Aussie Ora

Beef ribs

Thanks for posting, Aussie Ora. Those look Over-The-Top good!
I’m not much of a beef eater, but want to fix some ribs for my son. Could you please post info about your cook? Keep in mind that I’m a complete newcomer as far as beef ribs, so any info would be appreciated.
Hey Geo no worries beef ribs are simple as .I get my 23 up to 250 and throw what wood I want on I like pecan or wine barrel for my ribs . First I cut the fat cap off the top completely no fat just meat .I then flip them over and score the membrane on the bottom unlike pork ribs there is no need to remove this plus it keeps everything in tact give it what rub you like .then flip back over and give the top and all sides some rub . I use a bit of foil on one side of the lower grate as a deflector .once everything is steady I throw them on .I don't spritz as the 23 holds the moisture so well .they usually take 5 hours or to 210f internal . Have fun cooking some

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

Hey Geo no worries beef ribs are simple as .I get my 23 up to 250 and throw what wood I want on I like pecan or wine barrel for my ribs . First I cut the fat cap off the top completely no fat just meat .I then flip them over and score the membrane on the bottom unlike pork ribs there is no need to remove this plus it keeps everything in tact give it what rub you like .then flip back over and give the top and all sides some rub . I use a bit of foil on one side of the lower grate as a deflector .once everything is steady I throw them on .I don't spritz as the 23 holds the moisture so well .they usually take 5 hours or to 210f internal . Have fun cooking some

Thanks so much, Aussie. Your instructions make it sound easy. I hope to give it a try tomorrow. Will let you know how it turned out.

• Like 1

Smoked the beef ribs last weekend. Got rushed, and didn’t take time to let the temperature stabilized. How many times do I need to learn that lesson?   ;<(   Temperature went up to 300°, and refused to cool down. KK holds heat so well that it takes a LONG time for the temperature to change. (Normally a good thing).

The ribs were still juicy, but a bit of a crust on the outside made it less-than-perfect. (Mrs. Geo liked them, but I know they can be so much better when cooked properly)  I’ll try it again in a few days. 

• Like 2

Smoked the beef ribs last weekend. Got rushed, and didn’t take time to let the temperature stabilized. How many times do I need to learn that lesson?   ; The ribs were still juicy, but a bit of a crust on the outside made it less-than-perfect. (Mrs. Geo liked them, but I know they can be so much better when cooked properly)  I’ll try it again in a few days. 
Don't stress mate ribs can go 250f to 300f without any drama on the grill .I ark up .Ora to 350 take grates out throw on wood replace bottom grate and add foil as the deflector put top grate in and close lid and let it settle .show us some pics

Cooked another batch of ribs this evening. Got these ribs at the local butcher shop instead of a grocery store. They were more than twice as thick!  Cooked them just as Aussie said. At 3 hours, there was a large amount of juice on one of the racks as can be seen in the picture. After a total of 6-hours, there was still juice pooling on the ribs. Even though it’s bedtime, I decided to try a small slice... WONDERFUL... Very Tender, and LOTS of flavor! Thank you Aussie, for your sure-fire directions. You and the KK made it easy!

We cooked these for my son, but as good as it tastes, we’ll probably keep one of the racks for ourselves!

EDC71E31-3BC7-4521-B3D8-D62002127522.jpeg

844F6095-8C77-4533-AD86-4B9847014173.jpeg

EBFA3879-A987-4A81-AA06-F70065FA7471.jpeg

• Like 2

I do my ribs at 225ish and they take away least ten hours. I hit a long stall on them too. Both of yours cook fast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beef ribs are best cooked at 250 to 300 in my opinion they don't need 10 hours to turn out good 5 to 6 is efficient .as long as they probe tender all is good

All Aussie's posts of shorties had me Jonesing for some. I had a pack of bison ribs in the freezer, plus the local market had some beef ribs marked down, so grabbed a pack of those, as well. 

Did 3 different rubs - the bison (large rack) was the Cave Man Coffee rub that Aussie sent me, the beef rib on the right was Lane's Pitmaster Select #1 (Ancho Coffee Rub) and the other beef rib was Plowboy's Bovine Bold. 

20180901_162937.thumb.jpg.ac9107c1e245c32c14eb088796a65f18.jpg

They were cooked direct @ 250F with the cold smoker loaded with pecan wood pellets. 

20180901_180232.thumb.jpg.25e7ae0adaa9715062504241a71748d2.jpg

Plated with some local corn, mashed potatoes (done sous vide), a nice salad with a tomato from my garden. 

20180901_180940.thumb.jpg.bcdf37031a9ed4c97f6c03b9a052ffb9.jpg

Ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille!

20180901_180951.thumb.jpg.015ee45dd0640e3a6c9c81f9e068ef7c.jpg

My fav of the 3 rubs was the Lanes. And the Cline Zin wasn't too shabby either!! :drinkers:

• Like 2

Ok I was inspired and tracked down some beef ribs...  Local grocery store didn't have any so went to Sam's Club.  I bought a bulk pack (20 pounds in 4 slabs).  Was about $6.50/lb.  For those in the US - where do you find whole ribs and what is typical price?

I plan to cook these tomorrow for our Labor Day cookout.

Thanks

IMG_5002.jpg

• Like 2