tekobo

Nigerian Suya

Seafood is still on my "to cook" list. But, my homebrewing club's annual holiday party was this past Saturday and not only do we bring insane amounts of great beers to drink, but the pot luck buffet is usually killer, too. This year I made up a batch of Suya pepper skewers of beef - about 3 dozen. They were a hit and gone well before the night was over. I'm sure that they aided in the consumption of beers, too, as I didn't hold back on the spice level.

@tekobo - I hear yah about the fingers. While I was wearing heatproof gloves most of the time doing about 5 batches of skewers, occasionally I had to go barehanded to corral a rogue skewer - ouch! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

The sea bass is looking very tasty. :) 

Thanks Mac.  Just checking - are prawns/shrimps on your list of non-preferred seafood?

31 minutes ago, tony b said:

This year I made up a batch of Suya pepper skewers of beef - about 3 dozen. They were a hit and gone well before the night was over. I'm sure that they aided in the consumption of beers, too, as I didn't hold back on the spice level.

Sounds like lots of fun.  One of our friends said our taco evening was a bit surreal for him.  There we were, talking about Brexit, listening to mariachi music while eating Nigerian-Mexican food.  He left a little less worried about Brexit but I think that was more down to the margaritas than our conversation!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Maybe, margaritas would help me develop a taste for seafood but I wouldn't count on it. Shrimp are OK if there's a very good dip handy. :) 

Such a shame Mac, being located a stones throw to some of the best fishing grounds and lobster in the world. I hope your not allergic. Anyhow you do make up for it many times over with the imaginative cooks you plate forward. However, I still find that thought hard to grasp. Excuse me while I wander away for a nice cup of seafood chowder.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/10/2018 at 11:20 PM, Tyrus said:

Did you bring back any Tequila?

No need to import any more tequila Tyrus.  We have such a large store of booze at home that I tell my husband that he has either bought enough to last us until we die or to kill us!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, tekobo said:

No need to import any more tequila Tyrus.  We have such a large store of booze at home that I tell my husband that he has either bought enough to last us until we die or to kill us!

I knew that I liked you for a good reason - you're after my own heart! In my case it's whiskey (Scotch and Bourbon) and not so much Tequila (but I do enjoy it, as well!) I'm ready for the zombie apocalypse! :occasion5:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/30/2019 at 9:16 PM, Pequod said:

Milk Street has a new Suya recipe up

Thanks Pequod.  I grabbed a pdf of the recipe for future reference.  The thing that makes me laugh is that, even though I had a lifetime of suya eating behind me, I did not know that suya pepper contained nuts until we got into the detail of making it on this forum.  All good.