Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
EGGARY

Can't get the Temp down to 250-

I must be doing something wrong.  I try to get the temp between 220 - 250 and for some reason the temp seems to go beyond 300.  I have had my 23" for 6 years and the 32" for almost 2 years.  I would use the Lower Dial that has the various holes.  I would usually use either the middle hole or the smaller hole next to the middle hole.  I would open the Upper Vent about 1/4.  The Temp wouldbe in the 200's but as time goes on the temp seems to go up past 300+.  If I am using the other Lower Vent, I open to the first notch.  I have noticed at times when the Top Lid is open the Upper Vent will move.

There was a fix for keeping the upper vent it place. It was suggested by Dennis and the fix was to use one of those springs that is in some toilet paper holders.

For low temps forget the lower holes.. if the air is not leaving the chimney it's not going thru the charcoal. If you are getting too hot, make sure you are only lighting a tennis ball to begin with and then choke back the chimney.. 

It Always comes back to airflow.. 
If it's too hot.. too much air.
Not hot enough.. needs more..

3 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

There was a fix for keeping the upper vent it place. It was suggested by Dennis and the fix was to use one of those springs that is in some toilet paper holders.

I was one of the first to spot this vent movement and Dennis came up with the spring idea. I just replaced the spring on mine after several years of use from the original one. They are very cheap at your local Lowes or Home Depot. 

Yeah I have a spring in my upper vent too so that it doesn't move when you open and close the dome. . But either way, everytime you open and close the dome just make sure the top vent is set to no more 1/4 turn once you close the dome. 

I don't know about a 32 but on my 23, setting the top at 1/4 would certainly be in the 300° range as the charcoal burns (depending upon which charcoal is being used). For temps in the 225° - 250° area, 1/8 open (with the lower right dial at the smallest hole - pencil lead size) is plenty.

I do have to watch the dome turning when opening and be sure to recheck the dome setting. I know about the spring modification and have saved a copy of ckreef's procedure, but just haven't done it yet. Maybe this Fall...

Yeah, it doesn't include the time for the trip to the hardware store to get the springs. 

• Haha 1

Don’t start too much charcoal. Fill the charcoal basket and put one Weber starter cube on the top of the pile. Leave the lid open until about a fist sized amount of coals are lit, then close the lid. Barely crack the top vent so only a little smoke is coming out. That’ll get you in the 200’s. ANYWHERE in the 200’s will get you low and slow don’t sweat an exact 225!