ckreef

Surf and Turf Konro Style

It's been a "Lord of the Flies" summer. It's finally cooled down a slight bit (85*) and the flies have disappeared. Time to crank up the Konro (especially after all the Marabu talk). 

On the menu tonight:

Sashimi grade tuna, 

First cut NY strip steaks, 

U5 shrimp (the way shrimp is supposed to be), 

Zucchini, 

Pineapple, 

Lettuce salad w/ Japanese Ginger Dressing, 

Rice, and finally 

Honey, Ginseng green tea. 

The main lineup 

stk1.thumb.jpg.ddfba2916382c9d86d932918e4a168a6.jpg

Everything dressed or marinated

stk2.thumb.jpg.da5f51a521fe942e5e747072337d0069.jpg

stk3.thumb.jpg.8ed33e0d26db023b64cb73dc509a2b1b.jpg

stk4.thumb.jpg.53f1328400366bef5abe2d75af840ec7.jpg

Marabu lump almost ready to go

stk5.thumb.jpg.a77c479117443581355c84bbdc1abb18.jpg

A few action shots. The tuna was the star of the show. I wasn't sure how that was going to work on the Knoro the way I did it. Came out perfect. I stopped paying attention for a minute and slightly over cooked my NY strip. (md not md rare). I only have myself to blame as everyone cooked their own food. Anyway all around a killer meal. 

stk6.thumb.jpg.4e21c9215b779f4764eecd9ef1c5898a.jpg

stk7.thumb.jpg.eaf04c038e14d5ad1d075d2376307ed9.jpg

stk8.thumb.jpg.09745570f2271edf0dc18220711175ec.jpg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

CK, I know you set your grill into a table do you have pixs that you can show how you did that? I am looking for tips. :) 

That was actually way easier than I thought it would be. Give me a day or two when I get home from work earlier and I'll show you the skinny. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Oh boy what a nice looking dinner looks very yummy. Question what are U5 shrimp? Does that mean 5 shrimp to a pound? I am always amazed at all the wonderful food and meals cooked on this site. 

Yes 5 shrimp to a lb. I love the super large shrimp. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tony b said:

Can't get U5 here; have to settle for the "colossal" size =  10 - 12/lb. They're still pretty big, great for skewers/yakitori, as they are not so easy to overcook on a very hot grill. 

I can only get the U5/6 every so often. This summer Fresh Market has had them all summer and only $12.99 per lb. I usually go for the colossal. They're still big enough to stuff. 

Interestingly last summer small lobster Tails were on sale the entire summer $5 per tail (we ate a lot of lobster tails). This summer $7-$8 per tail.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, tony b said:

I'd still be pouncing on them at $7 (assuming they're at least 6 oz). 

He said "Fresh Market." I'm still in mourning that we lost ours and it's coming up on 2 year ago now! :smt088

Fresh Market is where they have the U5/6 shrimp. Most everything in there is super high dollar but those shrimp are a reasonable price. I don't shop at Fresh Market often as my wallet cries every time I do but it is the bomb of high end grocery stores.. 

Sorry to hear yours closed. 

Edited by ckreef