ckreef

Cold Smoked Salsa

Had a little time to waste today and was bored so I thought I would give this a try. A simple uncooked salsa cold smoked using Rosemary, Thyme and Basil pellets. 

These aren't the exact ingredients as I did some substitutions along the way, but they're close. 

ssalsa1.thumb.jpg.4ba9037a51351836a67e404059955372.jpg

Chopped up, mixed up, and put in the KK for cold smoking. The bottom pan has a layer of ice in it to help keep the upper pan of salsa cold. One hour in the cold smoke stirring every 20 minutes. 

ssalsa2.thumb.jpg.caeb4253e5884a6c53b8980622c008f1.jpg

The end product. Made a slightly bigger batch than I intended but that's okay cause I love dipping chips in this style of salsa. A little heat and a little smoke. I'm going to guess that it will be a little hotter and a little more Smokey after it sits in the refrigerator a few days. 

ssalsa3.thumb.jpg.8dae57117d86c2fd9514fd5b81eb8482.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Had a little time to waste today and was bored so I thought I would give this a try. A simple uncooked salsa cold smoked using Rosemary, Thyme and Basil pellets. 

These aren't the exact ingredients as I did some substitutions along the way, but they're close. 
ssalsa1.thumb.jpg.4ba9037a51351836a67e404059955372.jpg

Chopped up, mixed up, and put in the KK for cold smoking. The bottom pan has a layer of ice in it to help keep the upper pan of salsa cold. One hour in the cold smoke stirring every 20 minutes. 
ssalsa2.thumb.jpg.caeb4253e5884a6c53b8980622c008f1.jpg

The end product. Made a slightly bigger batch than I intended but that's okay cause I love dipping chips in this style of salsa. A little heat and a little smoke. I'm going to guess that it will be a little hotter and a little more Smokey after it sits in the refrigerator a few days. 
ssalsa3.thumb.jpg.8dae57117d86c2fd9514fd5b81eb8482.jpg

There's nothing tastier than a homemade salsa and yours looks good.
  • Thanks 1

The salsa was uncooked. Normally I'd chop everything up, mix it up and straight into the refrigerator. With the cold smoker (no fire at all) I would have the salsa sitting in a grill at 90* ambient temp for an hour. Probably didn't need to worry about that but thought keeping all the fresh ingredients actually cold for the hour of smoke before going in the refrigerator was the right thing to do. I might be a little paranoid but better safe than sorry. 

• Like 1