paul1927

Zojirushi Neuro Fuzzy Rice cooker

I've got the old model and it is one of my most frequently used appliances. The new one looks even better : http://www.zojirushi.com/ourproducts/zu ... fac_z.html. Anyone try cooking rice on the Q?

So far my attempts to cook vegetables on the Q have been a dismal failure, but brownies have turned out excellent. I'd like to see Dennis make a pressure box featuring a powerful spring . . . the idea comes from an appliance that I had years ago. In fact, I bought 5 or 6 of the appliances one after the other because although they were expensive and appeared to be top quality the extreme heat and enclosed pressure gave them a limited life. I would keep buying them too, if they were available. The retailer told me that it was discontinued because of quality problems--easy to understand. Anyway, the combination of extreme heat and enclosed pressure (didn't dirty the kitchen :) ) made plain salmon steaks with a wonderful golden crust while wonderfully juicy on the inside. Almost as good as ribs on the Q! ;)

BTW, one of my favorite foods is fried corn on the cob. Since Sonny's BBQ closed their doors that has been just a fond memory. I'd like a Neuro Fuzzy Corn on the Cob cooker. :)

Pressure box?

I'm not sure what a pressure box is?

I went to the ricer cooker's website.. loved the designs.

I want to steal their statement.. "the very essence of form and function"

I like to think that applies to my OTB

:wink:

Re: Pressure box?

I'm not sure what a pressure box is?

I went to the ricer cooker's website.. loved the designs.

I want to steal their statement.. "the very essence of form and function"

I like to think that applies to my OTB

:wink:

I thought I saw "their" statement on your website or a statement very close to it. ;)

I would say it is sort of like a pressure cooker. In the appliance that I had (no longer manufactured to my knowledge and I haven't found any references to it) there were 2 grilling surfaces surrounded by a "moat." The "moat" was designed to trap the juices and grease during cooking, but it didn't drain and was supposed to add flavor to the cooking process. I would place the salmon steaks on the LOWER grill and then close the box. When closing the box there would be resistance supplied by a very large spring located above the UPPER grill--the upper grill moved up and down with effort. When completely closed it was necessary to latch the top closed. When closed the whole unit was supposed to be sealed creating additional heat/pressure. Power was supplied by a standard 110 V outlet and both the LOWER and UPPER grills were heated--with very high heat according to the instruction manual. It cooked food *very* fast; faster than a regular pressure cooker and created a wonderful "crust" -- sort of a carmalized surface without the need for sugar.

When I first bought it I was very skeptical because I thought how much better could it be than just regular pan frying? (I pan fry outside to keep the kitchen free of grease and odor.) I gave it a try because I thought it might be useful on rainy days and besides I like regular pressure cookers for stew (and it seems to be the only thing capable of cooking corn). When first looking at the salmon steak I was thinking if it tastes half as good as it looks, then I'm going to be a very happy camper. It tasted even better. :) My father wanted to know what in the hell I added to the salmon steak because it was so good. He was very surprised when I told him it was just a new appliance that applied pressure as well as heat when cooking. The negative was that it didn't last and I had to keep buying new ones.

Attempting to visualize a pressure box for the Q isn't very easy for me. I see a large spring and I see a "sealed" box locking in moisture/juices and I see pressure and I see lots of heat and I see it "grill pressure cooking vegetables." I hope you can see a lot better than me. :) I think if you tasted the pressure grilled salmon steaks that I made and saw the appliance that made it, then you would want to build a similar contraption that would work within the Q. :)

BTW, I have purchased other "grill presses" from big name companies and really they don't come close to what I had. There was no spring, but who cares if it gets the job done. And, they weren't "sealed" when closed which is somewhat important to me, but I can always take the "grill press" outside if it gets the job done. I think the main problem with these "grill presses" is that I had become accustomed to a much better product although the "grill presses" looked a lot more attractive and functional. My appliance looked like a box. The "grill presses" seemed to be lacking heat and pressure and I hardly used them because the end result was nothing special. In fact, I've given a couple away just so they wouldn't be a total waste.

Paul

Also, there was a "plunger" that stood centered at the top of the "pressure box." When the "pressure box" was open or contained NO food for cooking the "plunger" stood low and when closed with food in it, it would stick out more . . . the thicker the food the the more it would stick out.

Hi taniah1

I wish I could tell you their name. I was fairly good at keeping receipts, but things change. My best guess at being able to track this product down would be an old Service Merchandise catalog. Unfortunately, I believe Service Merchandise is out of business and I'm wrong on that score. Here's their web address http://www.servicemerchandise.com/ . What is the chance that an old timer from Service Merchandise would remember such a product? If they cooked with it, then I'm pretty sure they'd remember it.

BTW, speaking of obscure cooking gadgets. I had this grapefruit knife that instead of a traditional curved serrated blade had a curved bread knife blade. No comparison in the quality of the cut! I must of bought 10 different grapefruit knives to try and get that same clean easy cut and every time the cut is good or very good but NOT excellent like the bread knife blade.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot - Zoji Neurofuzzy?!?!?!?

OK-didn't expect to see that for a post title!

I have the 5 cup ZAC 10 - one of the best things I've ever spent money on. Super little device.

Needs a bigger selection of music on it though! :lol:

Get yerself a copy of this:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Rice-Coo ... 1558322035

Great Rice Cooker cookbook (after all it does say "The Ultimate")

OB: rice on a Kooker? haven't tried it.

dub(amazed at what gets discussed here)