Steve M

A proper home for the kk

It's been a long winter so between the weather and a small injury woodworking, I haven't been able to finish up the trim on the kitchen. The first thing I need to finish is the backsplash so the electrician can finish up and I will have power everywhere.

Here is the first tease:

Things don't look quite right but I'm sure it will work out.

This is the area that goes behind the bar. I'm putting a few of my favorites on the backsplash including this one. I still have to fill in the umbrella color and fill that cavity. He looks to be in some pain but not for long:

IMG_5874.thumb.JPG.d89e0600c9d23225295b9aa46e2ef256.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bruce Pearson said:

That’s gonna be a cool backsplash! What make is your CBC machine? Looking forward to the finished project.

It's a CNC Routerparts machine. I researched them for a long time and although it requires assembly, it is built so much better than others in the price class. This thing is a tank.

• Like 1

Oddly enough, the Wordsmith magazine I received today had the plans (part one) to build one's own CNC Router. Of course, since it is from Wordsmith, the bed and gantry are made from wood. Part two, next month, will have the electronic controllers and wiring plans.

9 hours ago, jonj said:

Oddly enough, the Wordsmith magazine I received today had the plans (part one) to build one's own CNC Router. Of course, since it is from Wordsmith, the bed and gantry are made from wood. Part two, next month, will have the electronic controllers and wiring plans.

My first CNC was really small and the gantry was made out of hard plastic. I found I really needed the rigidity to do these inlays. The frustration is what caused me to go big and sturdy.

8 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Have to applaud you gents, I have 3 routers  and use them for edging, dado and basic joinery,  Good show, will have to join u one day

The CNC is a blast to use and production power is empowering. I built quite a few cabinets for my house about a year ago and you could literally sit down at a computer with the basic dimensions of what you wanted to build and be cutting all the parts 10 minutes later.

This was one of my favorite projects last year. The sculptured part was done on the CNC. It is 2 sided and took about 22 hours of solid carving. Everything is solid mahogany.

1021009092_mahoganygate.thumb.jpg.ef16d78ea1be8a772cc06ece7cd0466d.jpg

• Like 7

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.