Wahoo

Spatchcock Chicken on my SBB

Just figuring my new Toy out trying different stuff . Only a week in cooked on it every night .

Just thought if I can get to grips with these Vents and control the temp in this thing that’s good progress !

Tried a couple of nice Chickens tonight , was late back from work and extremely hungry .

Turned out absolutely perfect , cooked these Birds at 450-500 deg . Juicy succulent white flesh and a beautiful crispy skin .

In the past I’ve used my Rotisserie on my Weber to great success but cooking hotter and faster gives you something totally different .

Cooking on the top level I found I didn’t need the Rotisserie just flipped these beauties at 15 mins a side , quick flash with peri peri and they were ready to serve .

I’m Looking for a nice Chinese Pork recipe for the W/e if anyone has one they can recommend .

Would appreciate any ideas ,

Nite all

Wahoo !

42UKchick.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Pretty big rig there.  Nice setting and all seems to be in control...what else can you ask for. Watch the burn in

Was wondering about the Burn in . I’ve read a fair bit on here from owners on what to expect , to be honest I’ve had this up to 550 on 3 occasions now and I’ve checked my tiles , not noticing any action .

I’m waiting to get the temp higher which I will do this w/e 🤯.

I have definitely not witnessed any solvent or tile movement so far anyway . Suppose the inevitable happens at 550 +

I’d Welcome any tips Guys / Gals , keep me on the right path !

Wahoo.

When it is up to temp around 500 or higher, it may take a while to see anything. The usual areas will be near the firebox or slightly above and the dome area. Push on those areas to see if they are "soft". You may also see some white residue around the tiles. Some people here have posted that had nothing or very little and maybe yours is one of them. Taking it to higher temps will tell for sure.

In the meantime, looks like you've got this. Some good looking chickens.

17 hours ago, Wahoo said:

Cooking on the top level I found I didn’t need the Rotisserie just flipped these beauties at 15 mins a side , quick flash with peri peri and they were ready to serve .

I’m Looking for a nice Chinese Pork recipe for the W/e if anyone has one they can recommend emoji848.png.

Nice reminder... will try some spatchcock chicken on the top rack tonight.  Have you decided on your weekend cook?  Char siu pork could be good.

9 hours ago, Wahoo said:

Was wondering about the Burn in emoji848.png

I’d Welcome any tips Guys / Gals , keep me on the right path !

The Husband had a thing about tapping the tiles with a wooden mallet during the burn-in - he said the lifted/lifting tiles made a different sound.  I couldn't really tell.  Two tips I am sure about:  make sure you have strong lighting or a torch in case the burn-in extends into the night and keep wiping as you go along to avoid stubborn white streaks that are harder to get off at a later date.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Process on my 23 took quite a long time (5 or 6 hours as I recall) and I was unprepared.  Firebox level and just above were the first areas affected.  Didn't notice the venting until I smelled the escaping vapors.  It is a distinctly inorganic smell that you cannot miss.  once you detect that smell, you need to start looking for vents which have formed between the grout and the stones.  you will see some bulging tiles at those areas.  Just keep smoothing them down and wiping up the white residue.  I believe Dennis published a note about the proper method to manage this process and the expectation was that you should start early enough in the day so that you don't have to stay up all night.  It can take a number of hours once you get heat soaked to complete the process.

check out Page 17 of the attached KK Manual from years back

KomodoKamadoUser'sManual 2-2-12.pdf

Process on my 23 took quite a long time (5 or 6 hours as I recall) and I was unprepared.  Firebox level and just above were the first areas affected.  Didn't notice the venting until I smelled the escaping vapors.  It is a distinctly inorganic smell that you cannot miss.  once you detect that smell, you need to start looking for vents which have formed between the grout and the stones.  you will see some bulging tiles at those areas.  Just keep smoothing them down and wiping up the white residue.  I believe Dennis published a note about the proper method to manage this process and the expectation was that you should start early enough in the day so that you don't have to stay up all night.  It can take a number of hours once you get heat soaked to complete the process.

check out Page 17 of the attached KK Manual from years back
KomodoKamadoUser'sManual 2-2-12.pdf

Thanks Lannoos , that’s helpful , I’m struggling however to open this manual 🤨.
My plan is to get her up to 650 tomorrow and have my degreaser and cloth ready .

I did hear Dennis say that the Pebble Tiles vent more than the Square since there is obviously much more fill in Glue with them ? Makes sense anyway ...

Wahoo .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When it is up to temp around 500 or higher, it may take a while to see anything. The usual areas will be near the firebox or slightly above and the dome area. Push on those areas to see if they are "soft". You may also see some white residue around the tiles. Some people here have posted that had nothing or very little and maybe yours is one of them. Taking it to higher temps will tell for sure.
In the meantime, looks like you've got this. Some good looking chickens.

Thanks Steve , gonna have a good go at this Cook in tomorrow early doors

• Like 1

Love this shot.. I usually roast my chickens on the upper grate to take advantage of the heat that radiates off the ceiling for browning.

Would you also please remember to take your shots at the end of your cook rather than the beginning as a nicely browned up bird is more appetizing than a raw uncooked one and gets much more likes on Instagram.. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Follow the instructions and you'll be just fine. Don't go screaming up to 650F right away. Start at 500F and let the grill heat soak for at least an hour, then ramp up 50F every 30 minutes until you start to smell the solvent. Then stop raising the temperature at that point and start watching for the lifting tiles. Besides having a wet sponge handy to wipe off the white residue, have a safety pin (or similar pointy object) handy to poke small holes in the grout by the lifting tiles, to help release the steam build up. Last words - be careful, as the outside of the KK will be quite hot during this process (that's how it works - you have to get it heated all the way through to the grout to vent the solvent.) And, yes, pebble tiles seem to vent more than square ones, based upon others' experience posted here.