Tangles

Brisket

Hey Tangles  I see you got your brisket from Troy’s.  i’ve had a couple both have been great.  I keep meaning to ask him where he gets his beef from. I’m keen to try a grass fed brisket weekend after next. Was thinking of a Cape Grim or go more local and less pricey with Blackwood Valley.  Has anyone tried grass fed, any difference ? 

Yes, I get my meat from Troys. I am a loyal fan haha to me it was great quality but I haven’t tried cape grim.

Bonfire did a cape grim one not long ago. He bought it direct online.

Urban griller (Chris) does do bulk orders that he shares with people he has on his list. He can email him. It is a bit cheaper. He uses the profits to help bbq clubs in Perth. I haven’t used him as Troys is closer to me.

Being close to me, I am sure the floreat butcher stocks cape grim. But they would be expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Tangles  I see you got your brisket from Troy’s.  i’ve had a couple both have been great.  I keep meaning to ask him where he gets his beef from. I’m keen to try a grass fed brisket weekend after next. Was thinking of a Cape Grim or go more local and less pricey with Blackwood Valley.  Has anyone tried grass fed, any difference ? 

Oh I am sure Troy gets his meat local.

24 minutes ago, BonFire said:

Not sure what Urban Griller is paying but i have tried this mob's meat, great quality but pricey

https://organicmeatonline.com.au/collections/grass-fed

Hey Bonfire, get in on the monthly meat buy with Urban Griller, the prices are much better than on that website, brisket is around the $14 / kg mark and beef ribs around $12 / kg for cape grim.

We use Cape Grim in all of our competition cooks, i absolutely love it!

• Like 2

Apologies, the prices have gone up slightly, here's this months bulk buy prices, all per kg:

OX Point End Brisket $14.50
OX Beef Ribs $16.50
OX Cheeks $16.50
OX Chuck $11.50
YG Rumps $15.60
OP standing Rib Roast $25.50
Meaty Pork Ribs $14.50 per kilo (10 sets per box) Average 1.2-1.4 kg each

Unrelated question... where do people get planks for cooking whole salmon fillets on in Perth....  

Bunnings. You can buy the bbq packaged ones. Outdoor chef also sell.

When I went to the urban griller bbq school, Chris said just to buy cedar planks in wood section. Cut it yourself. It works out cheaper

1 hour ago, Tangles said:

buy cedar planks in wood section

Thanks,  that’s what I was looking for,  i’ve done the urban griller course and I remember Chris telling us but I couldn’t remember if it was Bunnings ....  my small Bunnings didn’t have any...  off to an uber  Bunnings tomorrow !

A word of caution if you're buying cedar shingles (or similar) at a hardware store for use on the grill. That wood has likely been treated with fire retardant and is not suitable for cooking food. Best to stick to the ones sold in BBQ stores to be on the safe side. 

A word of caution if you're buying cedar shingles (or similar) at a hardware store for use on the grill. That wood has likely been treated with fire retardant and is not suitable for cooking food. Best to stick to the ones sold in BBQ stores to be on the safe side. 

I was wondering about that Tony.... I haven’t tried myself but will ask if it’s treated. I think we can get untreated but I would have to ask.

Hmmm good tip. I balked at buying the 20m pack today, just seemed overkill. Although then regretted it when I got home. The pieces I saw were stamped with a  large number which put me off a bit.  I’m pretty sure they’re the same ones Chris uses though. 

Has anyone tried to use different timber for the plank. I have a large pile of old Jarrah untreated floorboards that I have used as firewood to cook with and I don’t mind it by the time it down to coals.  Not sure how  it would go in the plank application though ....