d75dc3e99a323d6a3e5598787c6206ea.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Short story is I took it out at 2:30pm making it a 13 hour cook.

At 8:30am, I dialed the top vent back 1/6 a turn ask I really wanted it at 225. The KK obliged and the temp came down. I wrapped it in butchers paper and left it running. I had to go out so just monitored the temps remotely.

It got to around 11:30 and it was still in its stall. The temp was about 215 so I thought I better turn it up a bit.

Made a call to the wife, asked if she could turn it to the left by about 1.5cm. I didn’t talk rotation.... in case of miscommunication. I wanted to get it to 250.

I saw the temp rise to 230 so left it running. I was helping friends out with an alarm install. When I was done, I was driving home and the Fireboard sent me an sms saying temp had reached 275.

I was surprised by this since it was only a slight adjustment I made. I got home and the vent was up by 1cm - oh miscommunication. I dialed it down a bit again.

Then I took it off at 2:30pm. Wrapped it in foil, towels and put in a cooler.

I did some burgers and sausages for dinner as well.

Temp below6c064e80b4ef985ce34d201cfb399a42.jpg

Will post photos from iphone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The brisket turned out awesome. It has a nice bark and was so juicy.

I didn’t take many snaps and it got eaten quickly. So some terrible pictures follow

cd973e802800e83b645601d8a2e1efcb.jpg
4d9ba1f55b431f431b7af0d9ba9a5edb.jpg

Some lessons learnt... I got a whole packer. The flat on the end although still juicy was dryer than the other side. I used a pizza tray as a deflector. Normally I use foil. Next time:
-put in drip pan. At 1:30am in morning I forgot. I had dripping leak through the gas port and bottom vents.
- I would put foil underneath at the two ends especially at the flat end. That would help with keeping it more moist. Or even put a foil boat on the flat

All in all it was really really good and I was happy with ir. The family loved it. Was very moist and beautiful Smokey flavour. I had a nice smoke ring too.

I did have a little leftover which will be used to make pies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Hey Tangles  I see you got your brisket from Troy’s.  i’ve had a couple both have been great.  I keep meaning to ask him where he gets his beef from. I’m keen to try a grass fed brisket weekend after next. Was thinking of a Cape Grim or go more local and less pricey with Blackwood Valley.  Has anyone tried grass fed, any difference ? 

Never done a grass-fed brisket, but have tried a few steaks. They taste more "beefy," but tend to be a bit chewier, due to less intramuscular fat. I think the ideal mix is a pasture raised cow, that is finished on a corn diet for its last couple of months. 

• Like 1