Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ckreef

KK Cold Smoker, Blueberries and Ribs

On 7/15/2018 at 9:37 PM, Pequod said:

Yes, the difference between pellets and chips is remarkable. However, not all pellets are created equal. I tried pellets when I first got my cold smoker two year ago and found that they left an unnatural, tar-like residue. Cheap, no-name pellets. Tried pellets again earlier this year, but sought out higher quality pellets from cookinpellets.com. Worked like a charm. No going back.

smoke ring pellets are even better then cookingpellets but you are so right they are not created equal probably the tar like residue is from flavor oils that a lot of cheap manufacturers put in there pellets treager pellets is notorious for doing that they also add fillers. just like lump you have to watch what you buy lol 

Awesome write up CK i need to get one of these myself and get that extra port as well i will get around to ordering one of these days

@tekobo, like Mac, I have the guru port access smoker, but it seems to me your proposed solution is appropriate or at least the one I would use. Stability but also ease of removal for cleaning.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stile88 said:

smoke ring pellets are even better then cookingpellets but you are so right they are not created equal probably the tar like residue is from flavor oils that a lot of cheap manufacturers put in there pellets treager pellets is notorious for doing that they also add fillers. just like lump you have to watch what you buy lol 

No, not Traeger! Everything they make is awesome! I saw it on Instagram!!!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Pequod said:

I cooked ribs this weekend using the cold smoker and the fruit blend cookingpellets. The tar residue was aweful!  Following the cook I pulled the cold smoker out and the part that inserts into the guru port was coated in tar.  I put my plug back in and yesterday it was essentially glued into the KK.  I was spinning a chicken last night and wanted to remove the plug to get the coals up to temp faster.  It wouldn't budge.  I tried again once the KK got up to temp and it came right out but had the tar all over it.  The first time I used the cookingpellets I did not have any tar residue.  Not sure what changed this time around.  They were from the same bag as last time.

Just now, Keith B said:

I cooked ribs this weekend using the cold smoker and the fruit blend cookingpellets. The tar residue was aweful!  Following the cook I pulled the cold smoker out and the part that inserts into the guru port was coated in tar.  I put my plug back in and yesterday it was essentially glued into the KK.  I was spinning a chicken last night and wanted to remove the plug to get the coals up to temp faster.  It wouldn't budge.  I tried again once the KK got up to temp and it came right out but had the tar all over it.  The first time I used the cookingpellets I did not have any tar residue.  Not sure what changed this time around.  They were from the same bag as last time.

Oops, I was actually using Lumberjack pellets and not CookingPellets.

23 hours ago, Pequod said:

ha ha ha lol