tekobo

Recipes for Chilli Sauces Please!!!

I have a good crop of chillis this year.  Not a huge number of chillis but given some of them are Carolina Reaper, Jamaican 7 Pot and Bhut Jolokia, I won't be needing very many to make a few blow your head off sauces.  

I have a number of go-to recipes but would like to try some new ones this year.  Grateful for your favourite recipes so that I can try them out.  Here is a mix of the ones I have used over the years:

http://www.thegingercook.com/2010/09/homemade-sriracha-sauce.html - reliable and tasty sriracha sauce recipe

http://www.firehousechilli.com/firehousechilliweb1_116.htm - I have only made this one once and cannot remember which I preferred, this one or the next.  Guess I will just have to try again.  

http://jeanetteshealthyliving.com/homemade-ghost-chile-hot-sauce/

http://www.wanderingspice.com/2013/05/20/tomato-and-preserved-lemon-kasundi/ - awesome tomato and lemon preserve, goes with everything.  The chilli is incidental but good.  

https://www.chilliworld.com/factfile/chilli-sauce-recipes/belizean-habanero-sauce - a nice gentle, go to chilli sauce.  I seem to remember having to reduce the liquid with this recipe.  

• Like 1

You know me and my homemade hot sauces. I have 2 batches of chiles this year - yellow aji and something called "red dragon," which aren't that hot (so I plan to add a couple of Carolina Reepers to that batch to kick it up to where it needs to be.)

I do fermented style sauces, ala Tabasco. It's just about the same amount of work as your recipes, just disjointed in time by several weeks. I've attached the instructions that I follow in making mine. This is a basic hot sauce, you can easily add garlic, carrots, herbs, etc. to the mash before fermentation. I also like to add Xanthan gum to mine with the vinegar to thicken up the consistency and to keep it from separating as it settles. I've experimented with several kinds of vinegar and have settled on Rice Vinegar, but experiment with other types - wine, apple cider, balsamic, etc. to see what you like best. This is last year's batches.

994753445_HotSauce2017-2.thumb.jpg.01e4ee5a3ff530804e349ef5925d4120.jpg

Can't wait to hear what you all do and how it turns out. I'm probably a couple of weeks away from making my batches this year, as there are still a few peppers left on the plants that I hope to harvest before our 1st hard freeze (likely this coming week.)

fermented hot sauce.pdf

• Like 4

14 hours ago, tony b said:

I do fermented style sauces, ala Tabasco.

Thanks Tony.  I haven't ever done a fermented style sauce.  Will give that a go.  I think I will harvest over the next couple of weeks so would be grateful for more recipes if anyone else on the site makes hot sauces.  One variation that has been good has been to slice and dehydrate some peppers.  They come in handy for making a hot powder during the year and seem to keep their heat better for not having been ground straight away.  

Last week I made a few jars of lemon kasundi, using a couple of 7 pot chillis.  This weekend I made this lot:

11606295_wJdpHe2eTFjxXDHrEEi7w.thumb.jpg.f3629448a991675ab09b38099546ec41.jpg

The two on the left are the start of Louisiana style sauces per @tony b's recipe.  I am on the road this week and thought of bring them with me in the car to do the checking for mould but I thought that would be a step too far.  The ghost chile hot sauce recipe contained enough tomatoes and sugar to soften the super hot chocolate bhutlah and bhut jolokia peppers.  A nice soft heat results.  I used the Jamaican hot peppers in the Belizian sauce.  Looking forward to breaking into these over the winter.  Still have quite a few very hot bhut jolokia peppers left.  Will dry some but am still on the look out for a good recipe. 

• Like 4

:smt041

Nice lot of hot sauce bottles you have there, Tekobo! Envious! That nice yellow Jamaican/Belize reminds me of a sauce that I buy from Barbados - Lottie's. It's awesome on fried chicken, as a dipping sauce!

Don't sweat the mold, it's just part of the process, just scrape it off when you notice it, no worries about being Johnny on the spot with it. 

I picked up a cheap bottle of Moscato today in preps for doing my batches. I still have a few peppers on the plants that I'm waiting on to ripen first. I did move the plants indoors a few days ago, as our nighttime temps have occasionally dipped below freezing. Hopefully I get them going in another couple of days. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tony b said:

Don't sweat the mold, it's just part of the process, just scrape it off when you notice it, no worries about being Johnny on the spot with it. 

Thanks, that is helpful to know Tony.  I too have a batch of chillis left on the plants but am not sure if they will ripen before the winter sets in.  Down to freezing here overnight last night.  Good luck!

Well, I finally got around to starting this year's batches of hot sauce today. Let the magic begin!

1695239031_2018HotSauce.thumb.jpg.e995a4dec4254bc380b342f80398502b.jpg

Red one on the left is Red Dragon peppers, which aren't very hot, so I tossed in a couple of Carolina Reapers that my neighbor grew to kick things up a bit. The yellow one on the right is Aji peppers - nice fruity/citrusy flavor with moderate heat. We'll see how they turn out in a few weeks. 

• Like 3

Hmmm. Those sauces look good @tony b!  Looking forward to seeing how they turn out.  Here I am finding that the sauces that I have made are not as hot as I would (sometimes) like.  Going to do a bit more experimenting.  Also need to decide which chillis to grow next year.  Out and out heat is not the deal.  I am liking the Seven Pot chilli, it is hot enough for seven pots of food and has a nice rounded flavour.  Winter was invented for such dreaming.  

• Thanks 1