BalconySmoken

How much smoke can I expect to annoy neighbours with?

Hi,

I moved countries last year and some things that didn’t come with me were my bbqs. We really miss the grilling and smoking and how I am getting some pressure to get something over here. The problem is I live in a condo.

I had a Weber smoker at home, but have always had my eye on a KK  - this May be my chance to get one. However I am a bit worried about pissing off all the neighbours. I am thinking of the 23’’ for clarity. So a couple of questions to help me please;

1) when you are lighting the KK - how much smoke comes out and how thick is it. Also he how Long to get it going (I see on the forums a lot of people have the lid closed when getting the coals going which is different to the Weber). On the Weber this was when most smoke was created and it could get pretty thick!

2)when cooking Low and slow how much smoke can I expect to come out. I am less concerned with the wonderful aroma of the meat as this could come from anywhere but a smoke trail will lead people straight to me!

3) for cooking steaks  of anything hotter - again how much smoke

I plan on asking my upper neighbours first but it would be really helpful if I could get some guidance on smoke expectations.

thanks!

This depends on several things. The charcoal you use can smoke quite a bit when you light it, they’re all different.

If you cook at lower temperatures, you’ll get less over all smoke conversely, higher temps will give more. With the higher temps, like steaks, this really isn’t smoke, it’s what you’re getting when the rendering fat drips on the coals...but people still call it smoke.

A kk is the single best outdoor cooker you can buy, but it’s not capable of eliminating smoke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1