tekobo

Bottling Summer

I had beginner's luck with growing peppers on our allotment for the first time this year.  We had an amazing summer and I harvested boxes and boxes of peppers and other good stuff from our new square foot gardening plot.  This was last weekend's harvest, radiating happiness on a dismal, rainy day in October. 

cKxjd7sfTNafYtnz2RTGJg.thumb.jpg.6347e3df93809e9d5187af0310e863b9.jpg

I love peppers and have previously made up Thomas Keller's pepperonata recipe and froze batches for use through the winter.  This year I decided to try this April Bloomfield recipe https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/apr/04/six-of-the-best-spring-side-dishes.  I liked the results so much I have made the recipe three times so far this season.  Here's the latest version.  I never actually follow the recipe strictly but the concept is great and will sustain us through the winter.  

Peppers onto the lower grate of a hot KK.  I think it was about 250C.  First time I did this I kept the peppers in for about 35 -40 minutes, turning three times.  Bad idea, the flesh got too dehydrated and I had a job to get the skin off.  This time I left them in for just 25-35 minutes, taking the smaller ones off early.

3e14a1eRT8my4KFLOMVEMw.thumb.jpg.093d156da97b0a801533ecd1ee0eac89.jpg

Part way through

fullsizeoutput_1065.thumb.jpeg.5c219aa184349b3c2db61a61c43fca64.jpeg

Into a bowl for about 10-15 minutes to make it easier to separate the skins.  This time I also took out the seeds and stalks BEFORE grilling.  Made them easier to peel and saved me the messy task of trying to get the seeds out cleanly from the hot soft mess that came out of the grill!

0hfYFTzQTSOmtzOvTJ40hg.thumb.jpg.ed4b61598de0b8f4cb191edd6d6fe909.jpg

Here are the tomatoes, roasted in the IDK oven because I didn't quite get the KK timing right. 

fullsizeoutput_1068.thumb.jpeg.8b93c1bdc8d917503455ab39d4aa0609.jpeg

And best of all, bottled and sealed, ready to dispense summer's delights whenever I want.  They are sealed but I also store them in the fridge to be extra sure they will last. 

1135219819_qwJd7n0TJeYTUip9S6Wrg.thumb.jpg.a2c81de24cde25c561cbc905e9b0e5ad.jpg

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 5

Thanks all, very kind.  I love the allotment.  It would be great if I could work in an office in the winter and take a sabbatical every summer to play with seeds and soil. I did that this year but won't get the opportunity to repeat for a while and retirement is a way off yet.  You retirees don't know how jealous I am of you.

Hey @Tyrus, my team isn't doing quite so well this year.  Any ideas about a mid to late season bet that we could enter into?  Getting low on rub here.  :toothy7:

I'm not sure Tekebo. Still have trouble sitting down from getting burned on my backside after that game. Aside from that, all I can say is...it's a long season, don't throw the towel in yet. Speaking of rub, is there a shortage in merry ol England or are the American rubs just that good. Be in your neighborhood in a couple of weeks on an island called Ireland, you can reach me at the Guinness brewery breaking all the rules or some town pub enjoying the local faire. As they say,.... in heaven there is no beer that's why we drink it here and when were gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer.  Keep on cookin 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Gotta agree Mac but you know for some strange reason it tastes so much better there. My first taste was in Killarney and the barkeep poured a little and then walked off, he returned and repeated the same and then walked away again, leaving me wondering.  Come to find out it's all part of the process and so I travel to Dublin to partake in the ritual again. Nicccce pic

• Like 1

The Husband loves Guinness and agrees that it tastes better in Ireland.  Don't just go to the brewery, he had great fun in pubs when we did a driving tour.  The Irish are so welcoming.  In one visit he was quizzed about his football team (no controversy there, he follows rugby) and was given a nickname and on his second visit to another pub the barman was already pouring his Guinness out as he approached the bar.  I've always said that I've enjoyed being Nigerian but next time around I would like to see what it is like being Irish or Italian.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hey Tekobo, your husband musta made an impression there to be greeted so kindly,  a welcoming to say the least.  Geez, reincarnation...who knows...Italian or Irish there all good but I like yah just the way u r. Toney have a great time watchin the pour and take Bruce with ya, he needs to get out for a few. Adios

• Thanks 1

Bruce, that reminds me of another story. I was in Belgium in the summer and it was hot hot hot, a friend and I went to a cafe to get a cold drink. I asked for a coke, although I really wanted a Pepsi, then I said, "Is it warm?" She responded with, "Don't be silly, it's not warm." When I the drink arrived, I took one sip, yikes,  it was warm, revoltingly so on such a hot day. I then realized that when you ask is it warm, they think you mean is it heated. I'll never forget that drink. :pukeright::shock:

• Haha 2