orthopod

22 Table Top: Charcoal Clean Out

I remove the ash basket and go in from the top. I have a small sweepy brush and a small dust pan type arrangement. All KK's have a fairly large ash area under the lump basket. You'll easily get 5-10 cooks before needing to clean out the ash. 

Most people fill the basket full of lump, do a cook then shut it down. There will be unused lump leftover. Next cook use a stick of some kind to stir the leftover lump then top it off with fresh lump and fire it up for the next cook. You can go on like this for 5-10 cooks before cleaning it out. 

• Like 2

Congratulations @orthopod!  I absolutely love the 22" table top.  What colour did you choose?  I am looking forward to seeing it in situ.

Whenever there is a conversation about cleaning KKs there are the brushers and the vaccers.  I still have not worked out what a "shop vac" is.  Is it a known thing in the US?

Here I bought this really simple and effective vacuum cleaner.  It was super cheap as well, under £30 if I remember correctly.  The only maintenance required is to wash the filter out every 5-10 uses depending on the amount of stuff you hoovered up. 

You don't get much simpler or lighter than this:

1675326828_GKTR4oiT4yOnGTziEZdw.thumb.jpg.5377f0843b259f628394ca90b7ddc7f0.jpg 

1591803652_ASp8V5OSqLpeqBCRsKMQ.thumb.jpg.75bf772cb91ced4e85fe9f1029d4b82c.jpg

50203952_0kH12ha8RuuBWlQDXy3Wg.thumb.jpg.b4e864f90d068635effc6346b8d35769.jpg

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Congratulations @orthopod!  I absolutely love the 22" table top.  What colour did you choose?  I am looking forward to seeing it in situ.

Whenever there is a conversation about cleaning KKs there are the brushers and the vaccers.  I still have not worked out what a "shop vac" is.  Is it a known thing in the US?

Here I bought this really simple and effective vacuum cleaner.  It was super cheap as well, under £30 if I remember correctly.  The only maintenance required is to wash the filter out every 5-10 uses depending on the amount of stuff you hoovered up. 

You don't get much simpler or lighter than this:

1675326828_GKTR4oiT4yOnGTziEZdw.thumb.jpg.5377f0843b259f628394ca90b7ddc7f0.jpg 

1591803652_ASp8V5OSqLpeqBCRsKMQ.thumb.jpg.75bf772cb91ced4e85fe9f1029d4b82c.jpg

50203952_0kH12ha8RuuBWlQDXy3Wg.thumb.jpg.b4e864f90d068635effc6346b8d35769.jpg

That's what us Americans call a shop vac. 

• Like 1

Ha ha ha.  Good to know that I discovered the shop vac even though I didn't know what one was.  For UK folk, here is the link in case you are interested...https://www.domu.co.uk/vonhaus-25l-ash-vacuum.   I am also interested in the fact that @orthopod threw us off the scent with his question and still hasn't told us much about his KK or when it is arriving!

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 4:51 AM, tekobo said:

Ha ha ha.  Good to know that I discovered the shop vac even though I didn't know what one was.  For UK folk, here is the link in case you are interested...https://www.domu.co.uk/vonhaus-25l-ash-vacuum.   I am also interested in the fact that @orthopod threw us off the scent with his question and still hasn't told us much about his KK or when it is arriving!

Ok Thanks for all the reply’s-sorry so delinquent in my response I got excited I ordered it and wanted to start planning on using it. 

Rain in Atlanta has delayed our cabana project severely- 

i got got the metallic bronze and it’s beautiful. I his think is built like a tank. I’m worried about moving it in place. It’s going into a slightly sunken cabana . 

Thanks for all the ideas/ I’m going to order a shop vac, because we also have an outdoor fireplace that will need cleaning out!

I’m going to post a different thread to ask about moving this beast! 

• Like 2