Pequod

Fresh Milled Fun

17 hours ago, Pequod said:

Next week I’ll begin experimenting with a higher proportion of spelt and rye, and also replace about half of the bread flour with high extraction hard red wheat.

1272340787_MichelSuas.thumb.jpg.07bcd72776ece7e2120d18ea98850688.jpg

Some people have trouble with reduced rise, using freshly ground flour. This problem is poorly understood by most writers, but understood by professionals. The issue is "green flour"; flour needs to age, but we want to grind fresh and not have the germ go rancid. Michel Suas has the most complete answer: Add 30 to 40 parts per million ascorbic acid. How? Mix AA 1:20 with white flour, sieve multiple times to mix completely, then mix some of that mixture 1:20 with white flour. One now has a 1:440 blend one can measure with a gram scale. This solved all sorts of problems for me.

I also found rather noticeable variation in different sources of whole grains. Keep notes, and be sure to experiment. The flavor of adding a "guest grain" in moderation can also be a remarkable change. We don't drink the same wine all the time? Variation in bread grain is also good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Syzygies - thanks for your tips in this and other posts. Thus far I've managed up to about 60% whole grains (the rest being Giusto's Artisan) without need for add-ins to compensate. I have a bottle of ascorbic acid on hand just in case my luck changes. Have been pretty successful with flavor and dough "management" (for lack of a better term) whilst using combos of hard red wheat, spelt, and rye. These form the basis of my "go-to" breads so far. I also have a bag of Einkorn that came with my Mockmill. Haven't quite figured out what to do with that yet...

Anyone have a good Einkorn recipe hanging around? Maybe I'll check at Wegman's...

I love Einkorn too.  Happily, the nice lady at our farmer's market appears with it once a month and I get to eat it without having to do any work, other than that required to get the money to pay her.  Loving these posts even though I am a long way from finding the time to get into bread again.

My new toy. Picked up a folding Brod & Taylor proofer. Maintains a humid environment at precise temps for proofing dough. Here it is in action doing what it does best: proofing. This will become English Muffins for tomorrow's breakfast.

A completely frivolous purchase, but what the hey.

IMG_20181019_140012.thumb.jpg.f785c09b3b8970857240557b012ca227.jpg

IMG_20181019_140020.thumb.jpg.967a93507b4c3792a4e4684a728af9a1.jpg

• Like 3

This loaf was done in a Lodge combo cooker in the oven as I’m tweaking too many variables already — new proofer, different ratios of spelt and rye, hydration, etc. Next weekend I’ll take it to the KK and use @Syzygies steam oven technique. The fall leaves should make a nice backdrop too.

Properly scored bread will have pronounced ears, but will it listen? :huh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3