MacKenzie

Summer Breakfast

Every summer I wait for the yellow beans to appear. I love have fried bean, potato and onion breakfast. Steam the beans and potatoes the night before then fry them up with butter and onion for breakfast. This is my favourite summertime breakfast and I have it everyday until the beans are gone. :)  This summer I grew the Japanese herb, Shiso. Beautiful colour and great flavour.

1402877484_ASummerBreakfast.thumb.jpg.ab1203e30aff7f00f9cbbf3c376796fb.jpg

377037293_SummerBreakfast.thumb.jpg.b873f1a05d3961c206f9e79492ef31a9.jpg

Here's to summer breakfasts. :) 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, tony b said:

Have you tried frying the shiso leaves?

Yes, thanks for the tip Tony and also to @MacKenzie for illustrating how shiso can be used with other meals.  I have difficulty getting hold of it here and so decided to grow some this year.  It has gone bonkers and I don't make sushi often enough to keep up.  So far I have used it to make a fresh tea infusion and it is an ingredient in one of The Husband's more unusual cocktails.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tony b said:

Need to find a source for it, as I might try and grow some myself next year! Any tips on where to find seeds or live plants?

Everything is but a google search away.  I can report that amazon.com sell shiso seeds.  And I am sure there will be others in the US who sell the plants.  It is difficult for anything to be "rare" these days.

• Like 2