ckreef

Fogo 15% off this weekend.

1. Rockwood Premium All-Natural Lump Charcoal
  2. Fogo Marabu Hardwood Lump Charcoal 33-pound Bag (Cuba)

3. Fogo Argentinean Quebracho Blend 35-pound Hardwood Lump Charcoal Bag (Argentina)

4. Fogo 35-pound Super Premium Hardwood Lump Charcoal

After the coffee lump charcoal from Dennis became unavailable, I've tried the above four premium lump charcoals.

#4 is the clear winner for me. Large pieces, easiest to light (weed burner then Milwaukee M18 FUEL Blower), fewest sparks. Not as dense as #2 or #3.

Best of all, #4 has our favorite flavor. Subtle but distinct. In the last few nights, we've had both cod and pork chops in Moroccan red chermoula, both times leaving us in tears wanting more. I grill on the lower grate, using the basket splitter which will surely pay for itself in premium charcoal savings.

To be sure, we each have different smoke preferences. I devised the Dutch oven smoke pot many years ago; we're pretty sensitive to off flavors. I can swear that I pick up faint notes of chlorine in #2, less so in #3, but I'm alone here. #2 and #3 are also rather sparky, though I'd put up with this if I loved their flavors.

#1 is dirtier / more flavor, depending on your perspective. A friend loves it; he's a great cook but I believe that his Weber work has too many off flavors from out-of-control combustion byproducts.

I've tried number one a few times. Left a gray film all over the inside of my kamado. Won't use that again. 

Number two is really hard and can be hard to light. Very sparky. With that said it's the only lump I'll use in my Konro grill but I wouldn't use it in a kamado. 

Haven't tried number three. 

I buy the premium black bag. It's supposed to be the same as number four just smaller pieces. I like the smaller pieces better but all my kamados are smaller kamados. 

Thanks Charles!   I just purchased a couple to try.  I got one of the black bags and one of number four.  I have tried number three, but I swear it seems to give off an ammonia smell to me.   I’ve been using Rockwood, but my latest order was not the same quality I’ve had previously.   

• Like 1

One of the main reasons that I stopped using Fogo - the pieces are too damn big! Plus it's hard to light and sparks like fireworks going off. 

I'm OK with the Rockwood, as I can get it locally. Haven't notice the white film. 

Just tried my first bag of Jealous Devil. I'm liking it. Good sized pieces, easy to light, burns slow and a pleasant flavor. It's also a Quebracho wood charcoal. Available on Amazon. 

59 minutes ago, tony b said:

One of the main reasons that I stopped using Fogo - the pieces are too damn big! Plus it's hard to light and sparks like fireworks going off. 

You were buying the Super Premium. Much bigger pieces. I buy the Black Bag. Definitely the right sized pieces. It does spark a bit when lighting with a MAPP torch but I can get any lump to spark with a MAPP torch. Once lit it settles down. 

8 hours ago, JDBBQ said:

Also have some Big Green Egg that local supermarket was selling at great price.  It seems fine.  Lights fast

BGE is rebranded RO but I believe they get first pick on the lump so the pieces should be better than your average red bag of RO. I used RO for a long time and never had any problems with it except the size distribution was sketchy at best. 

It would be worth a try but I sort of question the trimming of mangrove bushes. Mangroves are what keeps islands and coast lines together. Without mangroves an island would wash away. That is why there are very strict rules in FL regarding mangroves. I don't know about Thailand but this seems like something that could be abused to the detriment of the the people who have to live with the after effects. 

OK let me get off my semi political soapbox. 

I’m torn. I live right near a huge warehouse/depot of Lazzari Wood and Fuel. I get a 40# bag of oak or mesquite lump for $16. I’m wondering how much cleaner burning the FOGO is for the extra expense.

They are used mostly by foodservice places in the Bay Area. I use the mesquite for only really short cooks like pizzas and the oak for longer cooks. I find the oak imparts too much of a smoky flavor but so far I haven’t found any cleaner burning except for Dennis’ Coco char.

Does anyone else find that during their really long cooks that some of the food gets too smoky on the flavor?

I wish Dennis could get us pallets of coco again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/3/2018 at 2:08 AM, sfdrew28 said:

I’m torn. I live right near a huge warehouse/depot of Lazzari Wood and Fuel.

The warehouse by SFO? I love how "Mad Max" that bombed out building looks. Hey, they manage to keep the charcoal dry.

Mesquite is indeed popular in the west. My wife finds its use completely discrediting, discussing friends' charcoal tastes.

I used to buy the Lazzari oak lump. Acceptable flavor; the coffee charcoal from Dennis was night and day better, we were prepared to ignore the expense and just buy a pallet. Then he couldn't ship it. I pick up off notes in the Lazzari oak lump even for 500F chicken, though I'd use it for pizza. Dirtier than the #1 Rockford. Poor quality size distribution, I'd waste enough of each bag that I considered saving the crumble to make a return once I filled an entire bag. Never did.

FOGO is free shipping. See if you can tell the difference? People drink more than one wine; stock more than one charcoal.

Edited by Syzygies