ckreef

Smoked Blueberry BBQ Sauce

With the over abundant Blueberries I have at my disposal this year I decided to can a batch of my Blueberry BBQ sauce. I did tweak the recipe a little bit. We’ll see how it turns out. 

I started by lightly smoking 5 cups of Blueberries at 200*. Here they are after about an hour. Some of them lost their color but that's OK. The juice is in the bottom of the pan (you just can't see it) and they'll all get there color back once you start cooking it. 

sbbs1.thumb.jpg.0e21824bec4eebb85f7811b1958c2210.jpg

After an hour or so I dumped them into my pot and smashed them a bit with a potato smasher. Bring to a full rolling boil. 

sbbs2.thumb.jpg.81e93aca51bfe7145f4558b46436b5ad.jpg

Mix up the other ingredients and add to the blueberries. Return to a full rolling boil. 

sbbs3.thumb.jpg.1f9869c534853d47d3222872dcc091af.jpg

sbbs4.thumb.jpg.87ee18ed2b57af12a97c954078ea6188.jpg

After the second rolling boil jar up the mixture and water process for 10 minutes. 

sbbs5.thumb.jpg.4e9fbd5e1ab153d776e28084267fb942.jpg

Check back tomorrow night. We’ll open a small jar and see what we got. 

• Like 4

With the over abundant Blueberries I have at my disposal this year I decided to can a batch of my Blueberry BBQ sauce. I did tweak the recipe a little bit. We’ll see how it turns out. 

I started by lightly smoking 5 cups of Blueberries at 200*. Here they are after about an hour. Some of them lost their color but that's OK. The juice is in the bottom of the pan (you just can't see it) and they'll all get there color back once you start cooking it. 

After an hour or so I dumped them into my pot and smashed them a bit with a potato smasher. Bring to a full rolling boil. 

Mix up the other ingredients and add to the blueberries. Return to a full rolling boil. 

After the second rolling boil jar up the mixture and water process for 10 minutes. 

I'm betting it will get a big thumbs up!!
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Foothill.Q said:
3 hours ago, ckreef said:

I'm betting it will get a big thumbs up!!

I think so too but I also think I could slightly improve it with 2nd batch next weekend, we'll see. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tekobo said:

Smoked blueberries.  Who'd have thunk it?  Does the end result benefit from this extra stage or would you stick to the original recipe @ckreef?  More to the point, what does Mrs @skreef think of this new innovation?  :???:

We're going to find all those answers later this evening when I open a jar.

When Mrs skreef saw my post about tweaking the recipe she wasn't particularly happy as she really liked the original version. 

2 hours ago, tekobo said:

Smoked blueberries.  Who'd have thunk it?  Does the end result benefit from this extra stage or would you stick to the original recipe @ckreef?  More to the point, what does Mrs @skreef think of this new innovation?  :???:

I loved the original so him tweaking it, I got worried. Maybe we find out this afternoon if it gets a thumbs up. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ckreef said:

We're going to find all those answers later this evening when I open a jar.

13 minutes ago, skreef said:

I loved the original so him tweaking it, I got worried. Maybe we find out this afternoon if it gets a thumbs up

Looking forward to the result of the taste test.  I've got a pile of gooseberries here and smoking before making a sauce for pork is a potential option if your blueberry experiment worked.  All I can say is - good luck @ckreef!

• Like 1

Gooseberries and pork? I would not have thought of it. As a kid on the farm, I used to pick gooseberries for my grandmother to make cobblers ("... all the sugar they will take, and a little bit more."), but I hadn't considered them for a sauce for pork. Nor, actually, a blueberry BBQ sauce. This is very interesting...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, jonj said:

This is very interesting...

Yes it is.  Keen to see if/how KK and fruit combo will work.  I love gooseberries and rhubarb and always stock up in the summer, cooking and freezing packs for use in pies, crumbles and fools through the winter.  This year's variations could well be smoked sauce for pork if @ckreef's experiment looks promising and sous vide berries.  On the latter I am keen to see if I can keep the berries whole in the vac pack for freezing for later use in things like clafoutis.  Yummmm.

Preserving the integrity of the blueberries in a vacuum sealer will be tricky, unless your model has a "soft food" option/button. My older one does, but the newer version doesn't, so you just have to time it manually to shut off the vacuum and start the sealer process. 

4 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

If you freeze the blueberries before vacuuming sealing they will stay in tact.

You got that spot on. For freezing I line a 1/2 sheet cake pan with parchment. Fill with berries and put that in the freezer. Once frozen solid vacuum seal. I'll even do that with cut up peach slices. 

Disaster at work yesterday led to me working 17.5 hours so I saved the tasting until tonight. All I can say is........ 

Hell Yea!!! 

I've been making this for a few years now and this is the best to date. This is a finishing/dipping sauce. Chicken or pork sounds right to me. Next weekend I'll make another batch but do a slightly different procedure with the smoking phase. This has KK cold smoker written all over it, unfortunately I don't have one yet. (one day I will) 

blue1.thumb.jpg.528426232ce7e38d53f459863789cc44.jpg

blue2.thumb.jpg.70c121701861420ca14dbcbbff1ea083.jpg

@tony b unfortunately it was a bad one. 2 people hospitalized overnight for observation. They should be alright but............ 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2