Papaya16

New Ultimate 23 Coming!

My name is Al and my nickname for this forum is Papaya16.  I live in Maryland and have been grilling on a couple Weber Kettles for over 30 years, but only recently started to get more serious about learning more about the world of barbecue, grilling and smoking.  After receiving a Christmas present of Steve Raichlen's book, Project Smoke last December, I began checking out forums and websites and YouTube videos and all of this has culminated in my recent order of a Terra Blue Ultimate 23 KK, whose arrival I am very eagerly anticipating.  Hopefully it will be at my house sometime in the next week or so!

I've been practicing low and slow on the Weber, but its been more than just difficult to  maintain steady temps as I've had to repair a broken one touch sytem and I have a very leaky seal between the cover and the base.  Nonetheless, I am proud to say that I have accomplished some slow cooked baby backs, a low and slow pastrami, and some Texas style beef short ribs.  And they were all edible (with room for improvement lol)! 

Now I feel I'm ready to get my feet wet with the KK...

I can't wait to start and I'm looking forward to posting some pics of my new grill and even better, some cooks!

• Like 2

Welcome to the Obsession, Al! You're just going to be blown away by the amazing things you're going to cook on your new KK! 

If you've been lurking here long, you know that we demand lots of pictures of the uncrating and first cooks on your new beauty! Don't disappoint us, Al!

I should have delivery next week, hopefully on July 3.  Planning an 8lb Boston Butt for my first cook as soon as it gets here and I can get it set up!  

It will be practice for my son's 30th birthday party in late July.  He wants pulled pork AND beef brisket.

I'll be checking back for suggestions later on how to do both in one cook.

• Like 2

Going from a Weber to a kk isn’t getting your feet wet, it’s going from grasshopper to master in one step. If you can remotely control a Weber, the kk will dam near control itself, which it does actually.

Congrats, and as already stated, pic are required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My Ultimate 23 is confirmed for delivery to my driveway tomorrow.  Dennis already helped me with tips for to how to get it over my almost-level lawn, by rolling it over 2 sheets of plywood, leapfrogging them until I get to the back patio.

I already checked the potential grill locations on my flagstone patio, but none of them are exactly level.  Is there a way to adjust height of individual leg casters or does anyone have suggestions?