Jon B.

Meat Slicer Advice Needed

About 10 years ago I bought what I thought was a decent meat slicer from Sam's Club.  Had a 8" slicing wheel and did a decent job making thin slices for sandwiches.

The problem was.....cleaning the unit after using it.  The feeder slide stayed on the motor base, major meat scraps built up behind the blade, there cracks a & crevices that held food scraps.  It would take 30 minutes, a roll of paper towels and a bottle of cleaner to make the unit safe to store & use again (after slicing for 5 minutes).

Because I dreaded cleaning it,  I had not used it for 5 years. 

Last night I dug it out of the cupboard to slice a leftover prime rib roast I didn't want to waste.  Took me 20 minutes to clean before using and after slicing the meat...............I tossed the entire P.O.S. in the trash.   It is almost impossible to clean it to make it safe to use. 

Question......are there any better ways/tools/methods to thin slice food without the major clean up/contamination issues???   What do you use???

Might just have to dig out my Hamilton Beach "Hole-In-The-Handle" electric knife :grin:  

Edited by Jon B.
  • Sad 1

I have and use a commercial Hobart slicer i picked it up used on ebay years ago all the parts come off and very easy to clean.

the only drawback is its a space hog and heavy you wont be moving this from place to place so if you have the room and its going to go in one spot then i would go with a Hobart

• Like 2

Hoping MacKenzie chimes in Jon, as I think she likes the one she has.

I'm not terribly fond of mine. While it's very easy to disassemble and clean, it doesn't do a great job at thin slicing. I bought it to slice my homemade bacon and pastrami, but the meat wants to stick to the blade and the slices want to go on a spin instead of falling off into the tray. It's a Chef's Choice Model 609. Picked it up on sale - you get what you pay for! 

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies.  The unit I had worked OK but I never felt it was clean enough.  I think what I need to do is look at some different models in person and make sure that they come apart nicely for cleaning. 

My slicing needs are minimal and there is a huge price range over the different models..........decisions........decisions???????

Tony.....in my limited research, I did see they make different cutting blades that have different features & advantages.    

MacKenzie......yes, a trip to Bass Pro store is in order.  We have a couple big ones around here. 

• Like 1

I bought the Chefs Choice 615 two years ago and it works fine for my needs. I did buy the non serrated blade too.
Your needs sound similar to mine. I’m not running a sub shop or commercial operation. I slice bacon, various cuts of meat, and occasionally cabbage.
It’s pretty easy to clean and maintain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1