The Big E

Does size matter

Size does matter, I recommend calling Dennis and talking with him about your cooking style, amount, etc.  He will help you decide which is better.  I had the same questions when I purchased and went with the 32 and tiles

As for the tiles vs pebbles the tiles were more to our liking from a looks standpoint.

Had my grill for just over a week now and it really raised the quality of the cooking and the quality of the grill cannot be overstated when compared to other options.

Happy shopping, you wont be disappointed either way I think

• Like 2

All those are personal preferences, based upon lifestyle, family size, final home/location of the grill. As noted, Dennis is a Master at this, so chat him up (he LOVES doing it!) and he'll help you reach a decision. But, in the end, you're going to absolutely fall in love with whatever you decide to get. There is almost ZERO buyer's remorse here in KK land. In all my years on this Forum, I only recall ONE buyer who later regretted it and sold his grill. All the others who've sold were always due to other circumstances, usually moving to a place where they could take it with them and were heartbroken about it! 

• Like 1

Eli, pebble KKs cooks faster, uses less lump, looks more stunning and the food tastes noticeable better. Guess which one I picked? Seriously no matter what you choose you will be impressed with the beauty, functionality, and the taste of the food.:smt060

Do call Dennis and get his opinion, he will not pressure you in any way and will give you an honest to goodness opinion. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mac is a hack, just look at her posts. She only produces some of the most beautiful plates you’ll ever see. That said, she doesn’t know much about grills. Everyone knows that bronze tiles are far superior to others.

Now that the obligatory ribbing is done, it’s truly personal preference as to tile/pebble, and color. Yes, call Dennis and discuss size, he’s kinda like the family doctor, he’ll listen to your needs and truly recommend what is likely the best fit. He’s not a salesman in that he won’t arbitrarily try to get you to spend more money, he’ll honestly steer you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I own both a 23 and a 32. The 32 is the better grill regardless of your family size. There. I said it. The 23 is great too, but the 32 is just plain better. It is a true two-zone grill (the 23 isn’t), has more capacity, etc. I love them both, but if forced to choose one, it’s not even close. 32 hands down. Only thing better is a 32 in pebble.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the input so far.  I’m come here as a 20 year large big green egg user who egg got tipped over and cracked.   My first thought was just get another egg maybe the extra large but was looking for a better option.   My first thought was either the 19/or 23. But have been leaning to the 32 as the 2 zone cooking is simpler  other than the side shelf’s and divided charcoal holder what other options would you suggest?

Would definitely go for the rotisserie spit and forks, i got both roti baskets, but haven't put them to use yet. Lots of owners also recommend his coffee and coco lump to go with your order, your in for a treat either way.......oops forgot, make sure the camera is up and running for the obligatory shots down the track :smt023

Edited by BonFire

9 hours ago, The Big E said:

Thanks for all the input so far.  I’m come here as a 20 year large big green egg user who egg got tipped over and cracked.   My first thought was just get another egg maybe the extra large but was looking for a better option.   My first thought was either the 19/or 23. But have been leaning to the 32 as the 2 zone cooking is simpler  other than the side shelf’s and divided charcoal holder what other options would you suggest?

Sorry to hear about the humptying of your egg. This is much better. You won't regret it. 

I upgraded from a Weber. The KK is major major step up. Like everyone has said, talk to Dennis. I ended up with a 23 pebble one. Really happy with it. I can feed a large group with this.

Pequod is right though. If you want to two zones and have more space the 32 is the way to go.

Buyers remorse... I wish I could get two hahaha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I owned bge for 15 plus years before moving up to KK. I now own a 23 it is absolutely is wonderful to cook on there are times when I cook for large gatherings where I have to have food on main grate and put in the upper grate but if I had the 32 I could just use the main grate (most of the time its perfect for my family of 4) that being said if I had to do it all over again I would pick the 32 but you can not go wrong with the 23 or any KK for that matter.. as was said call Dennis he will guide you through this process.. good luck

11 hours ago, The Big E said:

You will find the kk's are much harder to tip over. :)

I have a 23 and love it. There have been times a 32 would be nice but I think I would prefer a 2nd grill in those cases.

• Haha 2

I was in your shoes about a month and half ago. 23 or 32 that is the big question. Dennis steered me towards the 32” even though it is just my wife and I for the most part. The true 2-zone cooking was a huge reason why he steered me the way he did. But when we hosted Father’s Day I loaded the top 2 grills up and still had a 3rd completely empty. I have got it up to temp to make Sunday breakfast for just the 2 of us in 30 or 40 minutes. So it boils down to personal preference, size constraints, moving constraints and I hate to bring it up money constraints. I justified going larger because if you troll through this site, the used ones don’t really depreciate and there is one post saying “there must be something wrong” or something like that about a 10 year old KK out in the elements in Seattle that looks better then my 3 month old garaged black grand Cherokee! My back ground in cooking is a little different then most on here.  I came from the restaurant business and I don’t mean fast food! When Dennis and everyone else on here says this cooker will take you to the next level I was extremely skeptical!!! For Father’s Day I made ribs which I have never ever done before, my brothers significant other’s father is on the rib circuit and I was told is quite the rib man.  I was told hands down the ribs I made were the best he has had.  I took the credit with a smile.  But when you can take chicken to 185, on accident, and it still is awesome... I can’t take too much credit for that. As for accessories cold smoker, basket splitter, pizza stone and rotisserie.  I also went with a custom cabinet and covers. I am trying to weasel my way into some charcoal.  At least get some coffee smoking wood.

If you haven’t figured out here the people are pretty awesome as well. They are a wealth of amazing knowledge! After 10 plus years in 4 and 5 diamond restaurants and some time at a culinary college is about even with what I have learned here in the short time I have been a member. I am not talking about basics, your not buying a KK if you need help boiling water! I mean the recipes and techniques I have never even heard of or thought were even possible! Now I just need to figure out how to buy another one.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, The Big E said:

Do you use the cold smoker for all your smoking or do you use the Dutch oven technique. Or do you just throw a couple of wood chunks on the charcoal? 

All of the above! Depends on what I'm doing. So far, I've only used the cold smoker for doing just that - cheese, fish, nuts, etc. Not used it for a regular hot cook. My dutch oven smoker pot is my "go to" for longer cooks (over 2 hours). For short cooks, I'll just toss the chunks on top of the lump. 

My rec's on "must have" accessories: 2nd charcoal basket and splitter (2nd basket makes swapping out a breeze), rotisserie rod/forks and basket (each has it's purpose), pizza stone and Sunbrella cover (especially here in the Midwest.) Load up the pallet with as much cocochar, coffee wood charcoal and smoking wood as it will hold. Only way to get it now in the States. "Nice to haves" are the cold smoker and double bottomed drip pan. Depending on the home for your KK, the side tables coming in handy or have Dennis make you one of his custom cabinets (if you want to splurge a bit.)

• Like 1

Cold smoker never tried the Dutch oven method. I do have some wood that is too large for the smoker so I just throw it in with the charcoal. To be completely honest before my KK I never smoked a thing! I am original from central California, born and raised.  I grew up 30 minutes from Santa Maria and if you google Santa Maria BBQ it is completely different.

3 hours ago, Chanly1983 said:

Cold smoker never tried the Dutch oven method. I do have some wood that is too large for the smoker so I just throw it in with the charcoal. To be completely honest before my KK I never smoked a thing! I am original from central California, born and raised.  I grew up 30 minutes from Santa Maria and if you google Santa Maria BBQ it is completely different.

They definitely know their way around some good tritip and pinquinto beans.