Cookie

32 Big Bad Setup

Another fan of no foil here. It’s a lot of work, and for my taste, completely unnecessary. Rub you baby backs as you care to, and cook them. No peeking, no water pan, spritzing, nothing. If you choose 225°, you’re looking at roughly 5 hours, less if hotter. Personally, I like 250° ish for 4+ ish. It mostly depends on how you like your ribs texture wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

LOVE New Orleans in particular and Louisiana in general. We lived in Baton Rouge and New Orleans (my wife was state head of Public Health and they had their offices in the CBD, so we kept an apartment in NO for four years). We go back every few years for a week to eat (went for anniversary two years ago) and I always think that you have to diet for a week before and a week after a week in New Orleans. I go down to Lafayette every year for the Festivale Internationale (Jazzfest has gotten too big!). Elizabeth's in Bywater is a favorite place. (Also lived in Shreveport for 8 years, though there is some debate as to whether it is really Louisiana or East Texas.)

However, the difference in humidity levels down there and Salt Lake/Denver might have something to do with whether foil-wrapping is less necessary for the ribs down there.

Geaux Saints! ( We wuz robbed!)

• Like 1

I will add..the kk is so efficient, it’s airflow is so low, I believe this is the reason foil isn’t needed. I can’t tell you how many times there’s a puddle of liquid below the lower draft door during a lo/slo cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Pequod said:

I'm a regular over in "The Pit" at Amazing Ribs as well. Yeah, it costs money, but that just helps keep the riff-raff away. Worth the small fee, in my opinion.

Can't get rid of "US" that easily :-D !!!!    Agree..............Great site!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, since you all asked for pictures...

I got my new 32" metallic bronze delivered last Friday and spent most of the afternoon uncrating it, and with the help of two of my neighbors, got it up the improvised ramp onto my back patio without incidence. The weather in the meanwhile until Thursday has been the total S***s here in Denver, so Friday was my first chance to use it and I was doing pulled pork for a family dinner last night (and to repay one of the two helpful neighbors). I thought I would be clever and start the fire the night before, when I went to bed, and that I would get up in the morning and just pop the butts (pork) on the already warm smoker and have a go at it. Unfortunately, I am still learning the proper setting and control, and I squeezed the airflow just a leeeetle too far down, and sometime over the course of the night it went out and was cold when I got up at 7 to start my cook. So I lost an hour restarting and stablizing it. Ces't la vie.

The pork butts got rubbed down the night before and had created a really nice dry marinade for the meat (1/2 Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust to equal parts brown sugar, sea salt and pepper). The butts went on around 8:15 and stayed around the 250*range all day. At 5:30 they were still only about 160* in the stall so I upped the temp to nearly 400* to finish by 7PM. A full 12 hours at 250* would have been better, but you do what you have to.

Happily, the results were EXCELLENT. I mean, maybe the best I have done on either my former Kamado (Johnson) smoker or my Lang stick-burner. Really, I could not be more pleased, and my family, always the best critics I have, couldn't say enough goo things about the pulled pork. I am a happy boy. And here are pictures:

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

• Like 3

Has anyone had success using a "Meater" remote thermometer with a Komodo-Kamado? I was quite excited to try it out yesterday when I did my first cook, a couple of butts for pulled pork. I finally conlcuded, by process of elimination, that the "Meater" just dosn't have a strong enough signal to transmit to the app on my phone through the heavy ceramic of the KK. Any thoughts?

Jim , Denver

I own 2 Meater probes. The original has limited range, has nothing to do with the KK design. It works OK, but the signal will drop out randomly. It auto-reconnects, but it's a PITA, especially if you turn on the alarm function. The new one, Meater+, has extended range and works much better. Only option out there for rotisserie cooks.

Like others here, I bought the original Meater. Very disappointed in the range so it has been in the box ever since. Finally, the company provided a Meater+ “upgrade” option to the original Meater crowd to purchase a new Meater+ charger and range extender at a discount. I just received mine this week but won’t try it until the weather improves. I am hopeful the extended range will work in my situation.

Typically I use the Thermoworks Smoke for remote monitoring since I already have lots of probes (really, LOTS of probes) from my various Thermoworks devices. But, as Tony notes, the Meater is the only thing which will work on a rotisserie.

• Like 1

So we tried to get the cover on the 32" with the side tables the other day and it didn't fit; everything else in the manufacture has been damn near perfect, so I was surprised but sent Dennis and company a note. Dennis called back and gave my wife instructions (I wasn't home) -something about folding the side tables up and back. Daneta is smarter than the average bear (and I am sure smarter than I am) so I am sure we will get it figured out, but just for this neophyte's sake, does anyone have any pictures of how this thing works with folding the side tables back to accommodate the cover?

I really, really love the build quality. This will be an excellent inheritance for my son-in-law or grandson at some point which I hope is far in the future.

Jim in Denver

• Like 1

Okay, this was actually much, much simpler than it sounded as my wife relayed what she thought Dennis told her. In actuality, it is one simple motion: grasp either side of the table close to the body of the KK and pull straight up. The table lifts out of the bracket (it would have been a LOT easier to install if I had known they come apart: some instructions or a simple schematic in the shipping package might be a good idea) and stores inside the 32" KK. No big deal at all. Mystery solved.

Jim