RandyS

BBQ for a group

This weekend starts my first effort at bbq for a group. I have about 45 pounds of pork shoulder lightly salted with kosher salt and on ice in a cooler ready to go on the BB32 tomorrow evening. I plan to use a homemade dry rub and expect to take it off in time for lunch on Saturday. No backup plan should it fail, so I'm committed.  8)

• Like 2

The BB32 is a group cooking machine and 45 lbs of pork shoulder is no problem for that cooker. Make sure you take a good pic of all of that pork cooked before you take it off. Do you have any particular recipes for slaw or sauce that you use? 

• Like 1

I don't really have my own slaw or sauce recipe (yet). My favorite sauce is from Dreamland BBQ in Tuscaloosa, and I don't use much. It has a fairly thin consistency and is not too sweet. One of these days I'll post some pics of Alabama White Sauce bbq chicken. It was made famous by Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur, AL, which is where I grew up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RandyS said:

One of these days I'll post some pics of Alabama White Sauce bbq chicken. It was made famous by Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur, AL, which is where I grew up.

Huge fan of the white sauce chicken. While I've done BBG's sauce (store bought & homemade), I'm really partial to Cornell Chicken. It's also a white sauce - a variation on a very thin mayonnaise, but with a lot of salt - so it's a cross between a sauce and a brine. 

• Like 1

I put the meat on last night, all on the main grate, with foil on the lower grate. This morning it looks like a couple of hours to go. There is a very nice aroma around the cooker! I am thinking I won't be run out of town

Group cook.jpg

• Like 7

Ok, here they are, at completion and pulled pork ready to eat. No complaints at all. I even got a couple of "best bbq ever" comments. One guy says he will have to look into a KK of his own!

I had the cooker thermometer on the grate, in a space between the meat. I suspect the dome temp was somewhat higher because of some relative insulation from the surrounding meat. I think with the next big cook, I will place it on top of the meat, or maybe use a second thermometer and put one both places, on the grate and on top.

Group Cook 1.jpg

Group Cook 2.jpg

• Like 3

Yep, I am using a Thermoworks Smoke, which has grate and meat probes. I just would have liked to know what the temps were at the grate and up in the dome. No Guru, though I would like one. I just got it set before we went to bed and left it on its own. We got to sleep, because it stayed stable enough that the alarm from the Smoke thermometer never went off.