Skypalace

Thermostatic controller help needed

Owned my KK since late 2015 but just joined the forum.

Ready to order a thermostatic controller for my KK with family in town for an extended stay over 4th of July.   I regularly do overnight brisket cooks so this should be nice in letting me get more sleep :-).

Would like cloud, wifi connectivity, decent quality phone app, and logging. 

I see decent reviews for the Flame Boss 300, though it doesn't seem to have the best probes.  I assume I could replace if/when needed w/ higher quality?  The Flame Boss appears to get better reviews (esp. on the app, software, and wifi stability) than the CyberQ cloud.

I've seen rave reviews of the FireBoard, but unless I'm reading the site and manual wrong, it's just a thermo board and doesn't do thermostatic control.  Am I missing something?

Any other suggestions/thoughts?

-Jim

The FireBoard is capable of control, but you have to buy their adapter cable, and a fan that will fit in the guru port in the grill. I’ve had the older cyberq for quite some time, and it works. That said , I recently had a WiFi issue at home, and I had to reprogram my cyberq...it’s a pain, so I ordered a FireBoard. My fan will work, so I’m good there. The talk is that the FireBoard is the big dog technology wise.

You could always consider a flame boss 300, or the newer cyberq cloud, I think either is a good option.

The next option is to order a FireBoard, the adapter cable, and a guru fan that will fit into the port on your grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!  I assume the BBQ Guru Pit Viper fan should just plug in?

So it looks like my shopping list would be:

1) Fireboard Controller w one ambient and one food probe (I'd probably do a 2nd food probe)

2) Fireboard adapter cable with 12v

3) BBQ Guyr Pit Viper fan

4)???

5) Profit!

I think the FireBoard comes in two packages, I got the lesser exspensive of the two, plus the fan adapter cable. I believe it has two food probes, and one ambient probe. The guru fan I have is the pit viper, a 10 cfm find that fits the port in your grill.

If this is your plan, I believe you’ll be happy, it should do what you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a Flame Boss 300 with the battery and a Pit Viper fan. I have the high-temp platinum probes and they work quite well. What I liked about the Flame Boss is that it can operate the Pit Viper fan at variable speeds based on the feedback it sees with the temp probes - software based PID controller. 

I use a cyberq cloud on my big green egg - love it - extremely reliable and easy to use and I enjoy their sharemycook utility.  I'm planning to purchase a Komodo Kamado 32 for my summer home and if I buy a temperature control unit, it will be the cyberq - That being said, curious to hear if current owners find it necessary given the greater temperature stability of the Komodo Kamado?

I ended up with the FireBoard w fan controller for my KK 32, and have been very happy. I bought extra probes, and use two air probes (one fast one slow) and multiple meat probes, and its caught a few issues (probe hitting bone in St. Louis rubs etc).

Had some temp control issues first two cooks, it’s so efficient I can only keep the top open 1/8 turn or temp will rise, sucking too much air through even a shut off fan controller.

I’d buy the FireBoard again in a heartbeat, totally the right decision.