tekobo

My KK, Konro and Binchotan

Digging up an old post here.

A friend just introduced me to the Binchotan charcoal here and there seems to be only one supplier in Australia- Chefs Armoury at $26/kg!!!!!!!!! That's about US$8/lb. Crikey that's more than I pay for most prime cuts.

I'd never seen it before.

There is no doubt the product is unique. It's heavy, hard, quite beautiful and seems more like coal, or petrified wood.

IMG_2316.thumb.JPG.6bdb165c40989443ce0ce0331089b508.JPG

Dennis do you know what they are doing differently in their process that makes it so unique?

IMG_2318.thumb.JPG.a98aabc036da8a582a5f45a1f3add046.JPG

• Like 1

Hey there @Basher.  There are some good videos/articles online about the production of Binchotan.  Will see if I can dig some up..

This is a bookmark that I saved but there are many other links about how binchotan is made.  I am guessing Dennis won't like it because it involves cutting down trees but they do have to conserve the source to make it sustainable  http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20160317-the-secret-to-japanese-grilling

Works out "economical" because I don't burn it for general cooks.  I use it in the konro and I extinguish and re-use so individual logs last for 3-4 cooks.  

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 3

On 10/28/2018 at 3:20 AM, tekobo said:

At last! My konro grill arrived on Friday.  It took me by surprise as I'd been sent some tracking data for UPS that didn't work and, by the time I got around to checking it out with the seller, the DHL man was at my door with an enormous, heavy box.   Why was it so big?  Well that is @Syzygies's fault.

Ok, I'm really getting into skewers. I probably want the best Konro I can find.

A dear BBQ friend and I saw a great grill on a street corner cart in Queens Chinatown, a few years ago. The thing was cut and welded together from a few pieces of steel plate; if people take up pottery and woodworking (I have) I could learn metalworking, right? There's that chapter in Aaron Franklin's book where he describes how to turn a recycled 500 gallon propane tank (he uses 1000 gallon tanks at the restaurant, he's cutting us some slack) into a cooker. If one had "basic" metalworking skills. I laughed here, at the same time daydreaming. I have a nephew by marriage that could teach me...

In any case, this skewer grill was an "L" laying on its back. The main section was a trough over which one grilled skewers. At one end was a chimney (all rectilinear) where one added charcoal into the top, raked charcoal embers out the bottom. This was a brilliant design.

Of course, I don't cook all night like they did. I probably want the best Konro I can find. The KK of Konros. What is it?

Edited by Syzygies
  • Like 1

Not much help on the Konro (I own a cheap teriyaki grill), but here's a couple of good sources for the charcoal (Dennis' CocoChar works quite well, too.)

https://www.korin.com/grillware/binchotan-charcoals-and-accessories

I've bookmarked this one on Amazon, but haven't tried it yet. Another Forum member (I wonder who that was? :smt017) has ordered some and promises to post a review. Unfortunately, they aren't stocking the 5lb box right now, only the 22lbs. 

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B089DPDBSH

Edited by tony b

34 minutes ago, tony b said:

Another Forum member (I wonder who that was? :smt017)

Oh that was me. Just came, haven't tried it yet. Looks similar to KK extruded, but I'm expecting a different flavor profile, probably more pronounced. And I build a door-sized shelf into the back of my rear shed just to hold Dennis charcoal, including KK extruded. I have every generation including the first draft that pleased me more than Dennis, and various generations of Sacramento POSK extruded. I'm a hoarder. Cannabis dealers took great care of me in college, because they would come by during a drought. "Oh, you still have that!?" Well, not after they left.

So I won't need to spend $$ on actual binchotan, as much as I miss Japan and admire the stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I can relate Syz. I still have a couple of boxes left of the original RJ cocochar. It was good stuff - even Naked Whiz liked it. I also have Dennis' first attempts at it, too. Pretty good, but he wasn't happy with it (is he ever??) I just keep stacking the newer stuff on top of the old boxes and never seem to get down to them? 

Unlike you, I NEVER had anyone coming round to repurchase my stash! :smt033

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/27/2020 at 3:08 AM, Syzygies said:

Ok, I'm really getting into skewers. I probably want the best Konro I can find.

... I probably want the best Konro I can find. The KK of Konros. What is it?

Funny you should ask.  A few weeks ago @Braai-Q sent me this link to Heston Blumenthal's range of bbqs https://www.everdurebyheston.co.uk/products. He was asking about the Cube and how it compared to the traditional Japanese konro that I have.  It all looks very cool but I am afraid I never even got around to watching the videos on the site.  I am a bit of a traditionalist and I like my reassuringly heavy konro.  All the big chefs here seem to use them and during lockdown I have been watching one chef cook on his extra wide version.   I was surprised that he was using it a bit like a camping stove.  He did grill steaks and things like that but he also made up sauces and slow cooked stews.  It's extra width means that you could also cook longer loaded skewers.  Yes, I would say my KK of konros would either be the Extra Large or Medium Wide here: https://www.korin.com/grillware/konros-basket-grills-nets-and-bases

