tekobo

Funky Old Cow

I've had a wonderful meat adventure over the last 24 hours.  It culminated in this wonderful, beef dripping that smells eerily of butter.   What better fat to baste a  dairy cow steak with than its own?

Yjkni1L0TcGYiYGnOnR05Q.thumb.jpg.d78c209cac3746b50221bbea8308a5ed.jpg

Here is a stack of steaks.  We had a lot of these stacks.  The long suffering Husband got up early today to cut 27kg of sirloin into steaks before he got picked up to go to the airport for work. 

2125475442_RLbPKWoURHmqK7o8VU8uA.thumb.jpg.37257ef593ba64b7939afad4989a468c.jpg

I trimmed them up.  The ones below weigh about 660g each. 

pM00ezsKSSOPYBk2Sl3Djg.thumb.jpg.4b54026593772dca55d419dbe8e1b07c.jpg

I was left with a lot of fat, which I pushed through a mincer and then melted down to get the cow fat butter above.

cxCibGMnT1ygWzaNHptGsw.thumb.jpg.ee24100c60277061c902d5cb3e149339.jpg

And I know the rump joint looked scarily funky but it cleaned up nicely.  It was too large to fit into any vacuum bag that we have so  it got triple wrapped in greaseproof paper before it went in the freezer.  I foresee a wonderful low and slow in the KK for about ten people sometime in its future.

utuq7zY8SLmbuwhbuPz1vg.thumb.jpg.c0d7dd5d87870ce68f12d87ac97684f5.jpg

We had friends round last night and they have not stopped talking about how good the meal was and I just took a call from one friend who a) wants to buy some off me and b) described a wonderful wobbly in the middle and crusty outside steak that she had in Vancouver.  I am pretty certain she had sous vide and so will experiment with that for her.  Yum!

E2JugvtgR9S4BOVzu6ofUw.thumb.jpg.4d709537fbbd83a4a713e74ca4f4b4b6.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1075.thumb.jpeg.71e7b4bea1c46edfe238cb602238f80a.jpeg

• Like 6

22 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Are we drawing straws to see who gets to come the 10 person roast dinner? :smt077

Nope.  Y'all have a standing invitation and I might even embarrass you by photographing a spare seat and spare glass of wine, waiting for a KK friend to finally make good on your promises/threats to make it over to the UK. 

19 hours ago, tony b said:

I betting your friend will go bonkers if you do one sous vide for her then reverse sear it on the KK. 

I worry about high expectations but this stuff is good and sous vide + a super hot sear on the KK should fulfil her fantasy.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tekobo said:

I worry about high expectations but this stuff is good and sous vide + a super hot sear on the KK should fulfil her fantasy.  

Looking at all the yummy beef fat gave me an insane idea - sous vide that steak in the beef fat! Sort of like a confit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tony b said:

Looking at all the yummy beef fat gave me an insane idea - sous vide that steak in the beef fat! Sort of like a confit. 

Now THAT is a fantastic idea.  I have looked up sous vide confit and have found a few duck recipes.  Definitely going to try this.  And soon.  The only problem is that The Husband is in Houston this week and is due to bring back some corn tortillas.  Sous vide steak or fish tacos or sous vide steak or fish tacos?  I think we will find a way to fit both into a short weekend!

• Like 1

I simply couldn't get my head around why one would sous vide a steak.  I like my steak blue and the KK cooks it perfectly well, at high heat, in 3 minutes max.  Why mess around with vacuum packing and sitting around in a water bath?  

Well, I was intrigued by @tony b's suggestion that I try to "confit" a dairy cow steak in its own fat.  So I tried it.  Marinaded the meat for a few hours in oil, salt and tarragon.  Put some cold cow fat into each vacuum bag.  

TpSL8P6iTQS5lBox4yncPQ.thumb.jpg.3775d7153a0e12b47a4c79b152797bef.jpg

Now, how to avoid over cooking the steaks?  I went for 45C for 1.25 hrs.  Then I chilled them back down in the fridge before introducing them to the KK for just under 2 minutes.  The result was messy but sublime.

fullsizeoutput_107a.thumb.jpeg.6877ed66c79dc084efadcd724d509ea1.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

I bought a sous vide when I bought my KK but have never used it. Maybe I should try it out.

Get that sous vide immersion circulator out of the "trophy case" where you store all those cooking toys that you buy, but don't use, Bruce, and give it a try - you won't be disappointed!! :evil4:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2018 at 12:54 AM, tony b said:

Up your sous vide bath time next cook for at least 2 hours. Time is the variable that dictates texture once the food reaches equilibrium temperature.

:smt077 I quite like having a bit of chew!  Wouldn't go longer on an ordinary steak but looking forward to experimenting with time and temp on a thick forerib chop.  I used the following site for guidance: https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html#tempchart1

On 12/2/2018 at 3:01 PM, tekobo said:

And I know the rump joint looked scarily funky but it cleaned up nicely.  It was too large to fit into any vacuum bag that we have so  it got triple wrapped in greaseproof paper before it went in the freezer.  I foresee a wonderful low and slow in the KK for about ten people sometime in its future.

utuq7zY8SLmbuwhbuPz1vg.thumb.jpg.c0d7dd5d87870ce68f12d87ac97684f5.jpg

So, the time has come to cook the lump of rump.  I have not seen it since I put it in the freezer in December.  I am worried about this cook. Instead of the select group of 10 that I anticipated when I wrote the post above, we are having a BBQ for 24 for a good friend's birthday.  No pressure.  I will get the lump out late tomorrow to defrost and will weigh it then.  Not sure how to tackle it.  I have a low temp recipe for beef from Heston Blumenthal that sees you with rare beef through out the joint rather than a grey to reddish gradation.   Could sear on outside with a torch to keep the edge to edge rare effect.  Timing also critical as this is not one that you would pull and wrap for long.  Aaaargh.  Will be brave.  Won't over feed guests before hand.  Spanish theme with some limited tapas to go with drinks to start.  Going to let guests cook seafood kebabs on the konro for themselves. Then the beef.  And breathe.  Any tips gratefully received.