Pequod

Maverick XR50

Just when you though Maverick was dead, they came out with this: Maverick XR-50

No bluetooth, wi-fi, cloud, or other gimmicks to make up for lack of range and dead spots in your house. Just four channels with hybrid probes, easy to set up, and 500' of RF range. Mine just arrived and I've been walking around the house and yard checking for the dead spots that resulted in my purchasing the Smoke Gateway...just so I could get a read in my home office. 

Bottom line: there are no dead spots. There it is, giving me four glorious, dead simple channels of signal in my worst dead spot in the house.

BONUS: If you hit the buttons just right, it will also play Donkey Kong!

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180604165837896_COVER.thumb.jpg.f9cab3a2326f1142f79eb600ee4d7d29.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just ordered mine. I have 2 different Maverick/RediCheck model thermometers and both are a PITA to synch and set up. Plus, one of them has one of the dumbest design flaws I've ever run across - you have to open the battery compartment door to turn it on! Yes, the on/off switch is inside the battery compartment. Needless to say that after several open/close cycles in use, the tab that holds the door on broke off, so it's been held on by electrical tape for several years now. 

• Like 1

@5698k's post about the Fireboard reminded me of this post about the Maverick.  With no sign of the MEATER block, I thought I would take a look at the Maverick XR-50.  Can't find it anywhere.  Not on amazon.co.uk or amazon.com and the link that @Pequod posted says it is "sold out".  Have you all been secretly buying up all their stock??

3 hours ago, tekobo said:

@5698k's post about the Fireboard reminded me of this post about the Maverick.  With no sign of the MEATER block, I thought I would take a look at the Maverick XR-50.  Can't find it anywhere.  Not on amazon.co.uk or amazon.com and the link that @Pequod posted says it is "sold out".  Have you all been secretly buying up all their stock??

Only sold through the link I posted. Have heard they are backordered. 

I haven't used mine in a cook yet, but I did plug in all 4 probes and synch it up to the receiver. Worked perfectly, very simple - much simpler than the older versions! Be patient, as they are worth it. One thing that was a bit of a disappointment, can't use the probes from the older unit with it. While the plugs fit, the resistance must be different, as they displayed temperature was waaaay off. Had hoped to salvage the old ones as spares, but guess not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Stile88 said:

@Pequod

Did i read your post right you have the smoke gateway as well???

you like this over the smoke ..it is fantastic at that price with 4 probes at that range

thanks for the post

Yes. I bought the Smoke as an upgrade over my old Mavericks, but found I had dead spots in my house, so bought the Gateway to get rid of those. The Smoke dead spots are gone, but I now have nearly $200 in Smoke gear with only two probes. The Maverick XR50 is far simpler, four channels, easy to use, and no dead spots anywhere. This thing is a Smoke killer. It really is. Between this and MEATER, I’m pretty well covered for temp monitoring. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yea, yea, yea. I fully funded the Meater with 4 probes and the Block. Yup I paid for you bottom level backers to receive your product. Meanwhile I have nothing. Will never do another kickstarter. 

Maverick 732..... Went through probes about every 6 months. A few sets of new probes and I was done with that. 

Moved onto the Smoke. Use it constantly for over a year now. Same probes. Left it on when I went on a weeks vacation - still going strong when I got home. That is now my default KK dome thermometers. 

Thermoworks is the only company I'll go with now. ThermoQ products are my latest and are the bomb. A huge selection of different type K probes, stand alone, wifi or Bluetooth. An app that will graph and alarm multiple units. If I had to do it over, ThermoQ from the very start. Expensive but like everything in life, you get what you pay for. 

• Thanks 1

Got an email from them this morning saying that their supplier sent them some defective components for the XR-50 that causes the battery life to be very short. Will be sending our replacement sets to all previous purchaser - free and you get to keep the old one, including the probes. So I'll have a full spare set. Good customer service. 

Well, after over being 2 years behind schedule, I got a notice from the MEATER folks this past week saying that they have finally gone into production on the BLOCK and are shipping them out to backers now! So, hopefully those of you who backed them and wanted a BLOCK will be getting them soon. For those holding out to buy one, I assume that they are taking orders now. 

3 hours ago, tony b said:

Well, after over being 2 years behind schedule, I got a notice from the MEATER folks this past week saying that they have finally gone into production on the BLOCK and are shipping them out to backers now! So, hopefully those of you who backed them and wanted a BLOCK will be getting them soon. For those holding out to buy one, I assume that they are taking orders now. 

Yea I got that email too. Still ain't holding my breath. When it shows up on the doorstep I'll believe it. Until then just more fake Meater news. 

Thanks Pequod. Just about to order and I remember were on vaca. Sharing my credit card info isn't what I want to do on an open Wi-Fi venue. Well that sounds great, so many times I'm in the house and see a blank screen. It looks like a very good price and looking forward to ordering a new toy, ..tool