tekobo

Funky Old Cow

On 12/13/2020 at 9:28 AM, woody said:

Sunterra

Saw your post late Woody and I wanted to mention that I purchased the Hooray Santa Maria style from Hooray Grill. I've seen both other grills and considered them when ordering, but chose the Hooray for a number of reasons.  First was the rotisserie on this grill has an enormous 5/8" SS hex rod that could turn an 80 Lb pig and it's fitted with the One grill motor were used to seeing on the KK.  The gear mechanism is positioned into the turning motor gear and rests simply by weight and gravity to turn.  The fire box doesn't have the refractory brick liner the Sunterra or the Nuke Delta, but has instead a fitted and bolted liner that provides airspace to another adjacent firewall. You would build your fire on a large removeable reinforced steel floor which can easily be cleaned and lifted with the geared mechanism that raises and lowers your grill surface. The raised fire bedliner that sits on welded supports in conjunction with the side slotted firebox liners provide airflow on all sides.  4 attachment brackets raise the fire floor bedliner so you can easily vacuum underneath. The geared mechanism for raising and lowering the grate has no separate break, but works and stops the grill surface with ease. Wherever you stop the wheel the grate remains strong in position. The wires attached to each side of the grill are wound on a creel and not subject to a handle or wound around the top rod. Refractory brick allows water at the seams to seep through and puddle underneath. In the northeast rain is an issue and although I keep my grill covered under a roof and tarpaulin this became a consideration regarding rust. 

I purchased the 3 ft grill unit which measures approx 46" in length total. There are 3 steel fold down shelves that have steel rods attached to each shelf slotted into the main frame adding additioal length and width when positioned up. The shelves  gives a sturdy working surface area for three sides and room for anyone to pull up a tall chair or cook from the opposite side. Since the grill doesn't have the additional weight of refractory brick I can easily maneuver it into position single handedly or to another location without much effort & without the risk of damaging brick. All the grills mentioned provide the same basic function the difference being are you willing after weighing the options to pay the extra for convenience & detailing.  The down side may be I don't have split zones and no V-slotted grates. Grates can be purchased or made. I wouldn't mind working with any of the others and I know I'd enjoy them all, however at the end of the day I realize the decision made was right for me. 

• Like 5

I like it Tyrus. Particularly the cranking mechanism and spit combo.
I’ve been looking for an open adjustable grill- like this.
We don’t have the same choice over here.
I found a supplier in Beaudesert who is importing a container of hand made grills from Argentina and I’m waiting for this to come in.
He expected this to be around January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1