alimac23

Food placement when using basket splitter

Hi All,

Quick question about where to place the food, specifically a chicken when using the basket splitter, I’ve got the splitter setup in this configuration:

d9af3d0dc25b3ab727945f82cefec404.jpg

My question is am I better off placing the drip pan directly over the fire on the left hand side and then the chicken above that, or should I place the drip pan and chicken on the right hand side further away from the direct heat, in my old kamado there was only room for one configuration which was deflector plate then drip pan then food, just wondered if anyone had a preference on the 32BB?

Hey Tangles it’s a mix of redheads and honeybrix, I’m planning on switching to honeybrix for my low n slow and chicken cooks and then use regular lump for pizza and anything high heat

Cool. I got a couple boxes of honeybrix. It’s okay. Good for low and slow. Lasts a long time.
My pizza cooks though take forever. Too hard to get going. Need 3 hours to get hot enough.
Going to go back to lump for pizza and high temp cooks.
That said I thought honeybrix got hotter than lump charcoal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Hey Tangles it’s a mix of redheads and honeybrix, I’m planning on switching to honeybrix for my low n slow and chicken cooks and then use regular lump for pizza and anything high heat

Oh does it work better when you break them up like that?

• Like 1

Oh does it work better when you break them up like that?

Hey Tangles, they seem to light a lot faster when you break them up like that, they definitely take a bit of time to get going, I always light mine with. Looftlighter and then get a decent sized ball going before shutting the lid and adjusting the vents.
  • Like 1

I've yet to try the honey. But they look like robot turds /redheads .you defenitly need to use your hair dryer on these to ark them up

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

Yep used a blower. Still took a long time. Will try breaking them up next time

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alimac23 said:

The robot turds and honeybrix are both really neutral, I’m thinking that’s what Dennis’s extruded charcoal would be like too.

Definitely harder to light but they’re great once hey get going

Yep! CocoChar is pretty close to flavorless, so it's perfect for letting the other wood flavors shine through. 

• Like 2