ckreef

Smoked Blueberry BBQ Sauce

59 minutes ago, Pequod said:

Did I see your recipe posted somewhere? I just so happen to have a cold smoker. I could try it out for you. ;-)

The old recipe is posted. Give me one more weekend and I'll update the recipe. If works cooperates we plan on doing another large picking at the local Blueberry patch tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ckreef said:

I've been making this for a few years now and this is the best to date.

Fantastic!  It's great when a new thing turns out to be a good thing.  I look forward to your updated recipe.  Am I right in assuming that the smoking did help to make it the best ever?  

3 hours ago, tekobo said:

Fantastic!  It's great when a new thing turns out to be a good thing.  I look forward to your updated recipe.  Am I right in assuming that the smoking did help to make it the best ever?  

Next weekend batch 2 will have a more intense smoking session. I'll know after the comparison taste. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, skreef said:

Well let me say that the blueberry bbq sauce was awesome. Love this stuff. You can make anyfruit a good sauce for bbq. (my beliefs) this has been my most favorite sauce that @ckreefmakes. Good job Love:smt038

True that. The "fruit part", not the "Good job Love" part, just to be clear. :shock:

One of our favorite new sauces for pulled pork is a Spicy Apple BBQ sauce, recipe for which appears in Raichlen's recent book on sauces (and probably also online at his website, as nearly all his recipes are). Made with a cup of apple cider which, when reduced with a tsp of cayenne becomes the perfect topper for a pulled pork sandwich with a cool, slightly creamy slaw.

I also love Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans which includes a can of apple pie filling and a healthy dose of cayenne. Great stuff!

• Like 1

On 6/27/2018 at 5:50 PM, Pequod said:

I also love Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans which includes a can of apple pie filling and a healthy dose of cayenne.

That sounds gross.  Can't believe you hate marmite so much but will eat baked beans with apple pie filling.  And no, dropping a load of cayenne in won't convince me that this is a good idea.  :smt071

• Haha 5

59 minutes ago, ckreef said:

I'd give it a try. Actually sounds good the way you describe it. 

It’s a pretty popular recipe and easily found on the net. I first stumbled on it at the Virtual Weber Bullet site years ago. Guests always ask for it whenever we have an event. Here’s a link:

https://www.barbecue-smoker-recipes.com/keris-hogapple-baked-beans.html

The one change I make to that recipe is that I Smoke the beans.

Edited by Pequod
  • Thanks 1

It’s a pretty popular recipe and easily found on the net. I first stumbled on it at the Virtual Weber Bullet site years ago. Guests always ask for it at whenever we have an event. Here’s a link:
https://www.barbecue-smoker-recipes.com/keris-hogapple-baked-beans.html
The one change I make to that recipe is that I Smoke the beans.
It's on my to do list. They sound.
  • Like 1

I’ve seen even sweeter variants that add 1/2 cup of brown sugar and no pulled pork, and less sweet variants that include a grated apple with no pie filling. The pork, peppers, and onions in this make it more of a one pot meal casserole than a side dish. Quite tasty. I like it. 

There’s another variant that originally appeared at the Brethren called Wampus’ Peach Bourbon Baked Beans, which uses peach pie filling, some bourbon, and adds 1/2 cup of brown sugar. I made that one once. It was okay, but I much prefer The Hog Apple beans. 

Edited by Pequod

16 minutes ago, Pequod said:

There’s another variant that originally appeared at the Brethren called Wampus’ Peach Bourbon Baked Beans, which uses peach pie filling, some bourbon, and adds 1/2 cup of brown sugar. I made that one once. It was okay, but I much prefer The Hog Apple beans. 

I've made this before but used fresh peaches not pie filling. I thought it was decent.