• Like 4

On 6/29/2020 at 10:40 AM, tekobo said:

Funny you should ask.  A few weeks ago @Braai-Q sent me this link to Heston Blumenthal's range of bbqs https://www.everdurebyheston.co.uk/products. He was asking about the Cube and how it compared to the traditional Japanese konro that I have.  It all looks very cool but I am afraid I never even got around to watching the videos on the site.  I am a bit of a traditionalist and I like my reassuringly heavy konro.  All the big chefs here seem to use them and during lockdown I have been watching one chef cook on his extra wide version.   I was surprised that he was using it a bit like a camping stove.  He did grill steaks and things like that but he also made up sauces and slow cooked stews.  It's extra width means that you could also cook longer loaded skewers.  Yes, I would say my KK of konros would either be the Extra Large or Medium Wide here: https://www.korin.com/grillware/konros-basket-grills-nets-and-bases

I don't know if Heston is the KK of Konros. I've not seen one, but don't know anyone who has seen one. They mythically exist online and I doubt they will touch a KK in quality. I know Dennis is safe.

I'm like you @tekobo in being a traditionalist but sometimes validation is good.

Heston has this habit of messing around with everything and sometimes things don't need to be reinvented. Every now and again, I'll see some of his range in Waitrose (for those who don't know, Waitrose is the premium supermarket in the UK and he has a product range with them). It's generally fairly exotic, expensive and in my experience, frequently disappointing. I regret being sucked in by the concept and packaging and I rather fear that his foray into BBQ will be much the same. Although that said, I do have a Sage Slow Cooker with his endorsement and it's excellent. 

I'll report back if I ever get to see any of the Everdure products in person. 

Edited by Braai-Q
  • Like 2

Braai there are plenty in our retail shops here.

They are pretty sexy, mostly extruded aluminium body.

I haven’t heard bad reports from a cooking point of view. Build quality looks ok.

Totally different product to KK. I don’t know any bbq that compares to KK. Even a BGE is a totally different product even though cooking methods may be similar.

Kind of Art Deco looking design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 1:33 PM, Basher said:

Braai there are plenty in our retail shops here.

They are pretty sexy, mostly extruded aluminium body.

I haven’t heard bad reports from a cooking point of view. Build quality looks ok.

Totally different product to KK. I don’t know any bbq that compares to KK. Even a BGE is a totally different product even though cooking methods may be similar.

Kind of Art Deco looking design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting feedback @Basher, ta. 

I must say that from some of the pictures I've seen, it does look like it's of a decent build standard and finish. Assume the finish is powder coat - it has a texture to it which suggests that - is that right?

I was thinking that I might get one as a beach BBQ and liked the fact that it could double up as an indoor konro. Why I had a chat with @tekobo about traditional versus contemporary modernist equivalent. 

I'm inclined to take the view of any KK owner on this forum as informed and discriminating if you've got the good taste to buy a KK so might look one out. 

BGE and Kamado Joe are primitive and agricultural in comparison to a KK. The lid mechanism is terrible and the finish. Just no. I was deeply unimpressed by them when I was buying my first KK and little has changed to convince me otherwise.

• Like 1

I had fun re-visiting this thread just now.  Some old friends are still around, others have moved on to pastures new.  All good. In the hood.  As @Tyrus would say.  So...a cooking programme here called the Great British Menu has these new style konro grills called kasai being used by the chefs who come on to compete.  I was curious because, up until last year, they were using the traditional Japanese konro grills.  It turns out they are British made and had some fun new accessories available.  They are not sized the same as the traditional konros and I found that my medium konro approximates to their Little Kasai.  What a treasure trove of fun accessories!  https://www.sousvidetools.com/japanese-bbq-s

I could not resist and am now the proud owner of a heat mat, a 50:50 plancha and a skewer rack.  I can't wait to use them!

image.thumb.jpeg.016e5e1fbbb1971e830ae5a8e9cdfe95.jpeg

IMG_2061.jpeg

IMG_2063.jpeg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, tekobo said:

In the hood

I can't seem to remember, was that in the neighborhood or under the hood since we be talking BBQ and all.  Quite the niffty gadget you have there Tekebo, looks like a place to dock your sword, but in reality it's a little magic BBQ. Sometime smaller is better, looks interesting, yep, looks like you could do your meat on one side and veggies next door. I like it, you always have to see what's hidden behind the next door don't yah, you'd be good on Let's make a deal, no Zonk here.

Zonk isn't a who, it's something gone awry. At least in the game show Let's Make a Deal, here the contestant is given say a thousand $ and then offered the opportunity by way of choice to either trade it for what's behind the curtain or the box directly beside them. Inside one of those choices lies a Zonk, a worthless prize. Not to be confused with the Gronk or even Larry Csonka, they all sound alike but have totally different meanings. Hope this clears things up, so for you I meant with your intuitive curiousity is that your always coming up with the new approach and idea hence, your piece is a winner.

5 hours ago, tekobo said:

Who is Zonk?

Edited by Tyrus
  • Haha 1