The Big E

Fuel used

I’m using rock wood only because I don’t want to blow through my coco char too quickly, I’m hoping Dennis gets this worked out soon. As far as wood, it strictly depends on what I’m cooking. For pork, I like maple, beef, I like oak and mesquite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Best source for smoking wood - Fruita woods.

https://fruitawoodchunks.com/

I usually have several on hand - cherry, apple, peach for flavor; hickory, maple, and red oak as a base. Need some mesquite, but they are currently out. Dennis' coffee wood is very nice. 

Check out the Naked Whiz's charcoal database as a great resource.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

I've tried a lot of charcoals over the years. My favorite unfortunately is very hard to get here - Weekend Warrior from Wicked Good Charcoal. Tried Fogo, but didn't like it - too big chunks, sparks like crazy, hard to light. Settling on Rockwood now because it's easy to get locally and it's pretty good stuff. Just recently tried the Kamado Joe lump; it was decent, but lots of very large chunks, burns OK. If I'm desperate, I'll use Royal Oak lump, not briquettes. Cheap, burns fast though, so you go through a bag pretty quick. 

Best advice - stay away from Cowboy! Don't be lured in by the wide availability and low price. Nasty stuff - leftover scrap lumber pieces. Burns like paper and often has an off smell. 

100% of my cooks have wood mixed in, depending on what meat I'm cooking. Wood i have bought from traders online, my own garden (banksia cones) and friends, pecan, jam wood, sandalwood. Charcoal sourced locally its called Mallee here, and i adhere to a Harry Soo tip of making sure the wood chunks are under the charcoal so they smolder and not burn when put on top (only found tip a couple of weeks ago so still in test phase).

• Like 1

100% of my cooks have wood mixed in, depending on what meat I'm cooking. Wood i have bought from traders online, my own garden (banksia cones) and friends, pecan, jam wood, sandalwood. Charcoal sourced locally its called Mallee here, and i adhere to a Harry Soo tip of making sure the wood chunks are under the charcoal so they smolder and not burn when put on top (only found tip a couple of weeks ago so still in test phase).
For long cooks wood underneath the charcoal can keep it going but wood on top is fine just wait till it settles down

Outback kamado Bar and Grill