Car Doc

Cook time advise needed

Hello to the KK community.

I am looking for some cook time advise for a cook I have coming up this weekend on my new BB32.   I will be smoking 2 -  14 to 16 lbs packer briskets and 2 -  8 to 10 lbs pork butts for a lot of people I have never met before and everything has to be timed correctly. I usually smoke at 225 degrees for the duration of the cook and usually leave the meat unwrapped the entire time. 

I have smoked a lot of briskets and pork butts on a XL Big Green Egg that I used to have and my Yoder YS640 pellet smoker.  I have only used the BB32 ( Big Momo ) one time doing a prime rib and it turned out great. 

Any advise on the average amount of time for this cook would be very much appreciated and would help me to keep everyone at the party fat and happy with great food off of the KK. 

Thank you,

Car Doc

Start earlier and plan to take off long before your guests arrive. You can leave those briskets in the cooler for some time wrapped in foil and towel for awhile and they should fair well.  Briskets can be a funny lot and sometime are difficult pushing the envelope on time.  That"s what I would do and have done in the past. Choice vs prime, I find the prime cooking faster for some reason...but they stay easily 3 or 4 hrs in the cooler. You should do well,... time, temp and size are all variables, easily planned for if you've previously cooked them as you have, just give yourself some space. Good luck

The packer briskets I have done have been at 225 and have taken roughly 1.25 hours per pound. I generally wrap them with pink butcher paper when internal temps hit 170 or so. I think you really need some rest time in a cooler to get close to that perfect brisket we chase. Plus it helps hedge your bets.

With that much meat going on, you really want to make sure it is properly heat soaked as well.