Seasport

Bbq roof

MacKenzie, we have had a nice dry summer, however rain seems to always appear in the fall.
Do you have any thoughts on KK sizes.
Thanks
I believe it is always better to have too much room than too little. You don't have to use all the grill space you have but there is nothing you can do if you have too little. The food cooked on the KK tastes so much better than food cooked on any other grill. You are going to love your KK no matter the size.
  • Like 1

I’ve used both regularly. I cook for a family of 2-3 most of the time, and use the 32 the most...by far. If I had to sell one, and I’m not, it’s the 23 that sees the door. 

“Better” includes not just construction quality, but also versatility for cooking. The half main grate alone adds much to versatility, with easy access to lower grates without removing upper grates, etc. It’s not the size in terms of grate space that makes it better. It’s the versatility that space - and the half main - give you.

”Bigger is Better” has NEVER been my position on this. 

• Like 2

Thanks for input, most are saying that 32” is the way to go. I have to make a template of grill sizes and lay out pans or items I maybe cooking at different times. I am kind of leaning to a 32” KK.

Any thoughts on accessories for KK.

I am looking forward to having a roof for rain periods!

Regard’s

Thanks for the idea and motivation, have to get started on mine. Looks like a great job, in particular the steel plated joinery. I've seen it used in brick builds outside the structures wall for strength and rigidity. Did you do the beams yourself...because they seem to have a flair on the bottom side, a pleasant exposure for the eye. Well done, a nice cover for the expected KK..., whatever choice it is.

Hi, yes did timbers and dreamed up the design, while on holiday in Maui. Beams were purchased milled green, I dryed and routerred edges and ends. Fasteners are called timberlynx with timber rings at shear points and home made metal brackets, a few more to make and add.

First will try to get roof installed.

Regard’s

• Like 3

I consider the pizza stone, rotisserie basket & rod, basket splitter (with maybe a second charcoal basket), and cold smoker to be essentials. Plus, don't forget to load up the pallet with as much cocochar, coffee wood chunks and charcoal, as will fit. 

I’m not going to say don’t get it, but I know of very few that do. The gas door can sometimes be a source of air, it can work open a bit and cause temp control problems because it’s somewhat out of sight. There’s a kit to close it somewhat permanently available.

You’re getting into a whole new world with a kk, so you might consider sticking with what you know you’ll use. The gas burner can be purchased at any time, and I suggest using your grill first, and buy the burner after the fact, if you think you want it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I second Robert on the gas burner. I can't name anyone on the Forum that has one and the rear door is often the source of air leaks that can mess up your temperature control, especially when you want to shut down the grill and smother the fire. I got the kit from Dennis to seal mine up. In fact, it's so seldom requested that Dennis is not longer including the rear door as the "standard design."

It's really not that hard to preheat a KK, you just have to factor the time into your cooking schedule. I live in Iowa, which gets much colder than Vancouver, and I cook on mine year round without the gas burner.