ckreef

Konro Table Cutout

@MacKenzie the pictures you wanted.

My table is made out of 2x6's and I had this table long before I had the Konro. The cutout hole itself gives about 1 1/2" of clearance on all sides. That was a little too much and if I did it again I would only have 3/4"-1" clearance on all sides. Just make sure you account for the handles on the ends. 

Installing it the way I did left the Konro sitting just shy of 1 1/4" above the table. For me that was the perfect height. 

cutout1.thumb.jpg.6f21fb18f6c75ed406cc5340f69eed3e.jpg

After making the cutout I installed 2x6's on each end on the underside of the table. 

cutout2.thumb.jpg.27298b37ad136f12cb89a1ad224f52f3.jpg

I then used two 2x6's to span the length with a gap in the middle. The gap was mainly to give me more width on those boards so any ash that falls out the vent falls on the 2x6's not on the floor. Obviously you don't want to box in the long sides because you want to be able to reach under there and change the vents although I basically run mine with the vents wide open. 

cutout3.thumb.jpg.c3f1d1d8ca4ac58b9cdd69ddc3735d4c.jpg

As a disclaimer: I'm not a carpenter. I have enough skills and tools to get by but that's about it. My goal eventually is to get the hole lined in SS and have a SS top that slips down over the Konro. Currently I have a cardboard top which works but looks like crap. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thank you very much, Charles. :smt003 It is too bad the grill was not prettier. Yes, I'd like to have the bin metal lined also. :smt023:smt023

Right now I put a aluminium foil over the top when I'm done cooking. It is just a rectangle of foil that I made by folding up several layers of foil and then I put the grates on top to keep it there. 

Edited by MacKenzie

8 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Thank you very much, Charles. :smt003 It is too bad the grill was not prettier. Yes, I'd like to have the bin metal lined also. :smt023:smt023

Right now I put a aluminium foil over the top when I'm done cooking. It is just a rectangle of foil that I made by folding up several layers of foil and then I put the grates on top to keep it there. 

Your foil top sounds like my cardboard top. There's a member on Guru that makes custom SS tables for kamados. He does other custom jobs and he's not overly expensive. As soon as my current indoor project (almost done) is over I'm going to contact him. I'll post up the details when they happen. With you in Canada you'd probably have to find someone north of the boarder. 

8 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

Thanks, ck. I have asked my carpenter to come a week from Fri so we can work on the table. Not sure this is going to happen then but....it might.

I'm sure if you have a carpenter he could make the cutout and line it with finish wood to look awesome. Just leave 3/4"-1" gap all around for heat issues as these can get really hot if you get it rocking. He could also make a matching top. 

Me and Mrs skreef are off all next week to work on the indoor project. I might try a wood finish on the Konro. If it looks like crap I can always fall back on the SS idea. 

Who knows, we'll see what next week brings. 

• Like 1

I'm sure if you have a carpenter he could make the cutout and line it with finish wood to look awesome. Just leave 3/4"-1" gap all around for heat issues as these can get really hot if you get it rocking. He could also make a matching top. 

Me and Mrs skreef are off all next week to work on the indoor project. I might try a wood finish on the Konro. If it looks like crap I can always fall back on the SS idea. 

Who knows, we'll see what next week brings. 

It is too bad that it is not finished like the KK.
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

I'm sure this is all good with a gap for the heat and the unit is insulated .but may I suggest getting a galvanized box made up for it to sit in the table. For piece of mind lol

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

Um No - LOL 

Couldn't be a box as you wouldn't be able to get to the vents. No issues with heat and the gap I have. If I did it over I would have a smaller gap and still not worry. 

My only real suggestion would be to put a small piece of fireproof mat on the bottom 2x6's just in case a small piece of lump somehow fell out of one of the vents. 

But this isn't a grill you leave unattended. 

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 1

Um No - LOL 
Couldn't be a box as you wouldn't be able to get to the vents. No issues with heat and the gap I have. If I did it over I would have a smaller gap and still not worry. 
My only real suggestion would be to put a small piece of fireproof mat on the bottom 2x6's just in case a small piece of lump somehow fell out of one of the vents. 
But this isn't a grill you leave unattended. 

Yeah for sure was thinking about the vents later after I posted lol

Outback kamado Bar and Grill