ckreef

Primo Oval Jr w/ GO Cradle

After the WFO oven I swore no more grills but Mrs skreef learned not to believe that line of crap a few grills ago - LOL 

For the last few years me and Mrs skreef have been taking an Akorn Jr on vacation with us. Our honeymoon, rental cabin, sisters house, the beach, even NASCAR. The Akorn Jr has served us well but when Primo came out with the GO Cradle for their Oval Jr I knew I would eventually get that setup.

We had that lunar eclipse a couple of weeks ago and it made my wallet have a mind of it's own (that's my story and I'm sticking to it  ;) )     Well it finally arrived at my local dealer and I picked it up yesterday. 

pjr1.thumb.jpg.6716e4e39b54851d763095bb490036b2.jpg

pjr2.thumb.jpg.48ab47aeba39471bc150ba5625e150de.jpg

pjr3.thumb.jpg.4275e6bed17c2200005a7e26c875f4bf.jpg

The inner workings and a few extra parts. 

pjr4.thumb.jpg.5d5e332c90d38a157ab00c66693c181f.jpg

Here is the GO Cradle. 9 bolts/nuts and about 10 minutes to assemble. Fairly study with nice two hand handles. 

pjr5.thumb.jpg.44ec8230db0e296a2e44b61137138f6b.jpg

pjr6.thumb.jpg.4227f4bc85bdbcd6a3cc02aa45b64e35.jpg

Altogether now. 

pjr7.thumb.jpg.38009963fedda49678baecd862c30f73.jpg

pjr8.thumb.jpg.fb8c4a24c2945959823fb6b71bece8bc.jpg

I had some time before dinner so I fired it up to play with the vents. First stop was low-n-slow. 240* was easy enough. I let it ride there for almost 2 hours until we were done eating dinner. After that I bumped it up a bit and let it ride there for 30 minutes or so before shutting down the vents and going to bed. Very pleased with it's performance and will be cooking dinner on it tonight. It's basically Jr on steroids..... 

pjr9.thumb.jpg.0a21ca70e03d52d90bb1b328b7951899.jpg

pjrf.thumb.jpg.edc019395c8c4481431f83a8e7939617.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Aussie Ora said:

Looks good as long as you don't have to carry it to far lol I know the Jr is not exactly light

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

This setup is listed at 116 lbs so doable with 2 people although probably won't walk this down the long path to the beach. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tekobo said:

Tee hee.  I don't think this is helping the 42 Fund.  Just sayin'...

LOL - as this point the only thing that is going to help that fund is the lottery. 

But Mrs skreef is expecting me to pull the trigger on a true outdoor kitchen one day (before the 42).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, tony b said:

Nice way to tailgate for sure! 

But, you didn't say whether you were going to sell the Jr now? The conservation of grills rule - One new grill comes in, one old grill goes out. Gotta maintain grill equilibrium. :laughing6:

I doubt I'll sell the Akorn Jr. I understand grill equilibrium but I've just now hit the plateau - maybe. When I finally get a 42" I'll get rid of the 14" Akorn Jr to maintain equilibrium - that only seems fair ;)

If the right person comes along I will give them my old small Yakatori grill. I doubt I'll ever break that out again. 

• Haha 1

Nice little tailgater you have there ckreef, one more toy in the arsenal. I'm looking at the barrel cookers myself for my next purchase but that little primo does have some open options on the menu plan.  A stick burner now, that's the way, fuel is free and you wash it out with a garden hose, just sayin.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tyrus said:

Nice little tailgater you have there ckreef, one more toy in the arsenal. I'm looking at the barrel cookers myself for my next purchase but that little primo does have some open options on the menu plan.  A stick burner now, that's the way, fuel is free and you wash it out with a garden hose, just sayin.

I thought about the trailer hitch keg setup but it's way more than my 2-3 person family would ever need. And the Primo Oval Jr with GO cradle is just way kewl - LOL 

• Like 1

Kevin who sells the Octo forks I think it's Kevin .any way he posted the plans of a drum smoker he built looked good

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

Kevin who sells the Octo forks I think it's Kevin .any way he posted the plans of a drum smoker he built looked good

For the cost I think the pit barrel at 299 is reasonable and it can be retro fitted with tubular vents and chimney as some of the pricier models.  For me the ability to take it with you on vacation or holiday for our UK friends is high on the list. As you say even the smaller primo is hefty and it's breakable, certainly wouldn't want to drop it. A 20 lb barrel in the back of the SUV is my idea of being able to cook well, away from home. Thanks for the direction but I'll open the box like ckreef  and just turn a few screws

• Like 1