alimac23

Two new toys today!

I received two news items today that I’ve been waiting for.

The first is the new Maverick XR50, opened it up and went to install the batteries and there was no battery cover for the receiver, phoned the local guy I bought it from and I’ve had to send it back, looks like it was an error in the factory, Doh!

d0384cc8f24d98281bfc5a04f6fb0d3a.jpg

The second arrived in perfect condition, a new Nakiri knife, Japanese blue steel #2 sandwiched between stainless, razor sharp right out of the box, I love the hammered pattern on the blade.

07c7b19119c8f936a5d3efb44bf92aac.jpg

1597b08e4c93d86dd21ccbfd25c4c677.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Who’s the knife manufacturer? I’ve been down the knife rabbit hole, and my curiosity never ends.

This one is a JCK own brand, made in Seki city, here’s the link to the blurb:

https://japanesechefsknife.com/collections/nakiri-1/products/jck-natures-blue-moon-series-nakiri-165mm

Very nice knife, indeed. I like Japanese style knives. Still waiting on my 2 Japanese knives from my Kickstarter campaign that were supposed to be delivered last Christmas! 

Don't fret on the Maverick. They have great customer service. I got one of the original ones that had the battery drain problem. They sent me an entirely new set of transmitter/receiver and probes for free and I got to keep the old one as a spare! 

8 hours ago, tony b said:

Plan to give my new Maverick XR-50 it's first workout this holiday weekend. Will be using 3 probes on the cook. 

Hey Tony, are you going to be using yours over any sort of distance? 

The reason i ask is that i done a trial run last night and had the unit hanging off the side of the KK, i then took the receiver into my bedroom which is about 30 meters away with 2 walls in between and it lost connection. I'm going to try it tonight with the sender sitting on a table pointing in the direction of my room rather than away from it and behind the KK to see if it will go that far, if it wont then i'll be seriously disappointed with it as it quotes a 500ft range.

I am planning on using mine tomorrow. I will let you know how it turns out. 

Thanks mate, I’d be interested to see how yours behaves, I’m absolutely certain that my unit is defective as the connection kept being lost when it was literally less than 10 feet away, and no obstruction other than glass.

Sounds like it. Contact them and see what they say.

I used mine tonight without any transmission issues, but my receiver was in my kitchen only about 10ft away from the KK. One thing that I did notice for the first time tonight, if you use one of the designated "pit probes" for a meat cook, you can't set the alarm for the desired cook temperature, as the lowest allowed setting is above 210F. Just a "work around" as I just didn't set the alarm on that probe and just monitored the temperature directly. 

Now that's a knife Alimac.

These are my 2 favourites

One's Aogami Steel and the other is Blue Steel.

I've been through every kind of sharpener and have to say that none beat the good old fashioned wet stone. 1000 grit, 3,000 grit, and an 8,000 grit.

The 8000 is overkill and not really required....... but it's fun slicing with a polished blade.knives.thumb.jpg.5034d97a918b17cf1ae14acd413f4465.jpg

• Like 1

Now that's a knife Alimac.
These are my 2 favourites
One's Aogami Steel and the other is Blue Steel.
I've been through every kind of sharpener and have to say that none beat the good old fashioned wet stone. 1000 grit, 3,000 grit, and an 8,000 grit.
The 8000 is overkill and not really required....... but it's fun slicing with a polished blade.knives.thumb.jpg.5034d97a918b17cf1ae14acd413f4465.jpg

Beautiful knives!

I’m with you on the whetstones. I’ve got 400, 1000, 2000 and 5000 grit stones and they come up razor sharp every time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serious looking units. Not for removing the silver skin unless you have some Jedi skills. Great patina, simple handles...a definite sleeper at first glance but once in hand I'm sure they rise to the occasion around any cutting board. Touche'