ckreef

KK Cold Smoker, Blueberries and Ribs

On 7/15/2018 at 9:37 PM, Pequod said:

Yes, the difference between pellets and chips is remarkable. However, not all pellets are created equal. I tried pellets when I first got my cold smoker two year ago and found that they left an unnatural, tar-like residue. Cheap, no-name pellets. Tried pellets again earlier this year, but sought out higher quality pellets from cookinpellets.com. Worked like a charm. No going back.

smoke ring pellets are even better then cookingpellets but you are so right they are not created equal probably the tar like residue is from flavor oils that a lot of cheap manufacturers put in there pellets treager pellets is notorious for doing that they also add fillers. just like lump you have to watch what you buy lol 

2 hours ago, Stile88 said:

smoke ring pellets are even better then cookingpellets but you are so right they are not created equal probably the tar like residue is from flavor oils that a lot of cheap manufacturers put in there pellets treager pellets is notorious for doing that they also add fillers. just like lump you have to watch what you buy lol 

No, not Traeger! Everything they make is awesome! I saw it on Instagram!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Pequod said:

No, not Traeger! Everything they make is awesome! I saw it on Instagram!!!

I cooked ribs this weekend using the cold smoker and the fruit blend cookingpellets. The tar residue was aweful!  Following the cook I pulled the cold smoker out and the part that inserts into the guru port was coated in tar.  I put my plug back in and yesterday it was essentially glued into the KK.  I was spinning a chicken last night and wanted to remove the plug to get the coals up to temp faster.  It wouldn't budge.  I tried again once the KK got up to temp and it came right out but had the tar all over it.  The first time I used the cookingpellets I did not have any tar residue.  Not sure what changed this time around.  They were from the same bag as last time.

Just now, Keith B said:

I cooked ribs this weekend using the cold smoker and the fruit blend cookingpellets. The tar residue was aweful!  Following the cook I pulled the cold smoker out and the part that inserts into the guru port was coated in tar.  I put my plug back in and yesterday it was essentially glued into the KK.  I was spinning a chicken last night and wanted to remove the plug to get the coals up to temp faster.  It wouldn't budge.  I tried again once the KK got up to temp and it came right out but had the tar all over it.  The first time I used the cookingpellets I did not have any tar residue.  Not sure what changed this time around.  They were from the same bag as last time.

Oops, I was actually using Lumberjack pellets and not CookingPellets.

On 7/10/2019 at 5:50 PM, tekobo said:

I am wondering if I need to drill a round hole at the bottom of each of the two vertical slots in the bracket to make it easy to slip the smoker off when done i.e. without needing to fully remove the bolts.

Having examined the smoker properly I now know that my proposal, as set out above, was flawed.  The tube that fits into the KK means you cannot "slip the smoker off" without undoing the bolts (see picture below).  I am now more relaxed about all of this.  I load the smoker with just the amount of pellets that I think I need, they burn out and I leave the smoker to cool before unbolting from the KK.

hOje0tSQRaO3EsNne7vGWA.thumb.jpg.b419dc1bf3160c81fe69b9554ce6c27e.jpg

• Like 2

My old post higher up in this thread illustrates the "problem" that I had.  I wanted to be able to slide the hot/cold smoker off the KK without having to undo the bolts.  I came to the conclusion that was not possible.  Until now. Dear Dennis came to my (our) rescue and sent me the new parts on the left in the photo below. 

IMG_7685.thumb.jpeg.28fe48be0910568d91dfd2ab4470e4e1.jpeg

I replaced the part on my hot/cold smoker and now have this really elegant solution.

I love @DennisLinkletter

• Like 5

Oh my gosh, I want one!

I was just exchanging emails yesterday and today with another member about the retrofit bolt-on smoker attachment. I’ll have to see if Dennis will make one of these brackets for me when I order the retro port and straight smoker tube.

• Like 3