Hephaestus

Rabbit on Rotisserie

While in a market the other day I saw this fresh rabbit. I decided to get it and give it a try on the rotisserie. We applied a wet paste and added cherry chips for some extra flavour. We found the meat very tender. If anything I would have used less wood chips. The smoke flavour was a little overwhelming. Have a look.pic1.thumb.JPG.e6ef19714c2a28160608aa7862c5bfcf.JPGpic2.thumb.JPG.daa346baa222faf76be85f541cfbaaec.JPGpic3.thumb.JPG.12b025a3524e63bc11c3fe33f2d01af4.JPGpic4.thumb.JPG.348cc0937df034015c0efb5ddd46cef1.JPG

• Like 7

Awesome cook. I've done rabbit a few times but never rotisserie. I've even made traditional Brunswick Stew with rabbit. Nice to see someone else doing a rabbit cook. Unfortunately the butcher where I've bought rabbit in the past has gone out of business. Bummer :(

While in a market the other day I saw this fresh rabbit. I decided to get it and give it a try on the rotisserie. We applied a wet paste and added cherry chips for some extra flavour. We found the meat very tender. If anything I would have used less wood chips. The smoke flavour was a little overwhelming. Have a look.pic1.thumb.JPG.e6ef19714c2a28160608aa7862c5bfcf.JPGpic2.thumb.JPG.daa346baa222faf76be85f541cfbaaec.JPGpic3.thumb.JPG.12b025a3524e63bc11c3fe33f2d01af4.JPGpic4.thumb.JPG.348cc0937df034015c0efb5ddd46cef1.JPG
Nicely done

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

18 minutes ago, BIGSHEP said:

I have never had rabbit on the rotisserie, but fried and smothered in gravy is the way I'm used to having it. I will have to try it this way. Nice job.

Well BIGSHEP, I have never even heard fried rabbit before. We have done rabbit a couple of other ways before, like braised in tomato wine sauce. Maybe I will give fry a try someday. Do you fry it in a pan or deep frier? pic1.thumb.jpg.fe8fd88998f9e7ac62c8a91982ce4094.jpgpic2.thumb.jpg.835292b85e49c7ef2069b18b55ac3cfe.jpg

Edited by Hephaestus

6 minutes ago, Hephaestus said:

Well BIGSHEP, I have never even heard fried rabbit before. We have done rabbit a couple of other ways before, like braised in tomato wine sauce. Maybe I will give fry pic1.thumb.jpg.fe8fd88998f9e7ac62c8a91982ce4094.jpgpic2.thumb.jpg.835292b85e49c7ef2069b18b55ac3cfe.jpga try someday. Do you fry it in a pan or deep frier? 

No I do not fry in a deep fryer. I season them up dip in flower place them in a frying pan and brown them on both sides. Drain grease off and smother them in gravy and finish cooking them in a pan.

Very unique display of heat deflector going on there. Many years ago I use to go to a live poultry and rabbit shop of Portuguese ownership. I'd order say'a 5lb. rabbit and the proprietor would grab the rabbit from the cage and before he turned the corner from the public store he would hit the rabbit on the head with a small club. Old country in the new country but, at the time it was acceptable. However, the image has never left my mind. Sorry to disturb you, but aside from this I have always favored the German preparation with of rabbit with potatoes and sour cream. The Portuguese have spices that compliment this game as well. Spinning the rabbit as you did looked well done as to say good show. In the pot or not I think the game is somehow overlooked and forgotten, thanks for bringing it to the forefront, I will endeavor to look for it again,.....preferably wrapped.

• Like 1