Gnomatic

Meater Block

Three years after the Kickstarter, my four probe Meater Block is finally on a FedEx truck on its way to me.  Apption Labs certainly had their challenges bringing this product to market.  The wait was long, but at the end of the day, I hope they got the kinks worked out and this thing functions as expected.

Now to decide what my first cook should be to try out my new device ......

I'll be posting my impressions here when my unit arrives next week.

• Like 2

I'd give it a test spin - literally, with a rotisserie cook, as it's the only device out there that you can use for it! 

I got their notification that they've upgraded the single probe units with Bluetooth in the charging stand that acts like a repeater, to extend the range to the app on your phone. I reached out to them and asked if we could just buy the upgraded block without having to buy the entire kit (which they were offering a discount on), but they said not at this time. I passed, as I didn't need another probe, and just wanted to swap out the charger station. Hopefully they'll let us original Kickstarter backers upgrade without buying a whole new setup after the initial campaign is over. 

14 hours ago, ckreef said:

I'm still not holding my breath.

Tee hee.  You'd better not have been holding your breath.  You would have expired by now!  It's been much more fun watching you let off steam every time the word b---k was mentioned.  I do hope they work out for you.  I have really enjoyed having single MEATER thermometer.  My brother paid for a block for me last Christmas.  Assuming I won't get it until sometime next year now, after the backers' orders have all been satisfied.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tekobo said:

Tee hee.  You'd better not have been holding your breath.  You would have expired by now!  It's been much more fun watching you let off steam every time the word b---k was mentioned.  I do hope they work out for you.  I have really enjoyed having single MEATER thermometer.  My brother paid for a block for me last Christmas.  Assuming I won't get it until sometime next year now, after the backers' orders have all been satisfied.  

Not sure if I'm done blowing off steam yet. We'll have to wait until we see how well it works and even then I really have nothing good to say about how they ran their kickstarter. It was always fun watching Temu jetset around the world world on my dime. 

It really doesn't take much to set me off with regards to this subject - LOL 

• Haha 2

I guess that I'm just a slow learner, as I just joined 2 new Kickstarter campaigns yesterday! :doh:

I've had mixed success with those that I've backed to date - a couple fizzled out/crashed & burned; a few delivered the final product, but I wasn't exactly thrilled with it once I had it; several delivered a product eventually that I actually think is a good product; and I'm still patiently waiting on several more that are typically waaaay behind schedule. Despite the exceeding long schedule for the MEATER, at least I can say that I'm happy with the final product, once they delivered. YMMV

This was my first experience with Kickstarter.  Knowing the timelines they were putting out there were "hopes and dreams" at best, I felt I was risking saying goodbye to my $169 for my Meater Block.  But I did it anyway.

That said, it has taken them along time to get products up to snuff to ship.  On the Block especially, they went through many more issues than they foresaw.   The way the company executed their business left much to be desired.  But at the end of the day, I still want the product I signed up for.  And if it performs as advertised, I'll be pleased to have it as a tool in my cooking arsenal.

I went with the Block because I wanted the wifi connectivity.  I will find out soon if it works  as hoped, or is just another techy headache.  Fingers crossed!

• Like 2

My Meater + units arrived yesterday. Two individually boxed units. I opened one of the units and left the other unit intact. After charging the probe I gave it a quick test. I put the probe in the KK and the Meater + charger/repeater on the grill table. I was able to get a good signal in the kitchen which is what I need. That's about as deep in the house as it would go but the kitchen is an acceptable range for my use. I'll do a rotisserie cook this weekend to get a real world test. 

• Like 5