ckreef

My Fresh Corn Adventure

@amusedtodeath made me do this :)

Where I work in South GA there are thousands of acres of GA sweet corn. Almost as far as the eye can see in some spots. I know GA is for peaches but the reality is peanuts are the number one crop. Peaches and sweet corn is right behind peanuts. Anyway the local fruit/vegetable stand goes out in the morning and picks fresh sweet corn straight out of the field. Me and Mrs skreef shucked it that afternoon. Some of the best looking corn I've ever bought. 

rgcorn1.thumb.jpg.9fcb5aec573907cde3e089d74f88ec98.jpg

Blanched it for 3 minutes. 6 ears at a time. 

rgcorn2.thumb.jpg.039b0e91bdf58a839ec309f2155fef54.jpg

After it cooled we stripped it. This is an awesome kitchen tool. A one trick poney but does it's one trick really well and fast. 

rgcorn3.thumb.jpg.a4ebd8a714a571baee8fa03a52bf694b.jpg

This is a half sheet cake pan fairly full. We put this in the freezer overnight. 

rgcorn4.thumb.jpg.3f0460b7e5820081835af5c443534529.jpg

After the kernels were frozen we vacuum sealed them 3+ cups to the bag. 

rgcorn5.thumb.jpg.1bcc50b2b5d5fc54e229d984e7df52c4.jpg

I have 2 more versions I want to make. 

1) Instead of blanching I'm going to grill the cobs before stripping them. Then we can have almost instant sizzle corn anytime we want it (my favorite corn). 

2) Homemade creamed corn. I'll have to do some research before doing this. I've made homemade cream corn before but never for freezing. 

Stay tuned more to come over the next week or two. 

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Tyrus said:

Yea we got a couple more than 2 dozen. I really think they just fill a brown grocery sack full and call it a dozen regardless. They were selling full (one dozen) bags so fast the girl filling them really didn't have much time to count. 

• Like 2

Very nice and envious of your find. Growing up in Illinois and going to school downstate, we used to get some incredible, fresh picked corn at a particular stand just off campus. Haven't had the like since. When you can get it that good, nothing else will do. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pequod said:

Very nice and envious of your find. Growing up in Illinois and going to school downstate, we used to get some incredible, fresh picked corn at a particular stand just off campus. Haven't had the like since. When you can get it that good, nothing else will do. 

My next batch I'll show the fresh picked picture. Not sure why I didn't do it this time other than I was just being lazy with the picture taking. 

• Like 1

I absolutely love fresh sweet corn, I could eat 8 of those cobs right now. :) :smt060 When I was much younger I ate 16 cobs and only stopped then because everyone was done and waiting for me to finish. I can't believe I did that. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

19 hours ago, Pequod said:

Our local stands should be popping up here soon. Can't wait!! Picked in the morning, cooked the same day on the grill - nothing better in summertime (although fresh homegrown tomatoes are right up there!!)

• Like 2

@ckreef  fresh corn is awesome.  I grow it on my allotment and make a rule of picking it just before I leave, getting home and popping it in the pot and eating it just as soon as I can.  The sugar levels are said to drop massively from point of picking and it is worth trying a cob - either boiled, or better still, cooked in its skin on the KK as soon as you possibly can after acquisition.  I got all dramatic and got one of my friends to have her pot of water boiling so that she could pop the corn in as soon as I dropped it off at her door.  This was the email she sent me shortly afterwards:

"THANK YOU very much!
I thought that when I reached the age of 70 there wouldn't be any great new experiences to be had(plenty of nasty ones tho', mostly health related) but the sweet corn you delivered to me yesterday....and greedily devoured within ten minutes ,were a wonderful new experience.You did warn me didn't you,saying if I hadn't eaten corn  straight from the plant then I had missed a great experience....how right you were.                                                          The sweetness was almost unbelievable. A real teat,thank you very much"

Needless to say, I was delighted.  That said, I have had good results from freezing cobs whole and putting them on the KK in the depths of winter.  A great memory of summer.  
  • Like 3

I've never been that hardcore to cook it ASAP after picking, but I understand that time is of the essence - at least 50% of the sugar is converted to starch within 24 hours of picking (you can slow this reaction down a bit by putting the ears in the fridge.) I buy it in the morning from the roadside stand - picked fresh daily, then put it into a slightly salted water bath when I get home until tossing on the grill, in the husks, for dinner. If it's early season corn, so not at peak sweetness, I'll peel the shucks back, remove the silk, slather butter, S&P and the "secret ingredient" - fresh tarragon, on it, then tie the shucks back up with butcher's twine, then onto the grill. The tarragon adds some perceived sweetness to the corn. But once the "good stuff" starts coming in, I do nothing to it until it hits the plate, then it's just butter and S&P. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

I totally agree, get the water on to boil, go to the garden and pick the corn. That is what I did when I grew it. Now that the raccoons steal it all I stopped growing it.emoji17.pngemoji853.pngemoji852.png

Deer, raccoon and bears, oh my! :mad:

23 hours ago, ckreef said:

@amusedtodeath made me do this :)

Well, I guess if that's my worst sin...(it's not) :):drinkers:

• Haha 3