Syzygies

Solo Stove

Looks amazing as always [mention=3070]tekobo[/mention]! What the driving factor for you to go solo dove over KK? I can see some benefits and fun to the open flame without closure similar to an Argentinian, but curious what pulls you one way or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/26/2022 at 5:25 PM, BOC said:

Looks amazing as always [mention=3070]tekobo[/mention]! What the driving factor for you to go solo dove over KK? I can see some benefits and fun to the open flame without closure similar to an Argentinian, but curious what pulls you one way or the other.

Hey there Brian.  The reason I used the solo stove was to burn some logs down to embers and then put them on the Argentiinian grill.  In practice, my wood was wet and took ages to light.  I ran out of time to get the Argentinian grill good and hot and so just stuck with the Solo stove instead.  I think it was a happy accident because it was a good way to cook something lean and small like quail and I probably won't bother with the transfer to the Argentinian grill for that type of cook in future.  Last night I did use the Argentinian grill to cook thick sirloin steaks on the bone.  It was the ideal tool because all the fat drained neatly into the tray at the front of the grill, leaving me with minimal flare ups. 

Above is the straight forward, practical answer.  I have also had to think hard about why I have all these different toys and how best to use them.  This time it is  @Poochie's fault.  His chance comment about a pizza oven made me reach out to @Braai-Q who gave me the benefit of all his research and pointed me at a really cool wood fired oven.  I am on the verge of pulling the trigger with the rationale that I will use the KK for low n slow and rotisserie, wood fired oven for v hot roasts and bakes and solo/argentinian for fire play.  We'll see how it works out in practice!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This time it is  [mention=2487]Poochie[/mention]'s fault.  His chance comment about a pizza oven made me reach out to [mention=3367]Braai-Q[/mention] who gave me the benefit of all his research and pointed me at a really cool wood fired oven.  I am on the verge of pulling the trigger with the rationale that I will use the KK for low n slow and rotisserie, wood fired oven for v hot roasts and bakes and solo/argentinian for fire play.  We'll see how it works out in practice!

Sounds like you have it all figured out! No help needed for justification. The only question you need to start asking yourself is how you plan on making your best smash burgers, fried rice and tacos without a nice flat top in the mix.

4 minutes ago, BOC said:

The only question you need to start asking yourself is how you plan on making your best smash burgers, fried rice and tacos without a nice flat top in the mix.

Aha!  You are going to have to lead the way there.  What have you got going on alongside your KK - either in reality or in your head?  

Your note reminded me that I need to follow up on these legs that I found: https://www.netherton-foundry.co.uk/Fire-cooking/wood-fired-ovens  I am hoping that they are a good way  of getting my existing griddle into the wood fired oven to get it super hot for things like smash burgers. Just not sure of the gap between the jaws.  I will write off now and find out!

• Like 1

I’ve got nothing else currently. I’d need to build out a little more space, but it will happen. At the moment the only thing I think I’m missing is a flat top. If you asked me today an Evo or an Arteflame would be my choice strongly weighted toward the later.

I could love an Argentinian or wood fired/pizza oven, but for those type of things I cook on the KK and I think I have those pretty dialed on the KK. Good enough for my simple tastes anyway. I love all of the toys, but for the outdoor cooking I’m probably a 2 maybe 3 device max kind of guy.

If money were zero consideration my #3 would be a Kalamazoo grill. One of the gas grills.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BOC said:

I’ve got nothing else currently. I’d need to build out a little more space, but it will happen. At the moment the only thing I think I’m missing is a flat top. If you asked me today an Evo or an Arteflame would be my choice strongly weight toward the later.

I could love an Argentinian or wood fired/pizza oven, but for the type of things I could on the KK or in general, I think I have those pretty dialed on the KK. Good enough for my simple tastes anyway. I live all of the toys, but for the outdoor cooking I’m probably a 2 maybe 3 device max kind of guy.

If money were zero consideration my #3 would be a Kalamazoo grill. One of the gas grills.

Now, that sounds like an interesting and controversial combo @BOC. I had never heard of the Arteflame and so took a quick look just now.  Looks sociable but I would worry about people burning themselves on those hot tops. And a gasser!  Oooh.  🤫😛

Now, that sounds like an interesting and controversial combo [mention=3675]BOC[/mention]. I had never heard of the Arteflame and so took a quick look just now.  Looks sociable but I would worry about people burning themselves on those hot tops. And a gasser!  Oooh.  

A gasser…but a locally (20 minutes from me) made gasser that is arguably up to Dennis standards. Although he’d have to say it to believe it. It’s a pipe dream for now, my well isn’t that deep.

https://kalamazoogourmet.com/products/gas-grill-head/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8Ji8tdbo9gIVkitMCh2BjAYCEAAYASAAEgK6QvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOC said:

A gasser…but a locally (20 minutes from me) made gasser that is arguably up to Dennis standards. Although he’d have to say it to believe it. It’s a pipe dream for now, my well isn’t that deep.

https://kalamazoogourmet.com/products/gas-grill-head/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8Ji8tdbo9gIVkitMCh2BjAYCEAAYASAAEgK6QvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The Kalamazoo stuff is definitely nice with some great features but it's just soooooo expensive. While most of their stuff have features that can arguably justify their cost (at least in relation to other somewhat similar items), their pizza oven is not up to standard for anywhere it's price.

A gasser is nice when you want to grill but just aren't up to dealing with or don't have time for charcoal. I like their gas grill because you can use gas, charcoal, wood, or a combination. If I won a big lottery, I'd probably have one.

A somewhat similarly featured gas/charcoal/wood grill is made by American Made Grills (https://americanmadegrills.com/). While descriptive and accurate, they don't have a very distinctive name!

• Like 1

Hybrid grills.  An interesting concept.  Certainly shiny and pretty.  With spring on its way I am really looking forward to spending time getting to know how to use a wood fired oven.  Sounds like they can get to high temps pretty quickly.  Wood. Fuel.  Nice.  This is a fun wood store.  Too expensive but super fun. https://wbstoves.co.uk/product/rb73-wood-storage-bruges

• Like 1